Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Ridge British Bike Rally 3 Friday 9/21/18 through Saturday, 9/22/18
Rally start both days will be at Peaks of Otter Visitor center (NOT the lodge); milepost 86 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Kickstands up @ 10:00 A.M.

Sorry this took so long, guys & gals, but I had to struggle with either moving the date or just bypassing the Peaks of Otter Lodge. The thing is that POOL has been booked for several months with 2 weddings for the weekend of BRBBR3 (9/21/18 & 9/22/18). There are a few rooms left, but they will not be discounted (about $180/night). Very few stayed there last year anyway because of the price. I know that some of you have set aside the weekend, so rather than have me mess with the dates, just plan on staying in Bedford; about 12 miles away. It's MUCH cheaper, and closer to a bunch of restaurants.

Days Inn - 921 Blue Ridge Ave., {U.S. 460} Bedford VA 24523 (540)586-8286 will discount 15%
Rates include tax Mention Blue Ridge British Bike Rally:
Thursday, September 20: Queen: $44.20; King: $45.90; 2 Double: $54.40
Friday and Saturday, September 21 & 22; Queen: $73.95/night; King: $75.65/night; 2 Double: $84.15/night

Super 8 - 842 Sword Beach Ln., Bedford VA 24523; (540)587-0100; will discount rooms to $77.20/one king including tax or $88.23/ two queens including tax. Reserve by Aug/20/2018. Cancellations no later than 1 week prior. Rate includes continental breakfast, HBO, Showtime, Wi-Fi, microwave & refrigerator. Rates apply Wednesday night 9/19 through Sunday night 9/23.

<U><I><B>For my money, I'd use the Super 8</B></I></U> In either case, mention "Blue Ridge British Bike Rally" for these rates.

Bedford VA B&B's available also <Title:Link>Bedford Area Bed and Breakfasts and Vacation Home Rentals | Bedford VA Area B&B and vacation rentals National D-Day Memorial is only a couple miles from Days Inn & Super 8.
Variety of chain and independent restaurants in Bedford; only a mile or two east on U.S.460.
Camping available near Peaks of Otter visitor center; 1/4 mile from rally start.
This is some of the best riding east of the Mississippi River; curvy, hilly roads, mostly smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some tentative routes. SO FAR, weather looks good for Friday, iffy for Saturday, but it's over a week away, and much can & will likely change. Stay tuned.
Ride 1: I like this on Friday, as the restaurant in the mountains at Paint Bank VA is pretty small. It is a favorite destination for bikers and will be very crowded if we do this on Saturday.

#2, 2A (2A is similar to 2, but shorter if folks prefer.) & 3 are options for Saturday. On the map, these appear to be on I-81, but there is a parallel road that we would be on. There are NO interstate roads on any of there rides.

One of my favorite rides in the area is #3, with great vistas, mostly smooth curvy roads. There is a buffet in Covington VA for this ride, so we don't spend too much time waiting to be seated & served.

KICKSTANDS UP BOTH DAYS AT 10:00 A.M. FROM VISITORS CENTER MILEPOST 86 ON BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY
PLAN 25-30 MINUTES FROM HOTELS IN BEDFORD.

Ride 1-196 miles; Ride 2-182 miles; Ride 2A-163 miles; Ride 3-189 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There must've been some trees down north of Peaks of Otter, because that part of the BRP was still closed this morning. I pre-rode ride 3 (clockwise on map) today and it's all in good shape. By the time I made it back to BRP, it was all opened up, although a bit of debris on the roadway. But that's no big deal there.
As of now, The Weather Channel is showing a 40% rain chance for Friday, and 60% Saturday, and 60% Sunday for your return home. I've seen it downpour here when they said 10% and I've seen it sunny & beautiful when they said 80%, so bottom line is, unless it's <I>pouring</I>, I'll be there by 9:30 both days ready to lead the intrepid souls (or soul) that made the effort to come. It truly is great riding here, so if you don't live too far, I hope you make the effort to join in. I understand it may not worth the risk if you live too far. (I wimped out on BTB and regretted it.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts