Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys, new to this forum but a long time lurker.
The thing is that after a few nights without sleep I went to my dealer with the firm decision to buy a beautiful black Bobber on the show floor, I really, really want that bike but felt cramped with my 6'2", :crying:
As soon as I took my CC out of my wallet, a Boneville Speedmaster on the corner caught my attention, sat on it and what a difference in comfort, perfect riding position, loved the swept back handlebars and forward controls, took a few pics of me on the bike and the size was right as opposed to the Bobber. I can always take the rear pad off and give it a bobber look but still not the Bobber I always dream of, nonetheless a beautiful bike aswell.
Whats your take on the Speedmaster? please talk me out of it! :eek:
Due to the horrible traffic, I ride a BMW F700GS to work every day, ugly bike but a great commuter, I want something more stylish to ride in between days, not a garage queen, not sure if a Bobber would be the right choice, The Speedmaster looks bigger (I dont know if it is) and definetely more comfortable. Saddly no test rides avaliable for either bikes.
'

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm biased... because I went with the Speedmaster, but the Black and the SM are very close. SM handles really well, and when I went to the dealer to look at the Thunderbird, they offered me a ride on the SM. Sold it to me immediately. You do need a test ride though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You need to ride these bikes to make a decision.
For me, it's a no brainer BUT that is me not you.
I love the bobber and couldn't live with those bars on the Speedmaster but that's just me.
You seriously need an hours ride on each IMHO.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I like the SM a great deal, I’ve not ridden one but I can’t imagine there’s a great deal of difference in the handling between it and the BB but would expect the SM to be more comfortable.

I’m 6.4” and 240 Ibs and get along with the Bobber well. But it’s about how you feel personally on the bikes. Surely if looking to lay down money on either bike the dealer will let you test ride them?

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you like the riding position of the SM, have you thought about fitting the SM forward control kit onto the Bobber?? It’s a factory option, and a few guys on here run FC.

Due to a pair of legs that don’t work properly, this is what I’m doing...

Hers a pic of my Bobber, and most of the FC kit, some bits are missing

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I’d be keen to test ride a Bobber with FC’s fitted... but given the cost I certainly wouldn’t take the chance just in case it didn’t work for me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think it also depends on how you plan to use the bike. While a number of guys here have done really successful long trips on the Bobber, IMO it probably isn’t what it was designed for, at least not without some mods. Luggage carrier, more comfortable seat, relaxing the OEM rear shock, maybe FC controls, etc, etc. Just about whatever you could do, it’s probably been done by one or more forum members. Except, no passenger option if that’s your thing.

On the other hand, the SM, as you’ve already experienced, pretty much addresses some if not all, these issues. It seems like some who have BBs, think the bikes are similar many ways (I have an original Bobber, not a BB so I can’t chime in on that). Have to admit, if I didn’t have my Indian Scout for longer multi-day trips, I’d probably buy an SM since for me, the Bobber is used for day trips and around town.

Regardless of what you decide, not sure you can go wrong. They’re both great motorcycles. But, my concern is the dealer not letting you test ride. That’s a big no-no in my book and might be a red flag about their customer service. If you haven’t already done so, I’d check them out more thoroughly with others who’ve bought, serviced or if possible, those who chose another dealer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’d be keen to test ride a Bobber with FC’s fitted... but given the cost I certainly wouldn’t take the chance just in case it didn’t work for me.
Unfortunatly, I couldn’t find a UK dealer with a forward control Bobber, available for Demo:crying:... most didn’t even know it was a Triumph approved option:surprise:. I suspect they don’t know that Mid controls are also available for the Speedmaster.... makes sense as the front of the frame is the same for both bikes..

So next best thing was to try a SM, and hope that the Bobber will suit when I fit the kit:smile2: which isn’t that expensive in my view0:).

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll remove the forward controls, sell the Bobber and go for a Speedmaster with this sort of spec..0:):nerd:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A fair point... testing a SM would provide a pretty good idea/understanding as to whether the FC set up would be to anyone’s liking.

Just promise me one thing... you’ll powder coat the shinny parts black to match the rest of the bike ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
A fair point... testing a SM would provide a pretty good idea/understanding as to whether the FC set up would be to anyone’s liking.

Just promise me one thing... you’ll powder coat the shinny parts black to match the rest of the bike ;)
It’s quite disappointing that Triumph don’t supply the forward control kit in black:frown2: I’ll make do for now, but if I get on with the bike, I’ll Black the kit out0:)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That's an interesting questions.

As for my tuppence worth? Well I think they are both stunning bikes and I suspect as my Bobber Black is starting to look a little more like a Speedmaster, I'm clearly on the fence.

I went with the BB for aesthetic reasons. I really like the vintage look which included the hardtail rear end style. This is completed by the close-fitting rear mudguard. This style fits in with my longterm plan for my bike.

As much as I liked the Speedmaster (and still do) I just couldn't overcome that rear mudguard set up, set high above the rear wheel. It just wasn't a fit for me.

Some good advice above but that's my own personal take on the logic behind my choice.

If aesthetics (over ride) happen to be important to you. Try putting them side by side and go with your heart:grin2:

Good luck,

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great replies guys, unfortunately no test ride for me since my local dealer sells just a few modern classics per year, I can test drive all the Tiger lineup though, huge success here.
Now from your answers, can I assume that the Bobber Black is physically very similar to the Speedmaster?? I thought they shared just the bigger fork and tire. Do they share the same front and rear frame?
I think the Bobber is the most beautiful bike in the Triumph catalog, period! but I definetely find it small for my 6´2", it lacks the road presence and comforts of the bigger Speedmaster, Now I am confused, Should I order a BB instead?
Sorry guys for the noob questions, any feedback will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Look further afield... The BB and SM are the same bike, except for the rear shock and seat mounting including rear mudguard (the SM has a sub-frame for the seating).

I'm 6' 3“ and over 18 stone wearing my bike gear.. I need feet forward due to knee surgery last year...

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I’ve had my Speedmaster for a few weeks or so now!
I really liked the Bobber when it first came out though I needed the pillion option for occassional use.
BB nearly made me unpopular with the wife as I really liked the front end addition over the Bobber and has been mentioned the classic look.
Tried the SM and fell in love with the Feet fwd and beach bars.
Rides and handles great and it is now basically a bobber with rear seat and rails removed, though easy enough to put a seat back on easily.
Decat and US V&H add to the statement these bikes make and also disclose that they sent just a laid back cruiser when you open it up.
For Me it’s was the BB all day long if it was just me
however now I have the SM with its differences I wouldn’t change.
BB & SM are basically the same!
The SM has an additional rear sub frame and some catalogue differences.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hi Galion,

I also think it's worth remembering that you can change either of these bikes to suite your needs/wishes. My Bobber Black has 'evolved' (pics below) and now includes a Speedmaster tank. I'm 6 foot and to me it doesn't feel too small, in fact just right. I know there are some big chaps here that do just fine.

I guess what you really need to ask is do you really need that back seat?

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I’ve had my Speedmaster for a few weeks or so now!
I really liked the Bobber when it first came out though I needed the pillion option for occassional use.
BB nearly made me unpopular with the wife as I really liked the front end addition over the Bobber and has been mentioned the classic look.
Tried the SM and fell in love with the Feet fwd and beach bars.
Rides and handles great and it is now basically a bobber with rear seat and rails removed, though easy enough to put a seat back on easily.
Decat and US V&H add to the statement these bikes make and also disclose that they sent just a laid back cruiser when you open it up.
For Me it’s was the BB all day long if it was just me
however now I have the SM with its differences I wouldn’t change.
BB & SM are basically the same!
The SM has an additional rear sub frame and some catalogue differences.

Oh boy! I forgot the wife :laugh: Good argument there.
Great looking SM, much better w/o the rear seat.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
You can start with one and mod it until it's the other :wink2:

My advice FWIW would be to go with the Speedy. It seems closer to what you want, and has twin brakes up front and a larger tank. You can then bobbify it to your heart's content...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh yes Roy

looks very nice.
Love the tail rack and foot boards.
In regards to size im 6' when you see SM & BBB's next to other bike they do look smaller though surley this is the beauty of them. All the feel presence you want and power to 'burn out' should you be so inclined.
Ive reluctantly sold my Tiger xcx big bike in all respects. The SM though is just so much more usable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roy, you just made my decision harder with those pics, a BB taken to the next level, well done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts