Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2018 Bobber a couple of days ago. While I think the stock exhaust sounds so-so and is an improvement over what stock bike exhausts used to sound like (pfff-pfff-pfff), I think I want a little more.

I first looked while at the dealer and saw the V&H but the price is a little more than I want to pay just for some extra sound plus I don't like the billet tips.

The BC Sleeper Pro pipes look nice and the price is better than the V&H. If anyone has them, how does the finish match the rest of the stock brushed SS exhaust? I understand they will give a deeper sound but do they also add sound volume?

I don't plan to remove the cat so would the BC Performance tips be obnoxious loud? I know it is subjective but I'm 62 years old now so I no longer am looking to scare children and little old ladies.

For reference, a couple of months ago I sold my 2014 Ducati Monster 1200S on which I had the Termignoni full race exhaust. LOUD but such pretty music at the same time (Ducs just have such a great sound). I don't really want the Bobber that loud.

So again, how does the finish on the BC mufflers match the stock head pipes and does the Sleeper Pro add some volume without being too much?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I can understand why no one will answer the sound question. But, will someone tell me if the brushed finish of the British Customs slip on matches the brushed finish of the stock headpipes?

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I received the BC Sleeper Pro slip ons but have yet to install them as my bike is in storage. IMO the brushed finish of the BC slip ons match the brushed finish of the stock headpipes. I can’t vouch for the sound but I had these slip ons on my T100 and really loved the sound. They were throaty and definitely louder than OEM but certainly not obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys and especially MikeB for your direct comparison of the finish (and sound with your previous bike).

I ordered the Sleeper Pros from a site supporter, A&J Cycles. They actually had the best price I could find on the net and on top of that they gave an extra forum member discount. I also went ahead and got a Booster Plug. I have one on my BMW which has a Acrapovic slipon. Without the Booster Plug I get lots of decel popping but with it very little to no popping so it must be working.

I know it is a matter of opinion but I think the Sleeper Pros are the best looking mufflers for the Bobber, even better than the OEM.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Thanks guys and especially MikeB for your direct comparison of the finish (and sound with your previous bike).

I ordered the Sleeper Pros from a site supporter, A&J Cycles. They actually had the best price I could find on the net and on top of that they gave an extra forum member discount. I also went ahead and got a Booster Plug. I have one on my BMW which has a Acrapovic slipon. Without the Booster Plug I get lots of decel popping but with it very little to no popping so it must be working.

I know it is a matter of opinion but I think the Sleeper Pros are the best looking mufflers for the Bobber, even better than the OEM.
The booster plug works well on the bobber and seriously cut down decel popping on my one.

I know it’s a bit off topic, but for linear throttle response and super smooth drive (low RPM) on your BMW, I highly recommend this:
Rapidbike Easy
It turned my LC GSA into the smoothest beemer I’ve ever owned.
If your only mod is a slip on Akra without headers, the “easy” will suffice.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I like the Zards' look and sound. I just hope I can fit them 'wrong way round' so I can have the logos facing inside the bike and not out. Or maybe they'll do them special order without the logo.

- P

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I like the Zards' look and sound. I just hope I can fit them 'wrong way round' so I can have the logos facing inside the bike and not out. Or maybe they'll do them special order without the logo.

- P
Hey Pasta.
You won´t be able to twist them around or install them the wrong way round due to the fixing points and way they are manufactured.
Your best bet would be to ask them to make you a non-branded pair, though I´m not sure how they will react to that request (worst case is a flat out refusal).
By the way, from all the slip ons i´ve owned, this bronze one is my favorite. It does not look as bad as you think (though i respect the fact that maybe you really can´t stand it at all).
Here are some pics:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Someone posted a vid (in Asia) of a Bobber with Zards pulling away. I’ll see if I can find it again on YouTube.
But I can tell you....the Zards without dBkillers and Xpipe installed are mighty loud!!
I’m not taking my dBkillers out again. They are such a PITA to put back in and get them to sit in position properly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I really like about the Sleeper Pro is the clean look, no end caps, no badges and nice flowing lines.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Eisen77, would it be possible to swap the slipons.? Right to left which would put the logo on the inside
I had the same thought. Not a fan of the big oval on the pipes. There are quite a few other options out there right now and sure to be more on the way with the large number of Bobbers being sold.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same thought. Not a fan of the big oval on the pipes. There are quite a few other options out there right now and sure to be more on the way with the large number of Bobbers being sold.
You could drill out those pop rivets remove the badge, replace the pop rivets.
As the Zards have other pop rivets exposed it wouldn't look so bad, IMO

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received the Sleeper Pros today. I didn't have time to do anything but open the box. I held them next to the bike and the finish looks great together, a little more silver but I think they will turn a little more golden like the rest of the system with a few heat/cool cycles. And even if they don't, it is close enough that most won't notice the difference.

Then I looked through the mufflers to see just what kind of baffle they have. Uhm, these things don't have what I'd call a traditional baffel. I consider a baffel a blockage in the flow path such that you can't see straight through, at least not the full diameter. Nothing like that in the Sleeper Pros I have. I don't know what the BC drag pipes look like inside but I'd guess similar. The flow path seems to be the same diameter all the way through the Sleepers but since the outside casing is larger than the drag pipes, maybe there is more room for gas/sound expansion through the perforated inner tube making them quiter than the drag pipes. I was a little concerned that they wouldn't be much different than stock after hearing that they have baffels, this was a plesant surprise. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I'll get them mounted and the Booster Plug installed.

I installed an app on my tablet that works similar to a DB meter, I plan to do a before / after comparison. While not a true DB meter, it should give me more than a comparison by ear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The BC drag pipes are straight through. They’re loud while in my parking building but not too crazy when you get out in the street. Honestly I think my scrambler with the arrow exhausts with no baffles are louder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
How do you install the kickstand bump stop? No instructions came with the pipes and the mounting bolts are too short. Any help is appreciated!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts