Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Bobber vs. Bobber Black

26K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  whiskeytangofoxtrot 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so as the title says, I’m looking into buying one of these bad boys! I’m looking for confirmation on if the bobber black is worth the price premium over the standard bobber....are the dual front discs, smaller front wheel, and thicker forks really worth the 1,200 dollars triumph is asking for. I’m not particularly leaning one way or the other, so I would appreciate you guys making the case for both! Also, is there any word on changes to the 2019’s colors, standard equipment, etc....Thanks in advance for all the help!

#2 ·
If you like the Bobber Black then it is worth the extra, as to fit cruise control, black engine cases, an LED headlight, and improve the braking of the standard Bobber would cost you far more than $1,200! But if you prefer the look of the original then go for that as it’s still an awesome bike, in terms of handling and braking (it’s not like you’re comparing a Fat Boy to a Penigale) the Bobber Black is only slightly better. So the best advice I can give is take them both out for a test ride and go with your heart, whichever one you choose you can’t go wrong! >:)

For 2019 British Racing Green and Silver is out and Khaki Green from the Scrambler is in.

#3 ·
>are the dual front discs, smaller front wheel
Yep but total wheel also very massive, so much of braking performance gets lost.
I have owned new bobber black for 7 weeks and have ridden 5974km during this time, i can tell you brakes could be better.

Beside it front dampers too soft on aggressive braking, easily can reach compression limiter.
Too bad Triumph saved money on suspension, it should be adjustable front and rear.
Probably next new models will fix it and then it's time to get new.

Otherwise drivability is good ...

#4 ·
Back to black.....

Whatever you choose, not too bad a choice, but...
1.200 € ,... if you are able to stand still, just a bit faster,.... probably cheaper then the hospital,"?....That ofcourse, is a very bad reason to pick double brake discs as there are so much bikes which stand still (so preventing the hospital) even faster then the B.B.
Tough decision to make 4u, (btw in case you will invest the 1200 extra, do not take the Matt black one, a horrid colour with which you really don’t want to be seen, anyway there are already too many people who choose wrong, quite sure there going to regret that decision if they get sober)
Cu
Léon

#13 ·
Whatever you choose, not too bad a choice, but...
1.200 € ,... if you are able to stand still, just a bit faster,.... probably cheaper then the hospital,"?....That ofcourse, is a very bad reason to pick double brake discs as there are so much bikes which stand still (so preventing the hospital) even faster then the B.B.
Tough decision to make 4u, (btw in case you will invest the 1200 extra, do not take the Matt black one, a horrid colour with which you really don’t want to be seen, anyway there are already too many people who choose wrong, quite sure there going to regret that decision if they get sober)
Cu
Léon
Hey Leon... be sure to come along on our next ride out... I haven’t squished someone for some time on account of their daft and thoughltless comments!

P.S... don’t go breeding now will ya >:)

#5 ·
Awwwwee maannnnnnnnn, someone sparking a forum battle..... :)

Joking, both are great bikes. BB has some "upgrades" if those are important to you over the OG Bobber.

Is the handling better on the BB than the OG Bobber, probably nominal and dependent on riding style.

Can you upgrade your breaks, yes, but to the tune of 1200, probably would be more.

Search the forum on the topic.

When you stand back and look at both, which one is more pleasing to the eye to you? Ultimately, I don't think the performance of either is that vastly different and it really comes down to which looks better to you. And feels better to ride....obviously key...

#8 ·
I can totally sign the previous comments. Don't think about specs too much, both are too similar. Forget about rationale and choose what you LIKE better.

For me, the "all black" look and the massive front wheel (looks again) were decisive, though I knew that massive front wheel might bring issues with handling. Don't expect wonders with the BB's dual discs - those brakes are decent, but not comparable to "one finger brakes" like that on a Speed Triple.

Jet black or matte black is the other decision you'll have to make if you lean towards the BB. Again, a matter of personal taste. Matte black might require more care than glossy, but to me it seems that the painted parts are not so bad. The black coated exhaust seems to be more sensitive.

Did you have a chance to look at both models in real life?
I have to say that I was leaning towards a Speedmaster first and never cared about the Bobber too much, even though I had read online reviews and watched videos. Seeing the Speedmaster, Bobber and Bobber Black in real life made it easy since I suddenly had strong emotions towards the BB.

Tom

#9 ·
hmmm I prefer the clean look of the "standard" bobber, the massive front wheel of the BB is too american for me. That's the reason I am not going for the side-mounted number plate, again too american for me.

From what I have heard, the double front disc brake of the BB is better than the single front disc brake on the bobber but it is also not really good. So if my decision between the two would depend on braking power I'd go for the bobber throw in some 500 Euros to upgrade the brake ( see https://www.classicbike-raisch.de/t...angen/1172/raisch-4-kolben-bremszange-lc?c=93 for details) and be happy.

But it is surely a personal thing which bike you prefer

#19 ·
I haven't felt my back wheel slide out but I have felt my front wheel push out one or two times.

Yesterday morning I got in a short ride before the temperature got up to 97º. I found that I was quite content doing the speed limit (45 to 55 mph) on some local secondary roads. The Bobber is a charmer no matter which one you get.

#22 ·
Bad choices...

Dear Mike,

guess something was misunderstood, definately did not mean to be rude about others people’s choices, guess you especially mean my (part of) message on black Bobber in Matt black (which is by not complete coincidence one of the bikes I am running myself). Being Dutch I prefer everybody picks his own bike, Color, Model, etc, I personally couldn’t care less ( though if of course everybody drives a B.B. in Matt, ... :surprise:.
If I did hurt someone feelings I’d definately make my serious apologies on this, please see it as a combination of my strange kind of Humor not being completely understood by everyone in combination with the fact being a foreigner my English doesn’t have the perfection someone with a mother’s tongue has which might create some uncertainties.

Cu
Léon

#23 ·
Hi Gents,

It is interesting hearing different perspectives on what riders look for or appreciate in regards these two wonderful bikes. One of the strong motivation for my choice of a Bobber Black was indeed the black engine. In the past I just found these bikes with black engine stayed (or looked) cleaner.

Although when discussing the two options in the black; gloss or matt, my personal preference was for the gloss but it's not what I got, as a hybrid was what I drove away. I.e. gloss tank with mag fenders/panels. Although correct parts have been ordered to be fitted on my first service.

I think in reality I would be totally thrilled with any Bobber regardless of type/colour. But I think it's nice we have a little choice. I wonder what model will be offered next!

Cheerio,

Roy

#25 ·
Although when discussing the two options in the black; gloss or matt, my personal preference was for the gloss
I know it might get roasted for that, but... frankly speaking...

The bike I got for a test ride was matte, it was a bit dusty and the side walls of the rear tyre were brownish, maybe used brake cleaner on it or so? It had a slight rat-like touch to it, and that's how I fell in love with matte.
I still keep mine clean, though. :)

And I was seriously doubting my choice when I saw pictures of shiny glossy black ones on the Internet, and how much more noble they looked.
Then when I was at the dealer for the first service and saw a glossy black one standing there in real life, I was like "nah, you did good."

But: It's a close call anyway since both of them are black :)

Tom

#24 ·
Although not a Bobber, one of the visual cues that made me love the look of the Speedmaster/BB was the fact that it reminded me of a bike a close mate of mine had in the early 70's... which I coveted...

Picture from Mike Hope (Sunbeam Owners Fellowship) - Sunbeam Owners Fellowship

Attachments

Reactions: gfspencer and Roy
#28 ·
Roy,
SUCH a good choice, congrats :crying:
cu
Leon

Reactions: Roy
#34 ·
I personally prefer the Bobber over the Bobber black. The Bobber black looks a little too made up for my taste. When it comes to having character, the Bobber beats the Black hands down.

While i do understand that the Bobber lacks braking, that's a performance let down that scores the black a point. But, other than that, the cruise control really doesn't matter to me when i can hack that with 10 dollars.

The amount of increase in $$ for the black for the functionality it offers, is not good ROI imo.

Again, there may be dudes with deeper pockets, who would want a perfect motorcycle. but, doesn't that (perfect) beat the whole purpose of motorcycling?

Imperfections makes a motorcycle more interesting.

again, just my $0.05.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.