Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lengthened the cable for the sensor and installed the booster plug. CEL came on. Bike seems to run fine. Ran it around the block and it didn't clear.

Went back to factory and the CEL remained on.

I did noticed that when installing it I had partially cockeyed the PCV. I had ran the bike before noticing this. Could that have caused the CEL?

The bike will also run with the factory connection not even connected.

I am pretty certain the lengthening and soldering was all good.

Thoughts?
And any one know how to clear the light?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Muenster, you’ll need something like the DealerTool to check the fault code and reset the Check Engine Light.
If you’re doing your own tinkering and servicing, it’s worth investing in one.
I’ve done a lot of reading online and as far as I can tell - you have to connect to the OBDII port to reset faults. There is no “button combination” like on some older models.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Muenster, if bikes ECU systems work like most cars, the light will clear itself after a certain number of drive cycles as determined by the manufacturer. Drive cycle determination will vary from mfr. to mfr. but will include length of ride, shifting low to high and vice versa, engine temp, certain times of riding at speed ranges and sometimes turning engine off for a period and performing the same drive type again, etc. Just saying, it may take some time of riding your normal routes to make the ECU determine to turn the light off after it’s been “tested” by their terms. If unable or unwilling to purchase the tools needed, the driving should work, but only if the fault has been righted before beginning the drive cycle. Usually an open PCV system will throw a code. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Will leaving the battery disconnected for a certain amount of time (8 + hours) also reset the values and clear the CEL? Just a thought...

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
It may or may not work, but also may add it’s own set of complications such as stalling, idle, etc. to add to your “is that really a problem” wonders?
Looks like a dealertool or trip to the dealer to plug in diagnostics is the solution then.

Have you had such problems when resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery ?
It should “re-learn” within a few rides, no?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looks like a dealertool or trip to the dealer to plug in diagnostics is the solution then.

Have you had such problems when resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery ?
It should “re-learn” within a few rides, no?
My only experience is with cars and my BMW bike. Cars won’t experience that by disconnecting the battery, but cars are more sophisticated and usually have 10-15yrs on motorcycles. Yes, a few rides, but what the rider performs during that ride that actually adds to the “relearn” process is something pretermined by the mfr. The process required by cars is quite tedious and not easily found or published, but needed after some types of service work. My Beemer will react this way after the battery out for relacement. Don’t know about Triumph, so it may take more than a few rides depending upon your ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The BMW´s are a total PITA when it comes to diagnostics.
I just got a Hexcode GS911wifi 2 days ago cause of some Canbus errors.
The Triumph DealerTool is a total bargain (and simpler to use) in comparison!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That sucks muensterDeath. You go throught the trouble in an attempt to improve things. Finish everything up and then it goes wrong. :-(

·
Registered
119 Posts
The BMW´s are a total PITA when it comes to diagnostics.
I just got a Hexcode GS911wifi 2 days ago cause of some Canbus errors.
The Triumph DealerTool is a total bargain (and simpler to use) in comparison!
Strange, I have a GS911 and have used it MANY times on my '09 GSA with no issues, although mine is not a WIFI version.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I double checked all the connections, and the PCV yesterday. Rode for about 20 min, then double checked the PCV was staying in place. All good, so commenced riding for a couple hours.

The throttle does seem smoother indeed at lower speeds, and some of the barble on deceleration is gone, mind you not all of it, which is fine.

The CEL stayed on, but the bike was running stronge and no issues. Longest ride in a while due to the weather. I was going to try to stay out past dark to try out the new Motodemic headlight, but alas, I was feeling the cold to much once the sun started going down and couldn't hang.

I have just ordered the DealerTool for future "farkling" as Pasta would say...

Gasser exhaust is supposed to ship tomorrow from Cali, so looking forward to installing that this coming weekend...

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spend that money muensterDeath!!
Ha! I have had the bike for over a year and only did the bobbins, the eyelid and xpipe. For a guy that likes to "farkle", I didn't really get to do much! Hard to get the CFO to allow money for that...

But yes, did some saving, little extra something from my employer and bought the headlight and exhaust.....prob all I'll be able to do for a good while....

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

Recieved and installed the dealer tool....nice bit of kit.

1st image - scanned and came up with an Air Intake Open Circuit or Short Circuit.

Cleared the coad. Software said "ok".

Reran the scan, second image, same code but showing the tail end.

Fired it up, CEL still there.

So, from this information I will deduce that the extention of the sensor for the booster plug has some bad soldering or something in there.

All agree?

Will have to take it off and redo.....such is life....

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
The first thing I'd do is unplug the Booster Plug and plug the original connectors back together. Clear rhe error code and ride the bike. Then check to see if the code comes back.

If it doesn't come back, then yes, you may have a short in the wire extension work you did. Did you use the Booster Plug at the original sensor lead length (before you extended it)? There is always the posibility you got a bad unit but at least it has a lifetime warrenty.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first thing I'd do is unplug the Booster Plug and plug the original connectors back together. Clear rhe error code and ride the bike. Then check to see if the code comes back.

If it doesn't come back, then yes, you may have a short in the wire extension work you did. Did you use the Booster Plug at the original sensor lead length (before you extended it)? There is always the posibility you got a bad unit but at least it has a lifetime warrenty.
I intend to do just what you mentioned prior to pulling the cable out to see if the issue is truly the cable/plug.

No, I did not try it prior to extending. :frown2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
No need for u to lengthen d cable for d wire sensor tip to be install near d front near the head light position. Jan d fabricator should correct this issue. I am in d process of ordering 2 booster plugs for a 2018 Bobber Black & a 2011 Sportster 48, now I will hold my order until I get more information from Jan d fabricator. He seems like cool fellow & really believes in his product. Cheers NG

1 - 20 of 35 Posts