Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right. I realise I might get flamed for this :wink2:
Okaay, ...so, I really like MOST of the design/styling of the bobber and I'm seriously considering getting one.
But ...there's one thing that bugs me slightly.
It's the gaping hole behind and below the seat unit. It looks fine when the bike is stood alone but I think it looks a bit odd when there's a rider onboard (sorry).
I've been thinking of ways to 'fill' the hole and wondered whether a Hepco and Becker rack might be the answer?
Has anyone else had the same thoughts and come up with a different solution?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Personally i really like the look of the floating seat.
I think the Corbin seat makes it look a little less ¨floaty¨than the OEM, but maybe its just because of the big (yet very handsome) 95KG lump sat ON the seat >:)
Unique and opinion dividing :nerd:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Okaay, ...so, I really like MOST of the design/styling of the bobber and I'm seriously considering getting one.
It's the gaping hole behind and below the seat unit. It looks fine when the bike is stood alone but I think it looks a bit odd when there's a rider onboard (sorry).
I've been thinking of ways to 'fill' the hole and wondered whether a Hepco and Becker rack might be the answer?
If you don't like the floating seat why not go for the Speedmaster?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Excellent point.
Someone posted a picture of a maverick Speedmaster ¨black¨ on the forum a few days ago. Looks fantastic IMHO and the only thing i don´t like is the california style bar, as i tried one and just can´t get along with that position. But that can easliy be swapped out, i imagine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Personally I think the floating seat is what makes Bobber so unique and was one of the main features that attracthped me to the bike in the first place. As pointed out previously, if that aspect of the styling is not to a buyers taste the. They are probably looking at the wrong bike. Speedmaster would be an obvious choice from the Triumpgph range.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree that it looks weird, and for a long time after first seeing the bike i couldn't get past it. Just used to seeing springs on solo seats like this. But after awhile I got used to it. Still not my favorite thing about the bike though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also considering the speedmaster. But I think it's rear end styling goes the other way and looks a little too 'heavy' and 'cruiser like' (even in Maverick trim). I'm also not a huge fan of the forward controls, (although I realise that these could be swapped out). In Addition I would want a blacked out Speedmaster and the cost in extras to do this brings the bike up to a whopping £15K
I maybe should look at ways of 'lightening' the rear mudguard of the speedmaster rather than fill in the floating seat of the bobber. Decisions, decisions!:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have always thought the same. The bike looks gorgeous stood still but thought as soon as i or someone else sits upon it it doesn't quite look right. But seeing as most of the time I can't see myself or others on one not overly fussed. I honestly think the Hepco rack isn't the answer though, looks ok, but just ok IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I might be in the minority here, but the floating seat is of the main reasons I bought a Bobber when it was released. Then again, I am not from the generation that likes or even appreciates “sprung” seats (no insult intended, just not my cup of tea...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a difficult time deciding between the Bobber and the Speedmaster. The Speedmaster is more practical, larger tank and forward controls. I kept coming back to what is more appealing to me and I dislike the fat front wheel of the Speedmaster and the Bobber floating seat looks so unusual and nicer for me so I purchased a standard bobber. With the addition of a Speedmaster tank and forward floorboards now I have the perfect bike for me. That seat looks great to me!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
For my personal taste...

I have always enjoyed the style of vintage pre-war bikes. I think the 1930's was an incredible decade for style, be it bikes, cars and just about all sorts of things.

For that reason the hard-tail look of a rear fender hugging a wheel and a sprung seat has always appealed to me, this was probably one of my main reasons for going with the Bobber.

The stock Speedmasters and Bobbers are really wonderful aesthetic bike designs and if I had to have one bike and never change it, I would be thrilled with any of these models. But such is my nature I just can't stop tinkering, so now I have a 'Speed-Bobber Black/Getting Blacker and LOVE it.

A sprung seat is defiantly in my future though for the reasons mentioned earlier.

On a related note though, I do love how we all have different takes and are creating our own personal version of these wonderful bikes.

Happy riding and building,

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The minute I saw the original Bobber I knew I had to have one.
I needed a second bike like an Eskimo needs ice but, the design (and the floating seat was a big part of it) just spoke to me almost like no other. Even my wife agreed with that assessment which, of course, made it a done deal. I think Triumph nailed it. Yeah the rear end needed some cleaning up, which I’ve done, changed the seat, etc. but all in all, have never looked back.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I love everything about the styling....I never thought about the gap between the seat and the frame as being odd . I did this for sh1ts and giggles I guess It would solve part of your problem .
look at those pipes........... Wow, is it 2 into 1 or just a really nice turn out slash cut duo?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts