Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey chaps,

As some will know I fitted a new brake reservoir top a couple of days ago. It leaks a little on my first outing and I found the two screws were not as tight as they could be... so I gave them a good nip up and thought/hoped all would be well.

I’ve headed out again tonight and I’m relatively far from home... I’ve stopped off some fuel and noticed them at there is still a little liquid just below the top cap. It’s litrelly just a couple of spot but my concern is two fold... one... it’s onviously not ideal to be losing brake fluid... two... and probably my main concern is if little drips end up on my painted surfaces, (matte black) that it will destroy it.

So my questions are... a.m. I write in assuming the brake fluid will kill my paint job?

Also... is there a seal or sealant that I should be using? It’s nice and tight now so can’t quite understand where I’m going wrong.

Any advice or words of comfort prior to me heading home would be welcomed?

·
Registered
196 Posts
My understanding is that brake fluid will destroy your paint if it sits on it for an extended period of time (e.g. at least overnight) and short exposure to brake fluid will not harm the paint. That said, I expect that the matt paint may be more susceptible to damage.

I experienced a leak once on my T100 after swapping out the MC cover. Like you, I tightened the screws but the leak persisted. I swapped back to the OEM cover and the leak stopped. To me, it didn't make any sense why the aftermarket MC cover would result in a leak. So later I installed the aftermarket MC cover again and there wasn't any leak. My only suspicion was that the new MC cover wasn't seated properly. Also, I ensured that the handlebars were square for several minutes before installing the aftermarket MC cover to minimize any brake fluid contact with the edges of the plastic cap that sits underneath the cover.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Hey chaps,

As some will know I fitted a new brake reservoir top a couple of days ago. It leaks a little on my first outing and I found the two screws were not as tight as they could be... so I gave them a good nip up and thought/hoped all would be well.

I’ve headed out again tonight and I’m relatively far from home... I’ve stopped off some fuel and noticed them at there is still a little liquid just below the top cap. It’s litrelly just a couple of spot but my concern is two fold... one... it’s onviously not ideal to be losing brake fluid... two... and probably my main concern is if little drips end up on my painted surfaces, (matte black) that it will destroy it.

So my questions are... a.m. I write in assuming the brake fluid will kill my paint job?

Also... is there a seal or sealant that I should be using? It’s nice and tight now so can’t quite understand where I’m going wrong.

Any advice or words of comfort prior to me heading home would be welcomed?
I suggest putting the stock one back on and see if the issue stops. Perhaps the new lid is defective.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok... so never being one to give up easily I’ve taken the top off and assessed. The rubber that creates the seal was a little wonky so I’ve given it a good wipe to remove any excesss fluid, reseated it and this time I tightened the screws that hold the top in place a bit at a time just to ensure and even clamp from side to side is created. Also as suggested I levelled off the bike to remove any lean whilst carrying out the above.

What’s people’s thoughts on how tight to make the screws... as tight as possible within reason or just nipped up?

·
Registered
789 Posts
As tight as possible without stripping or damaging the screw. Put the new cover on a piece of glass or a known flat surface and make sure it is not warped!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Is it possible that there was some fluid on the gasket and the drops you saw were the result of squeezing the fluid out when tightening the cap? And yes, brake fluid is kriptonite to painted surfaces.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Didn't you say you used to stock screws as opposed to the ounces that came with the new lid? Maybe try the ones that came with the new lid. Not sure why it would make a difference, but small tolerances can when it comes to fluids.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could try the old school method and put a sweat band round it, like those that tennis players wear. That will mop up any possible leaks, use a white one you will be able to see leak on fabric until you have got to bottom of problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nipped

Ok... so never being one to give up easily I’ve taken the top off and assessed. The rubber that creates the seal was a little wonky so I’ve given it a good wipe to remove any excesss fluid, reseated it and this time I tightened the screws that hold the top in place a bit at a time just to ensure and even clamp from side to side is created. Also as suggested I levelled off the bike to remove any lean whilst carrying out the above.

What’s people’s thoughts on how tight to make the screws... as tight as possible within reason or just nipped up?
As written is perfect.
Check for flatness of new part.
Ensure cleanliness of area before and during installation
Check the seal is not wonky
Cleanliness
Tighten a bit at a time swapping over, do not tighten 1 then move to the other.
Nipping up the screws should be enough, do not tighten as much as possible and hope the threads dont strip, the reservoir doesnt look like steel(I could be wrong) so will likely be aluminium of some time so nice and soft, with maybe insert threads.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This sounds like a nightmare! I didn’t have any issues swapping mine over you must of just been unlucky. :surprise:

How’s it going, have you sorted it?
Yeah less than ideal... after all who wants stripped paint on a brand new bike! But it seems I’ve got away with that at least.

I haven’t ridden it since my ocd refit... I’ll get out on it tomorrow so will report back. Fingers crossed it’ll be fine.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so as it turns out I don’t seem to be able to fight the desire to ride my bike after work as this evening proved to me yet again... after all I needed to see if my tinkering with the reservoir top yesterday had resulted in the brake fluid no longer weeping out... so I had a perfectly legit reason to head out again... right?! :D

In any case I’m really pleased to report that I think I’ve managed to sort the leak :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts