Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of any replacement brake pads that might improve the braking performance of the Bobber? I can't be bothered going through all the hassle of fitting new calipers or any other overly technical fixes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Done a bit of my own research and have seen that brake pads basically come in three sorts: organic, semi-sintered and sintered. Semi-sintered seems to be the best of all worlds.

What type of pads does the Bobber come with? Anybody know?

·
Registered
578 Posts
All triumph pads are organic as standard as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Does anybody know of any replacement brake pads that might improve the braking performance of the Bobber? I can't be bothered going through all the hassle of fitting new calipers or any other overly technical fixes.
If I recall correctly, there have been a few posts on this topic before, to include what pads some folks moved to. Perhaps search the forum for more info. I recall some pads made a great difference, while also adding a higher level of wear on the rotor.

Looking forward to what you have to report on the pads you go with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
:nerd:The main reason for the common factory use of organic brake pads is that compared to sintered pads they do the best job on cold or wet rotors and don't alter their performance significantly when the rotors get warm and dry.

Sintered pads generally work better (more stable, less fading) on hot rotors than organic pads, but to get the benefit, the rotors must be braked dry and warm in advance! This is why sintered brake pads sometimes are used on sport bikes, where the temperature of the rotors tends to be higher cause of the more agressive riding style of sport bike riders.

Double sintered racing brake pads need even higher temperature of the rotors and tend to change their performance from zero (wet and cold rotors) to maximum (very hot rotors) and this is why they often are not approved for road use!

In MotoGP they use carbon brakes, which perform awsome but exclusively at extremely high rotor temperatures. So the rotors must be capsuled against the airstream to prevent cooling between the corners!

Yes, sintered (or even double sintered) pads cause some higher wear on the rotors, but rotors are replacable! So don't worry to much about that!

When I put my focus on the really bad performing Bobber front brake, I tried several double sintered brake pads initially,. Because I tend to ride it ambitiously (as I ride my Thruxton R as well) I thought I could keep the rotor temperature sufficiently high easily! But I had always to be aware, that at the end of each straight the first pull on the lever in cold or even wet conditions was a callenge sometimes! The second pull short after the first or even the second half of a long first pull (where the rotor already had got dry and warm) showed slightly (10%) better deceleration than with the original pads.

My conclusions:

If you like cruising arround with your bobber in various (sometimes cold or wet) conditions, the original (organic) pads could be the better choice!

If you previously rode a sport bike and you're used to the behaviour of sintered pads in concern of temperature and water spray, than you might try them on your Bobber as well.

But please notice: The wooden feel on the brake lever is caused by the bad hydraulic ratio between calliper and master cylinder piston areas and will not be influenced by your choice of brake pads!

Werner Wernersen0:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well on the way into work on Friday morning, i was part of a 6 bike speed run up the outside of the usual gridlock, the 2 bikes in front of me really braked hard due to the usual white van playing chicken with bikes filtering.

Hit the front brake and....... virtually nothing....

The van driver luckily chickened out at the last second.

Popped into FWR in the way home, less than a sheet of paper's worth of pad left on one and no pad left on half of the other (I know bad me), stuck in a set of HH pads and can easily kick in the abs 2 fingered now so maybe the brakes are not as bad as i thought.

2,331 miles to totally destroy the OE Triumph Organics, 800 miles better than the Tiger Sport and a **** of a lot cheaper

·
Registered
114 Posts
In principle reasonably easy,
Sintered brake pads need heath before they do their job, and WHEN they function, as being created with a quite „hard“ material, they will „eat“ the discs much more then the standard pad mixture,...
now I’m one of these guys trying to avoid braking by looking forward, so guess I will not:
A) use the std pads very fast
B) be able to use the max power from the sintered (=high- metalcontent) Pad formulation (i’m not Max Biaggi)
C) have to go searching for a supplier for new brake discs (which are probably several times more expensive then a new set of pads)

Cu
Léon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the EBC semi sintered F & B about 30 miles ago and was not totally impressed (stock rotors, single disc up front). Maybe I was expecting too much, maybe they need more time to brake in... or maybe I'm used to the twin Brembos on my road glide. Anyone do the same upgrade with better results? Now that it makes awesome power, I need better stopping power.

thanks in advance for your feedback.

Larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those of you who haven't done these and thinking about it, please note that the pad backing plates are BRIGHT ORANGE for all to see.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I fitted sintered pads to my front brake. They are better than oem, but still nothing to write home about. I cured the issue by fitting a FreeSpirits disk/four pot caliper. Now it stops as it should without needing forearms like Popeye.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Confused now... I’m sure I read somewhere that the Brembo sintered pads made a big difference, but previously read they didn’t, or maybe that was with the brake upgrade kit? I’d like to change pads on the standard setup if it’s worthwhile.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Brembo Pad do make a big difference,, for me...

But they need time to bed properly, they are hard pads. Also as previously mentioned here, and in the other threads, the hotter they get the better they work..

I have just over 150 miles (240 km) on mine (Front and back) and they are still performing better each time I use them. And for the record I ride my bike fairly hard. My stock rear pads were worn to the point of replacement with in 6500 km (4000 miles).

Pad choice should be made depending on your riding/braking style. If you are an aggressive in traffic rider, or do high speed mountain/twisty roads, and/or are in hot dry areas, then sintered pads are your friends.

If you cruise around Sunday style, or ride in cooler damp climates, then pick organic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How long did it take for the feel to return after switching to the Brembos. I installed a set and was surprised how much longer it took to stop.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My back ones are working better than the stock ones by far now, The front ones are around the same at the moment, but like I said above, they are still improving.

I can't remember now what the instruction said, but I think it was something like " avoid hard braking situations for the first 150 miles" and then alluded to the fact that they take a long time to seat properly, especially on used rotors.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts