Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have I missed something? the cashier at one garage asked you to take your lid off. You objected to this so went to a garage where you had to take you lid off??
Yes you’ve missed something.
the cashier at the first garage wouldn’t authorise the pump without helmet removal. This was despite me inserting my card at the pump in an attempt to buy petrol without entering the shop.
I rode to the second garage, literally around the corner and filled up..
when I went in to pay still wearing my helmet, I asked the cashier what their policy was. She answered that their policy was that riders wearing full face helmets lift their visor.

As I said above, I understand and have no problem removing my helmet when going into the store. But I fail to see the need when paying at the pump.

I was also wearing a full balaclava and a neck warmer tucked into my jacket, so removing my helmet at Morrison’s would have then led to removal of all that gear, then you have to unzip your jacket and get it all tucked in again. A complete pain especially when you’re riddled with arthritis and buttons and poppers can be tricky with cold hands.

Again as I said above, other petrol stations in the area that have pay at the pump facilities just allow you to pull up fill up and drive away.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
You want to move to Lincolnshire. I have never been asked to remove my helmet. In fact it has been many years now since I was last asked to remove anything!

I'm afraid you sometimes find a workforce at many of the larger supermarkets who simply haven't been trained effectively and don't know what to do in any given circumstance. All they have to guide them is a vague memory of the rules as presented to them in a very brief induction. Maybe they are terrified of doing something wrong and loosing their jobs and know that they have a camera on them 24/7.

I understand and sympathise Enoch but I suspect the cashier could have been under pressure as well. Just something else to think about, I have a niece in retail who tells me that she is getting all sorts of abuse throughout the day now. Even our postman yesterday told us of an old guy in the village who was shouting at him to put his parcel into a carrier bag. There is tension everywhere at the moment and people suffering from the effects of a world turned upside down.

Maybe if we could all take a breath and cut people a bit of slack it might just help us to ease some of the tension.

Just a thought not a criticism.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ahhh I see. In my defence, I Didn't miss that as you had not said it previously but now makes it makes more sense. If your all trussed up with balaclava nicely tucked in I can see why that would piss you off. Especially if it was one of those hard to get comfy situations and your head ain't got an itch lol

It did just sound like you were cutting your nose off to spite your face at 1st. My bad?

·
Registered
493 Posts
You want to move to Lincolnshire. I have never been asked to remove my helmet. In fact it has been many years now since I was last asked to remove anything!

I'm afraid you sometimes find a workforce at many of the larger supermarkets who simply haven't been trained effectively and don't know what to do in any given circumstance. All they have to guide them is a vague memory of the rules as presented to them in a very brief induction. Maybe they are terrified of doing something wrong and loosing their jobs and know that they have a camera on them 24/7.

I understand and sympathise Enoch but I suspect the cashier could have been under pressure as well. Just something else to think about, I have a niece in retail who tells me that she is getting all sorts of abuse throughout the day now. Even our postman yesterday told us of an old guy in the village who was shouting at him to put his parcel into a carrier bag. There is tension everywhere at the moment and people suffering from the effects of a world turned upside down.

Maybe if we could all take a breath and cut people a bit of slack it might just help us to ease some of the tension.

Just a thought not a criticism.
Well said bunker

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Where is this place? I wanna move there
Those that know me say I’m probably the most chilled out dude they know. I’m happy to follow the rules when they make sense. On this occasion my frustration got the better of me. But luckily for me there are at least 6 other petrol stations within a very small area that employ a more sensible attitude.
I shall spend my money with one of those, and encourage my friends to do the same. It’s good to have choices.?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
How's things in Spain? Heard things getting bad there.
All flights to there cancelled. There goes my week in torramalinos:(
the hot spots here are madrid, barcelona area then the basque (north) area. while we’re in san sebastián, in basque country, most cases are in towns about 60 mi. from here. there are some confirmed cases here though. town has been in lockdown this week so no going out other than for groceries, pharmacies, work or dog walking ?. people here seem to respect the rules. no hoarding and despite few cases, lots of social distancing. we’re on a long term visa but even if we wanted to go back, getting flights now are impossible and there’s no way we’re going to jfk with a chance of being quarantined. west coast maybe (we’re in portland). for the time being we’re hanging here. seems safer and our apartment has balcony doors and beach views. but sadly, no riding as the bobber is in portland. ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
It's going a bit nuts in the UK now as rumours grow of lock down. People panic buying clearing the shelves of EVERYTHING.

Hopefully this country can pull together but I think there are too many self entitled twats live here for that to work.

Be interesting trying to lock everyone down here I can tell you. Will be fine for about 2 weeks. Then if it doesn't feel like the movie "28 days later" . everyone will simply get bored of it and start playing up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If that's a lock down then Might be better to lock this country down to.

Then rather than panicking, people will realise they can still go to work, pop in and get their groceries then come home and walk the dog. Netflix and chill.

Stay safe brother!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Those that know me say I’m probably the most chilled out dude they know. I’m happy to follow the rules when they make sense. On this occasion my frustration got the better of me. But luckily for me there are at least 6 other petrol stations within a very small area that employ a more sensible attitude.
I shall spend my money with one of those, and encourage my friends to do the same. It’s good to have choices.?
I genuinely am interested in where the place that nobody on a bike has stolen fuel before. I'm the king of cutting my nose off to spite my face. The list of places I have sworn never to go again is endless so this is only a bit of light ribbing. ?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If that's a lock down then Might be better to lock this country down to.

Then rather than panicking, people will realise they can still go to work, pop in and get their groceries then come home and walk the dog. Netflix and chill.

Stay safe brother!
thanks. that’s exactly what’s going on here. must be part of the northern spanish culture that makes it work, at least so far. government has stated all supply lines for good will stay open even if they have to use the military. so no one seems to think they have to hoard or the shelves won’t have the necessities. just went out this morning to buy some groceries and paper goods. people stood in line about 3m apart and entered when someone left. sort of weird yet still civilized. can’t imagine this going so smoothly in the states where a number of friends have already experienced empty shelves. why the stores allow this is beyond me as it would be easy to control if they wanted to. aside from scarcity of flights, one reason we’re hesitant to go back to the u.s. is we think the confirmed cases are seriously underestimated due to a very late start in testing, a lot of younger people still thinking it’s no big deal and getting tested, even now, is difficult. have a very wealthy and connected friend who has had many of the symptoms and was just turned away. i think u.s. has tested somewhere around 10k-12k. in south korea, singapore, etc., they’re testing 10k a day including drive through testing. go figure.

p.s. didn’t mean to hijack enoch’s anti- morrison thread. i’ll stop now.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I genuinely am interested in where the place that nobody on a bike has stolen fuel before. I'm the king of cutting my nose off to spite my face. The list of places I have sworn never to go again is endless so this is only a bit of light ribbing. ?
I live in rural Shropshire, my nearest town is Oswestry.

Some time ago, I spoke to the attendant at a small local Supermarket in a place called St Martins. He also told me he’d never had a drive off with a biker. So they ain’t bothered about helmets, but prefer it if the rider lifts his visor, and doesn’t sit on the bike whilst filling up..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I live in rural Shropshire, my nearest town is Oswestry.

Some time ago, I spoke to the attendant at a small local Supermarket in a place called St Martins. He also told me he’d never had a drive off with a biker. So they ain’t bothered about helmets, but prefer it if the rider lifts his visor, and doesn’t sit on the bike whilst filling up..
Very nice part of the world. There's a McDonald's I haven't been to for 8 years because they wouldn't serve me breakfast at 10.27

·
Super Moderator
763 Posts
A while ago every filling station had a "remove your helmet" sign on the door, but I seem to recall there was a MAG/BMF campaign and you never see them these days

21 - 33 of 33 Posts