Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I am starting to think seriously about retirement. I live in Seattle, and just spent Thanksgiving in Palm Springs, CA. I need more sun! More blue sky. More days to ride the Bobber.

I'm thinking about the Southwest of the USA. All the usual suspects...CA, AZ, NM, NV etc. The perfect location would be 75-80 degrees F all year round. Can handle too hot way better than too cold. I have done too cold all my life :crying:

Any thoughts on the perfect retirement spot in SW USA?

- Pasta

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Hi Pasta,

I have lived in most of those places and when I first moved to the US started off just south of Seattle.

For me the best place for weather and riding was in Northern New Mexico. I personally wouldn't live in California, however the north eastern part of that state is really beautiful.

Northern Arizona is great but it's getting really expensive and the towns/cities are really spread out, so riding can mean long/hot days of nothing. If you like Arizona (and I do) then Prescott is really hard to beat.

In contrast I found Northern New Mexico can be really economical in many areas, wonderful weather and as many little towns and mountain roads as you could hope for on a motorcycle. Plus the Latino history and culture is really wonderful.

I'm up in the Colorado mountains now, another stunning place but of course long winters at our altitude.

I'm sure there will be plenty of more knowledgable advice than I can offer but whatever you decide, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio and good luck,

Roy

P.s. As an afterthought and just for fun, here are some pictures of my bike in Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are looking for one of the best climates to live in look no further than southern California... if you are looking for a place that seems affordable to retire in look far past southern California.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are looking for one of the best climates to live in look no further than southern California... if you are looking for a place that seems affordable to retire in look far past southern California.
This ^^^^. Palm Springs is great during the winter and spring.... but summertime can get HOT, to the point where riding would be a challenge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
California is expensive!
Yeh don’t move her if your gonna be on a tight budget. California is not cheap when it comes of cost of housing. Maybe in the desert or something it’s more affordable but not in any major city here.

AZ is just **** hot in the summer. Like 114 hot on average

·
Super Moderator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell me more about the problems with California. I get that housing is more expensive, but after that consideration is CA more expensive in general?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Tell me more about the problems with California. I get that housing is more expensive, but after that consideration is CA more expensive in general?
We live in Palo Alto part time to be close to our grand kids. Everything is so expensive out there. For example, my wife and I went to a burger joint for lunch. We had burgers, fries, and shakes. My bill was over $50. :surprise: I can get the same exact lunch in North Carolina for $25.

In California gas is more expensive. Trade services (plumber, painter, roofer) are more expensive (if you can find someone to do the work). Groceries are more expensive. I could go on . . .

In North Carolina I can leave my house and be on country roads in 10 min. From where I live in Palo Alto I have to drive/ride 30 to 45 min. just to get to some decent country roads. Don't even think about riding/driving in rush hour traffic.

Last week in Californai you had to wear a mask so that you wouldn't breathe the smoke from the fires. :|

Our son wants us to move to California permanently but I keep resisting. (My wife and son will eventually win.)

If I could move to my favorite place it would be in or near the mountains of North Carolina. The prices are moderate. The winter doesn't get too cold. There are so many places to ride that I could never ride them all.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Palo Alto is beloved by many, particularly those who live there. Mostly for the weather, which is consistently good. But, it is expensive and there’s lots of traffic because of all the tech companies. But, further north is Humboldt County, less city, beautifully scenic, near the Redwoods, a lot of great riding roads and full of people who don’t want San Francisco. Worth a look. Probably not really inexpensive but, certainly not San Fran prices, which nothing is these days.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To summarize California - The closer to water you want to be, the higher the cost of living tend to be. If you are ok with the "desert" lifestyle than there are some affordable place to live out here but keep in mind, the affordable places are still on par with some of the expensive places in other states.

I am originally from Pennsylvania and decided to move due to my hatred of the winter months. Moving west was one of the best decisions I have ever made... but I know that retiring here is a pipe dream. You will eat up any funds in half the time or less if not due to cost of living it will be because you couldn't help yourself with all of the fun things to do out here.

365 days of good riding is very appealing though...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed!

I am a bit torn. As a thrifty Scot, I like not spending money, and CA is definitely more expensive than other places. On the other hand, why is it more expensive? Because people want to live there, that's why!

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
This may or may not be important to you, as you consider options,

But one of my main reasons for never wanting to live in California is the restrictive firearms laws. As an Englishman who lived through a number of bans in the UK and eventually had to hand in my handguns during the 1997 ban, I'm thrilled to have more freedom here in the wonderful US of A.

As mentioned this may or may not be a consideration to you personally but for me it is, so thought it worth a mention.

On a note regard the cost of living in CA. We moved my mother in law on her retirement from Olympia WA to Monterey CA a few years back. Within 12 months the cost of living was so awful it had almost depleted here entire savings. As a result we ended up moving her again and this time to Prescott AZ, where she still lives and very happily too.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
114 Posts
This may or may not be important to you, as you consider options,

But one of my main reasons for never wanting to live in California is the restrictive firearms laws. As an Englishman who lived through a number of bans in the UK and eventually had to hand in my handguns during the 1997 ban, I'm thrilled to have more freedom here in the wonderful US of A.

As mentioned this may or may not be a consideration to you personally but for me it is, so thought it worth a mention.

….
Smart man. And it is not only with firearms, it with most everything.... including bike parts. The liberalism here is unbelievable. The rest of the country is known as free America.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Palo Alto is beloved by many, particularly those who live there. Mostly for the weather, which is consistently good. But, it is expensive and there’s lots of traffic because of all the tech companies. But, further north is Humboldt County, less city, beautifully scenic, near the Redwoods, a lot of great riding roads and full of people who don’t want San Francisco. Worth a look. Probably not really inexpensive but, certainly not San Fran prices, which nothing is these days.
Lots of traffic, but you can split lanes if you have the guts. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am starting to think seriously about retirement. I live in Seattle, and just spent Thanksgiving in Palm Springs, CA. I need more sun! More blue sky. More days to ride the Bobber.

I'm thinking about the Southwest of the USA. All the usual suspects...CA, AZ, NM, NV etc. The perfect location would be 75-80 degrees F all year round. Can handle too hot way better than too cold. I have done too cold all my life :crying:

Any thoughts on the perfect retirement spot in SW USA?

- Pasta
I live in Southern California
Pros:
Great Year Round Weather for Riding (very few Rain days) Snow only in the Mountains.
Great Topography/Geography...where I live I am an hour away from the mountains where it can snow, and about 1.5 hours from the beach, desert is about 30 minutes away
Only State where you can legally Split Lanes

Cons:
Expensive
LOTS and LOTS of Cagers who are very distracted on their Cell Phones from Texting and they get extremely aggressive when traffic is just beginning to get heavy
LOTS of Laws (**** near everything is regulated to death)
Expensive Gas (but who cares if you are riding almost everyday?)
LOTS of BS Emission Laws and Noise Laws
VERY Expensive to buy a house
HIGH Taxes
Lots of Leftwing Insanity

IMHO
Arizona is BETTER
Pros:
More Freedom
Lower Housing Cost
Lower Taxes
Cheaper Gas

Cons: