Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Lads & Lasses,

In contrast to my home country of England, the Summer here in Arizona can be a tad intense, so not quite as much riding as one would hope (my wife has read me the riot act on getting sun burnt again :surprise:). So I'm really looking forward to the fast approaching Fall & Winter for lots of riding and some camping.

With that in mind I have some large and small mods on the cards over the next few weeks and will plan to update threads, start new ones where appropriate, so fingers crossed all goes well and lots of exciting upgrades and posts to come.

Mid week Charlotte is going in for a belt drive conversion, so this will be my last big project for now.

Other projects pending:
Powder coating small parts (various projects).
Powder coating large parts
Headlight (blackout project)
Re posiiton exhasut
More replacement bolts (for my blackout project)
Maybe side panels custom paint (secret project all hush hush :wink2:)
Hard pannier support brackets
New battery
Sprocket cover project (don't ask more about this soon.:wink2:)

Am I finished yet...? :surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
229 Posts
The belt conversion really interests me! What kit are you using? I didn’t try it because I just assumed it voided the warranty. Keep us posted on all you small and large mods. You are the inspiration (and guinea pig) for a lot of mods and innovative ideas on this forum. The belt conversion is a pretty radical mod so I’m excited to see how it works out.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Jay,

The conversion is by Free Sprits and I purchase it a few months back from Brian at A&J (see pic).

I've never really been a fan of chain-drive. Shaft if my favorite but belt would be a good second choice, so it was always my longterm plan to go that route.

I'm hoping all goes well and will of course update as and when.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Belt drive is great. Had one on my Buell Xbr 12 and it never needed adjustment in over a year and a good few trackdays too.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Great upgrades, Roy! Congrats.

Re the belt...Are you doing the install yourself ?
Make sure you have someone you trust do it, as it involves cutting in order to be able to insert the belt.
It’s an install for a seasoned mechanic and not a novice.

Also, the belt needs to have very little movement (i.e when moving it up and down with your finger), so I recommend using one of these which I’m sure @AandJCycles can supply:

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that mate.

My mechanic is very experienced, mostly of v-twins (which have lots of belts). He (and his buddy) do a lot of custom work and are very experienced. I have had him do a few smaller jobs before, partly to get a feel for their work ethic, hence my having the belt drive sitting here for a few months, so I'm as confident as I can be.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I was thinking of installing a chain on the left and leaving the belt on the right. I just can’t bear the grass always being greener on the other side....>:)

I much prefer the way the bike rides with the belt.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My HD Fatboy has had the same belt since 2000 and 45M miles and showing almost no wear or cracking, nor have I adjusted it for stretch. Belt is certainly the way to go for less weight and no maintenance. The only negatives are the greater width than a chain and replacement is costly, the swinger has to be removed for installation.

Chico

·
Registered
138 Posts
Iam just curious of the ratio of the rear and front sprocket of the kit compared to the original. Will it give a better low or high end for the bike? The good thing for Belts you dont need to oil them unlike the Chain. Like what Chico said no maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Iam just curious of the ratio of the rear and front sprocket of the kit compared to the original. Will it give a better low or high end for the bike? The good thing for Belts you dont need to oil them unlike the Chain. Like what Chico said no maintenance.
No idea on the difference it will make to the gear ratio. Perhaps some of the chaps who have done this can answer that one?

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Vendor
507 Posts
Gear ratio is same as stock. May possibly feel a little quicker do to the lightening of the rotating mass.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just saw in the website of free spirit it says its slightly lower in ratio. 61/27 which comes to 2.25 in ratio compared to 1.94 of the original. I guess thats why it feels quicker in acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well dropped my Bobber off this morning so I'm without a ride...:crying:

Fingers crossed all goes well with the belt drive conversion but will of course throw up a full report in due course.

As I was waiting for my wife to pick me up there was a HD rider on his phone telling his mate all about the 'sick Triumph' he was looking out..:smile2: Eventually realized it was mine and kindly asked permission to take loads of photos to send his friend.:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts