1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It's a Great Motorcycle"

BEFORE RIDING A BOBBER:

AFTER RIDING ONE:

You've got to admit, Triumph's original promotional video for the Bobber truly was the gayest sales pitch in the history of motorcycles.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Triumph were trying to snare the hipster market with that video. Probably why you see so few of them on the road - they're probably all parked up outside coffee shops or beard oil emporiums.
Hipster. Beard oil. That's hilarious! A dude with a big lumberjack beard who's also wearing skinny jeans. WTF could possibly be more hilarious and ridiculous than that?! It's like a ballerina smoking a cigar while toting an UZI. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
19 Posts
I mean, he's a little right. The advert was really stupid. Specifically designed to draw in the young hipster crowd. But those are the folks that they need to get riding to ensure sales.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I mean, he's a little right. The advert was really stupid. Specifically designed to draw in the young hipster crowd. But those are the folks that they need to get riding to ensure sales.
Yes, that's right. I'm not really anti-hipster and I'm glad there are new waves of younger motorcyclists that keep the flag flying. I know a lot of them will be buying into the "look" but I hope they appreciate what their motorcycles are capable of and actually enjoy the ride as well the pose. In that sense, the Bobber is perfect for these times - it has the looks. It also has the handling and power that you can keep on enjoying once the initial honeymoon period is over.

(In saying that though, I still think "gorgeous bike that" whenever I open the garage door.)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
In what universe do adverts ever reflect reality???

If that was the case Ronald McDonald would be supper-sized, the Marlboro Man would cough his guts up in every advert, and Budweiser would be sold as flavoured water! >:)
Right you are! I'm used to German Bier. Budweiser is definitely flavored water. :wink2:

I used to watch some of those Youtube guys until I found out that they actually got paid per view. :|

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Shadetree was full of beans on his main point that Triumph using the name "Bobber" was tantamount to telling people that "this is what the bike is supposed to look like." I mean, how many bikes have there been where the original manufacturer offered as many optional or add-on goodies as Triumph offered for the Bobber within a year or so of its original release? Contrary to his point, to me the Bobber was a wonderfully blank slate from which to customize to your own taste via factory goodies or any number of other aftermarket vendors. Plus A&J Cycles really took the lead on making most of the good stuff available for one-stop-shopping.

On the other hand, I completely agree with Shadetree that the name "Bobber" was more than a little silly. I could not wait to get those side panels off and do away with that dumb name. Even when I was 10 or 12 years old I was coherent enough to ask my dad why many Chevy pickups still on the dealer lot had a "CUSTOM" badge on the front fender. Same deal -- if it came from the factory that way then obviously it's not CUSTOM and it's not a BOBBER (at least not yet).

Another important point to keep in mind is that regardless of how clueless Triumph's marketing department may have seemed in aiming their Bobber marketing at gays and/or hipsters (let's just sum them up as less-than-masculine males)... somehow IT WORKED! It was the best selling model in Triumph's then 115 year history. Personally I think the engineering/design department crushed it so well that the product simply overcame the misguided marketing and stupid name. But it's pretty hard to prove that without paying for research. On the other hand, the Devils Advocate could turn the table on me and say the name "Bobber" was absolutely brilliant because the bike is so incredibly easy and inviting to bob.

In any case, aren't motorcycles and their surrounding culture, characters and marketing methods wonderfully interesting? Especially the culture and incredible fun involved. For example, the classic documentary "On Any Sunday" instantly captivated me as a little kid. Thirty seconds after that movie ended I was already gathering up change to start saving for a motorcycle and I could hardly sleep thinking about the day I would finally get one. And I doubt I was the only fish that got hooked by that wonderful lure.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's Triumph's biggest seller because there is nothing from any manufacturer IMO that compares favorably to it.

Sure Harley has the ancient Sportster and the Indian Scout is alright but neither has the Bobber's combination of aesthetics, handling and performance.

Shadetree is probably not exactly what Triumph had in mind when they made the bobber. He makes you smile, sometimes serious but mostly entertaining and fun, much like our bobber.

[/url]

·
Registered
514 Posts
I gotta say, the dudes in that ad seem to me to be neither gay nor hipsters. Just run of the mill hetero gentrifiers - what used to be called yuppies.
And I gotta say, I find the bearded Triumph hating, homophobia guy to be far less funny than he seems to find himself.
Oh well, that’s definitely my last thought on the matter..

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gotta say, the dudes in that ad seem to me to be neither gay nor hipsters. Just run of the mill hetero gentrifiers - what used to be called yuppies.
And I gotta say, I find the bearded Triumph hating, homophobia guy to be far less funny than he seems to find himself.
Oh well, that’s definitely my last thought on the matter..
Your opinions are fine but let's try to be factual and intellectually honest. Regarding "Triumph hating," Shadetree Surgeon and his lady ("Triumph Chick" on YouTube) have been devoted Triumph fans for years. He rides a Rocket III and she rides a Street Triple. He also features a diverse group of riders in his videos and is definitely not homophobic. He's just a bit of an @sshole at times and laughs a little too hard at his own jokes sometimes. Kinda like me and most of my friends. :laugh:

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
708 Posts
Shadetree was full of beans on his main point that Triumph using the name "Bobber" was tantamount to telling people that "this is what the bike is supposed to look like." I mean, how many bikes have there been where the original manufacturer offered as many optional or add-on goodies as Triumph offered for the Bobber within a year or so of its original release?

-GPz/Gary
What???

Harley offer more bolt-on parts for their bikes than any other manufacturer and that includes Triumph, they also have a bike called the Street Bob, where's the hate for that as it's not a REAL bobber?

Or the Street Rod, which isn't a REAL hot rod?

Or the 1200 Custom, which isn't a REAL custom?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Your opinions are fine but let's try to be factual and intellectually honest. Regarding "Triumph hating," Shadetree Surgeon and his lady ("Triumph Chick" on YouTube) have been devoted Triumph fans for years. He rides a Rocket III and she rides a Street Triple. He also features a diverse group of riders in his videos and is definitely not homophobic. He's just a bit of an @sshole at times and laughs a little too hard at his own jokes sometimes. Kinda like me and most of my friends. :laugh:

-GPz/Gary

Correction: "bobber hating" (as per the title of the video). The homophobia stands as far as I'm concerned: "the whole apartment smells of anal-ese and yankee candles." Though we can substitute "gay bashing" if homophobia seems not quite precise enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts