Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of waiting for it to come out, so I followed another members idea with purchasing the Pan Light for a street twin and making it fit on the bobber. It took a bit of cutting and drilling, but is by far my favorite tail solution for this bike. All of the pieces that were cut or drilled would be covered by the stock light if I put it back on.

Big thanks to Sean at British Customs for the long email chain back and forth last week before I ordered it.

Also done this weekend was moto gadget bar end signals from A and J Cycles. Will also be installing the X Arc for the rear by the airbox next.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks real good simple clean.

I want to do this on the short fender and I want it to follow the curves of the fender.

I think I’ll simply order the light and figure something out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like it a lot... great job! It would have been my choice if I hadn't went the side-plate route.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Love this setup! If someone made something like this for the short fender, I'd probably be rolling with it instead of the side plate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Love this setup! If someone made something like this for the short fender, I'd probably be rolling with it instead of the side plate.
Well Ysoslo, I’ve been thinking for the longest time( a month or so ) how this could also work. Before I bought the bobber I almost pulled the trigger on a sporster and this attached was the inspiration for a build. The end of the rear fender of this 1200 although unlike the bobber short fender is kind of similar in that it cuts short and at that point is parallel with the road just like the bobbers short fender.

I kind of envisioned putting the plate on the bobber at a similar angle resting on the supplied plastic capping provided with the bobber fender used to hide wiring and installing turn signals, make sense?

Also i was thinking, if i could angle the license plate more and have it extend slightly past the bobber short fender i may even install the rear brake light as in the British Custom one just peeking over the plate.

Not sure if I’m being clear but I have something like this in mind.

Just an excuse to work my brain on a wintery night!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well Ysoslo, I’ve been thinking for the longest time( a month or so ) how this could also work. Before I bought the bobber I almost pulled the trigger on a sporster and this attached was the inspiration for a build. The end of the rear fender of this 1200 although unlike the bobber short fender is kind of similar in that it cuts short and at that point is parallel with the road just like the bobbers short fender.

I kind of envisioned putting the plate on the bobber at a similar angle resting on the supplied plastic capping provided with the bobber fender used to hide wiring and installing turn signals, make sense?

Also i was thinking, if i could angle the license plate more and have it extend slightly past the bobber short fender i may even install the rear brake light as in the British Custom one just peeking over the plate.

Not sure if I’m being clear but I have something like this in mind.

Just an excuse to work my brain on a wintery night!

Yes, I have actually been wondering the same thing -- is it possible to mount the license plate centered on basically a half fender? Or would LE get you for it not be readable enough. (In the US, rules for plate mounting varies greatly depending on state, and enforcement of existing rules seems to be very unpredictable. So in MD, where I am, verticle side plates are illegal, unlike many other states, and when I ask around some guys say they do it without ever getting a ticket, and others say they've gotten several. So hard to predict...)

·
Registered
180 Posts
As our licence plate is quite big, this is my solution ..

That looks real good Harry, nice job. Stock long fender cut back with aftermarket fender brace or modified fender brace with turn signal tabs welded on?

This now has me thinking, what if, using stock fender, cut back a little longer than the aftermarket short fender but using the aftermarket fender support? License plate down the middle, bates lamp or similar as Harry’s , turn signals each side, might have something here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As you say, cut back stock fender and stock fender brace with welded tabs. My next: Biltwell Tracker High handlebars - stock Miniapes are too high for me

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
As you say, cut back stock fender and stock fender brace with welded tabs. My next: Biltwell Tracker High handlebars - stock Miniapes are too high for me
You'll really like the higher bars. They definitely take some pressure off my back on rides, which is very appreciated on long days (300 miles+). Love everything you've done so far!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I agree with you that the plate looks better centered which is what made me go this route. I hope British Customs makes these, but I can see why it’s taking them longer to develop something plug and play.

Just got my x-arc signals put on this morning to match up with the moto gadget bar ends for the front. These are even brighter than I was expecting, which is great for LA traffic. Brian at A and J cycles got me sorted out with the right hardware to mount to the air box bolts. Parts made it to California in less than 3 days.

I get normal speed blinks right out of the box, but my hazards don’t work, so I may play around with the mode to see if that fixes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
You'll really like the higher bars. They definitely take some pressure off my back on rides, which is very appreciated on long days (300 miles+). Love everything you've done so far!
Did you find longer cables to go with the higher bars..?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I just went with the Triumph high bar wire kit. With non-Triumph higher bars, you'll likely need custom length cables, as the stock cables don't have a lot of extra length, and the high bar cables might be too long for not-so-high bars from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just went with the Triumph high bar wire kit. With non-Triumph higher bars, you'll likely need custom length cables, as the stock cables don't have a lot of extra length, and the high bar cables might be too long for not-so-high bars from another manufacturer.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts