Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay Chaps,

I have been enjoying the discussions regarding comparing the OB vs BB and also the OB, BB & SM with some interesting topics in both threads.

So this got me thinking. If You were in charge of designing the original Bobber concept OR for that mater on the design team for a new version of the Bobber (are you reading this Triumph?) - what would you change?

Now I don't mean small changes like fuel capacity etc. and all those little grips but what major design change might you want to introduce or wish to see on the next iteration of the Bobber?

To get the ball rolling, I would love to see a springer type front end. I've always loved the look of those pre-war/1930's bikes like Vincents or Broughs, so for a really dramatic classic vintage looks I would love a springer type front end.

Any further thoughts are welcome?

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
792 Posts
I know you re looking for major changes but I would just go with the old style tank badges and maybe better bars! But yes I would love a springer!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I'm betting that pic makes a bobber purists head explode...lol Makes it look heavier than the Bobber Black's front forks.

·
Super Moderator
1,122 Posts
I was drawn to the sparseness of the Bobber design, and its pre-unit look. I like how they make it look like it has a separate gearbox. So, if I was in charge of development, I'd try to make it look as much like individual components brought together as possible. The antithesis of the modern bike, in which everything is designed to produce a harmonious whole. I really like the headlight that looks like a lamp in a bucket, rather than a sleekly designed lighting unit in a fairing and all aerodynamically designed fro minimum resistance.

So basically, I'd be pushing the team for a more cobbled-together look. And I love that Brough Superior front-end!

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was drawn to the sparseness of the Bobber design, and its pre-unit look. I like how they make it look like it has a separate gearbox. So, if I was in charge of development, I'd try to make it look as much like individual components brought together as possible. The antithesis of the modern bike, in which everything is designed to produce a harmonious whole. I really like the headlight that looks like a lamp in a bucket, rather than a sleekly designed lighting unit in a fairing and all aerodynamically designed fro minimum resistance.

So basically, I'd be pushing the team for a more cobbled-together look. And I love that Brough Superior front-end!
Thanks for that, well said and that fits well with a lot of my thinking and preferences. Although I don't think I could have quite said it that well.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The following may not be considered a major design element but changing the location of the ignition switch is a major matter to me.

Chico

·
Registered
509 Posts
You will all hate me....belt drive....

I've put 2,000 miles on mine in two months. Although the chain is fine , the getting it lubed up and the basic maintenance to it isn't rider friendly. I've been putting mine up on the table and gently lifting the rear of the main frame with a small jack (with a rag in between ;) ) while pivoting on the kick stand to adjust and lube. I had two belt drive Yamaha cruisers. I only thought about the belt , oh , about never.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
The following may not be considered a major design element but changing the location of the ignition switch is a major matter to me.

Chico
To where?

Now that I think about it, when I get in my cars, I don't have to take the "key" out of my pocket. Just punch an ignition button.....to modern for a modern classic?

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I've put 2,000 miles on mine in two months. Although the chain is fine , the getting it lubed up and the basic maintenance to it isn't rider friendly. I've been putting mine up on the table and gently lifting the rear of the main frame with a small jack (with a rag in between ;) ) while pivoting on the kick stand to adjust and lube. I had two belt drive Yamaha cruisers. I only thought about the belt , oh , about never.
Sounds scary, paddock stands or a wheel roller, ma'friend.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds scary, paddock stands or a wheel roller, ma'friend.
I've done it for decades. At least on bikes with no service stands and a robust side stand. I only get the bike up an inch or two. But enough to adjust the chain or lube em' good. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
To where?

Now that I think about it, when I get in my cars, I don't have to take the "key" out of my pocket. Just punch an ignition button.....to modern for a modern classic?
To the left side or the triple tree. Have you been on an incline and tried to shut the bike?

Chico

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't disagree with the ignition thought. Once I'm seated , I want to reach down and turn the key on , all the while holding the rear brake with my right foot. I'm just not that coordinated I guess. Would be easier on the left side , at least for me. Yeah , I know there's a kit to move it.........:)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts