Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobber Black girders forks all finished. Shame I can’t ride it until Monday.
Massive thanks to Malcolm at Metal Malarkey for design and fabrication. Check him out here; https://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Looks great! I too am looking forward to hearing your review regarding how the new setup feels and especially how it handles on curvy roads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks a lot better than I expected.
Good job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Best custom work I’ve seen so far!
Good thing I’m done my builds because every time I see a magnificent project like these forks, I get tempted to go further.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick ride report after a quick 30 minute blast.
I’ll write another update once the brass bushes had worn in and I slacken off the pre load.
I wasn’t sure what to expect handling wise, although I expected the ride to be less ‘plush’ due to more limited travel.

I rode on some of the usual twisties near to me, main roads and some pretty crappy single lane roads (I live out in the herts country side).
On some of the severe bumps I thought I could feel more feedback, but this is as likely due to the stiffness on the fork and the need for everything to bed in.
Everything else felt very familiar to me.
I’m really extremely happy, mostly because they look fucking awesome ��.
I have a few more cosmetic changes to make now I have the Bike back so expect me to spam this board in a week or so once finished.

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Thanks for that, an exciting modification and if you love or hate it, it's great to see/hear about such projects.

My only experience with springers/girders was riding 3,400 miles coast to coast here in the US a little over ten years ago. I was on a new HD Springers Softail. My memories were mostly positive and only really noticed a huge difference when hitting deep/unexpected potholes - which was no fun at all.

But overall no real problems.

Cheerio old chap and the very best of luck with this great project.

Roy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that, an exciting modification and if you love or hate it, it's great to see/hear about such projects.

My only experience with springers/girders was riding 3,400 miles coast to coast here in the US a little over ten years ago. I was on a new HD Springers Softail. My memories were mostly positive and only really noticed a huge difference when hitting deep/unexpected potholes - which was no fun at all.

But overall no real problems.

Cheerio old chap and the very best of luck with this great project.

Roy
I wasn't aware, until I bubble wrapped the original forks, that they have rubber bushings where the bar clamps mount to the yoke. With the girders the bars are fixed direct to the top yoke, so this will explain some of what I was feeling on the more aggressive bumps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple of pics now the bikes back home.
Changed up the badging and tinted the headlight with film.
I need to tidy up the cables as they are more visible now.
I have another set of bars to try out first though.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts