Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was hoping that maybe Triumph might improve the ground clearance but it looks like the same set up as before. The suspension, bars and pipes look good though.

Those Union Jack tank pads (or paint job - I'm not sure which) are a touch on the tacky side however.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sweet... about what I was expecting based on the Thruxton and Rocket. I'd love those forks. Oh, and I'd love that little triumph badge with the gold edging on the engine cover Might be time to get some pinstripe work ;) Kinda like the inspection window approach to the agc badge. Does anyone else ever wish for black spark plug covers?

·
Registered
677 Posts
That 19” front wheel was a surprise. I do like the suspension and brake components as well as the sport mode. However I’ll stick with my bike unless I see a deal on a TFC (then I’d transfer over all my goodies).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Jeez!!!! £15,500!!! That's nearly basic Bobber +50%!!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was hoping that maybe Triumph might improve the ground clearance but it looks like the same set up as before. The suspension, bars and pipes look good though.

Those Union Jack tank pads (or paint job - I'm not sure which) are a touch on the tacky side however.
Having just seen some close up pics, the attention to detail is pretty astounding - I'm actually starting to like that bare metal flag.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised by how much I like it, as Guffer says the attention to detail is outstanding and there are lots of bits (if they were available) that I would be more than happy to add to my Bobber. :surprise:

But upside down forks, mono-block brakes, an LED headlight, and carbon fibre everywhere, IMHO detracts from the old school vibe of the original Bobber, which to my eye they nailed with a look that echoed a supped up Speed Twin from the 1940, but I guess that's the oxymoron that is the 'Modern Classic'. >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think it's a sharp looking bike but if I'm honest my disappointment is that they are pandering to the performance crowd. Many on here I'm sure and no disrespect intended but if I want a 'racing' bike I would buy the Thruxton.

The TFC Rocket and Thruxton are both performance bikes, I was hoping for a little more 'style' leaning with this build.

Still I'm sure I'm in the minority and the will all sell out. Who here will be the first to buy one?

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
90 Posts
If its only $5k more, thats not a bad deal considering the brakes, suspension and pipes would cost that, if not more.

Im not sure on the tank unions or non black pipes, or skinny front tire. I also think the triple tree is out of character, but you can imagine that it was much less expensive to do that than produce a new part. Maybe they could have colored it black. Im not a carbon fiber fan either, especially on a bike like this whos whole point is to reiterate designs of days past. Its a bad mix, but some of the younger crowd may like it.

Either way its awesome to see the bobber so well supported, and it is really cool. Good job triumph.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was sort of thinking along the same lines as Roy. Aesthetically it doesn’t seem all that different to me, especially since it’s so easy to put on the statement seat and a few other things like that on your own. They seem to have concentrated more on performance, which on the one hand I can respect, but on the other hand I think most Bobber owners are happy enough with the performance as it is. But then again I may be wrong.

Overall, it does look a little too “fancy” to me I guess..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Better?

Too big and loud... This bike is about subtle vintage lines , throwing carbon fiber and race bikes steering system on it is out of character for the bike. Gotta say I love the idea of upgraded internals though, ever since the Speed Twin came out I imagined what a TriRocket3 build would look like with the Speed head and flywheel, I guess this is it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I read what everyone else had to say in this thread before I watched the video, so I was prepared to be underwhelmed and unimpressed. MAN, was I surprised at how much I absolutely LOVE the look of this bike! I'd never want to ride a Bobber with clip-ons, because the crouched seating position doesn't suit me (and my belly), but I would buy one of these in a heartbeat and park it in my dining room so I could just stare at it for hours on end. Absolutely beautiful little touches all over the bike. After seeing all of the changes they've made versus the standard Bobber, I definitely think the $15k price point isn't out of line. I'd also love to experience the difference between our high torque 1200 and the Bobber TFC's high performance motor. As others have pointed out already, it would make more sense to just buy a Thruxton R to really be able to appreciate the improved power and braking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think it's a sharp looking bike but if I'm honest my disappointment is that they are pandering to the performance crowd. Many on here I'm sure and no disrespect intended but if I want a 'racing' bike I would buy the Thruxton.

Still I'm sure I'm in the minority and the will all sell out. Who here will be the first to buy one?

Cheerio,

Roy
I agree Roy, which is why I bought this 😂😆

I have clean T100 and 848 for sale......

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's interesting to see (like the Thruxton) the clip-ons come with risers. From the look I'm willing to bet they'll be a similar height to stock, a bit narrower but fortunately not too low and that should avoid the clam shell effect you get on some recent Harleys.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
After seeing all of the changes they've made versus the standard Bobber, I definitely think the $15k price point isn't out of line.
I thought the review stated “£5,000 over the Bobber Black’s £11,650 price” or about $21,400USD? That’s a lot of money for some negligible gains.

86HP and 110Nm vs BB’s 76HP and 106Nm. You can get pretty close to that with just a x-pipe, exhaust, and tune.

The 11kg weight savings can be achieved just by ditching stock indicators, removing cat, aftermarket exhaust, and Li battery (or losing the beer gut in my case). Heck even Roy’s titanium bolt fetish helps. The TFC stops a little quicker, turns in a little sooner, and revs faster but I don’t feel like I’m missing out (not like owning a base Porsch 911 Carrera vs a GT3). Of course, I’ll be on the lookout for that low inertial crankshaft and other internal parts. I don’t imagine the TFC parts restrictions extends to engine parts (mostly cosmetic).

The styling is nice and I do love Ohlïns parts but I’d be hard pressed to justify trading my Bobber for the TFC. As said, you’re better off just adding a sports model to the stable.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Personally I prefer a lot of the builds here on the forum to the TFC. This build seems more performance oriented, and less custom. The Bobber has about as much performance as I can take as it starts to rip my arms out of their sockets and my backside slides off the statement seat anyway :grin2:

There's a strong family resemblance to the other TFCs, which I guess is good. The Thruxton is spot-on IMHO, but the Bobber is a missed opportunity. Instead of all the carbon fiber, I'd have liked to see them do something with brass.

That said, all the engine lightening work looks great and I'm sure will give a BobberII a nice lift. Can't beat power up, weight down.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts