Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With that big fat tyre on the front? If I recall my Harley 48, it was BRUTAL!

The Bobber is already pushing the limit of it's handling abilities (not bad to be honest for the type of bike that it is), but how much worse do you all think it will be on the Black?

Contemplating it as it has a few more bits to it. I guess I could always swap out the front for the one on the stock bobber? Maybe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t think for one second Triumph will produce a bad handling bike, nor having I seen any reviews about bad handling, other than ground clearance and really pushing the pace over bumpy tarmac.
If there are concerns about the handling in the way you personally ride then I would consider another bike.
I should add that I’ve only ridden the standard Bobber and the Indian Bobber.

I do however await reviews on the Black edition before I buy one.

SK

·
Registered
526 Posts
I tested an Indian scout with a big fat front wheel, I personally was not a fan. it still went round corners and bends, but there was something I didn't like. I couldn't put my finger on it but its not for me.
Twin discs would be nice, but I am getting used to only having 1.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don’t think for one second Triumph will produce a bad handling bike, nor having I seen any reviews about bad handling, other than ground clearance and really pushing the pace over bumpy tarmac.
If there are concerns about the handling in the way you personally ride then I would consider another bike.
I should add that I’ve only ridden the standard Bobber and the Indian Bobber.

I do however await reviews on the Black edition before I buy one.

SK

Hi Skyskop, just for interest sake what were your honest thoughts on riding both Bobbers? Good and bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually liked both of them for different reasons. I only rode each of the Bobbers for a few hours, some town,motorway and a little twisty on roads. Both of the bikes have character and I was attracted to the Indian for the American heritage (I’m not saying the Triumph doesn’t have any). I would advise to do the same before you buy.
I must tell you that I’ve been riding bikes pretty much most of my adult life (40 yrs), mostly sports/sports touring type bikes (I currently own a Suzuki SV1000S).Im 57,13 stone and about 5f7in.
As I’m retiring next year I wanted something special in my garage and so the hunt started for a Bike around a £10,000 budget.
Like all bikes out there it’s a matter of personal choice, the Triumph Bobber for me was the better bike as I just liked the looks and handling. I loved the fact that whenever I stopped in Town the Triumph attracted an audience! I’m fully aware of some of the issues of the Triumph re tank range etc but for me personally its the Triumph that’s getting my vote. I’m off to the NEC motorcycle show at the weekend to see the Black edition before I decide which Triumph I buy.
I have been looking at many forums on the Triumph Bobber in the last few months and it’s clear that it’s a very popular bike, however in my view some of owners modifications have totally destroyed all the good work that has been done by Triumph turning a great looking bike into a Harley-Davidson custom thing.
Hope that was the answer you were expecting.
SK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bobber Black was reviewed in Ride Mag this month and they loved it and said that it actually handled better with the fatter front

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really fancied the Speedmaster as I wasn't that sure about the floating seat on the Bobber, reminded me of a Harley FL.

I liked the way the seat sat in the frame but after seeing it at the NEC show I felt the Speedmaster is really geared up for two up riding and I brought the Bobber. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I actually liked both of them for different reasons. I only rode each of the Bobbers for a few hours, some town,motorway and a little twisty on roads. Both of the bikes have character and I was attracted to the Indian for the American heritage (I’m not saying the Triumph doesn’t have any). I would advise to do the same before you buy.
I must tell you that I’ve been riding bikes pretty much most of my adult life (40 yrs), mostly sports/sports touring type bikes (I currently own a Suzuki SV1000S).Im 57,13 stone and about 5f7in.
As I’m retiring next year I wanted something special in my garage and so the hunt started for a Bike around a £10,000 budget.
Like all bikes out there it’s a matter of personal choice, the Triumph Bobber for me was the better bike as I just liked the looks and handling. I loved the fact that whenever I stopped in Town the Triumph attracted an audience! I’m fully aware of some of the issues of the Triumph re tank range etc but for me personally its the Triumph that’s getting my vote. I’m off to the NEC motorcycle show at the weekend to see the Black edition before I decide which Triumph I buy.
I have been looking at many forums on the Triumph Bobber in the last few months and it’s clear that it’s a very popular bike, however in my view some of owners modifications have totally destroyed all the good work that has been done by Triumph turning a great looking bike into a Harley-Davidson custom thing.
Hope that was the answer you were expecting.
SK

I couldn't agree more. It;s not a Harley, never will be BUT it's a Triumph! Which is a noble badge as well. I love my Triumph for being a Triumph and my Harley's for being a Harley. See my opinions below on the Black thread:

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/161-new-members-introduction/6986-new-member-should-i-buy-2017-2018-a.html#post71618

MY POST #23 in that thread:

See, I like that and agree.

I own an FXR, a Fat Boy and the Bobber. The FXR handles ok for a heavy, old style bike (frame here is everything), the FatBoy is a dog in the turns (nothing soft about a soft tail) and I have crashed twice on a high side too fast in surprise turns. The Fat Boy has the fat tires front and rear. Good on open road but suffers in turns as well as heavy steering in same. The Bobber Black does nothing for me for those reasons as well as I like a larger, skinnier front to rear tire look but that's just me. Other than the duel brakes, the Black Bobber is a no go for me.

I love my original, 2018 Bobber. It is a great compromise of a fast handling scoot in cruiser livery. It's not ready for MotoGP but is a great, fantastic bike for what it is intended for.

Again, you're personal preferences are all that matter. Enjoy the journey!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I am running the stock suspension and I have no issues with it really. I could see updating the monoshock at some point, but am very pleased with how the normal Bobber handles.

Then again, I'm not one that is trying to push the bike to it's limits in corners, etc. I just find it very responsive in my type of riding (not road racing/canyon carving, but also not just plodding along 10 below the speed limit....). I have ridden other bikes (standard/cruisers) after getting the Bobber, and am surprised how much better the Bobber handles than them.

If the Bobber Black seems to handle better, that's great, but not needed for me!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Personally, I really enjoy watching owners mod and personalize their bikes so they can express themselves and show off their pride and joy.
I say go for it and do what makes you smile!

Of course sometimes it may not be to my taste, but if it makes the owner happy - then that’s what matters and suits me just fine.
Using words like “destroy” and “mobile hairdresser” are a bit harsh in my opinion. But of course everyone is entitled to their say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took a bobber black out for a ride yesterday while my t120 was getting serviced, and here are my thoughts.

The handling and power output is quite good, but the bike in its stock form is pretty uncomfortable. I like that the seat is adjustable, but the seat itself isn't that great, i.e. it needs more cushioning. I also found the low seat height with low handlebars and mid controls to be detrimental to the ride quality. I was only on the bike for 15 minutes and I got pretty cramped, so forward controls and handlebar risers or apes would be a must - not to mention a cat delete and new pipes. The fat front wheel is sexy as **** though, and it's surprisingly nimble for its dimensions. The monoshock was adequate for the roads I tested it on, but I didn't get to take it too far. I also like how trim and spartan the aesthetics are, especially compared to the much bulkier Indian and Harley equivalents.

So, all in all, I really liked the bike, although I think the price is a bit steep, especially when you factor in all of the necessary aftermarket parts just to make it comfortable.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts