Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I was planning on registering over here sooner. I hate the first post I make being a problem about the bike... but here it goes.

So the first time this happened was at a gas station in April. I filled the bike up, put the key in and turned it to the on position. No lights, no tach sweep, no anti-theft blinking, completely dead. I dismantled the battery bay and removed the battery to inspect the connections but upon removal/re-connection of the battery the bike started.

Fast forward to today, the same issue occurred. I removed the battery and cleaned up the lugs, screws and any surface that makes a connection. I noticed the battery had cardboard shims in it, I removed those and reinstalled the battery a couple hours later. Same deal... Bike turned over like nothing happened.

This is my first motorcycle, I've always been a car guy so I'm mechanically inclined. I'm guessing the small cardboard shims were to keep the nuts in the battery terminals? Or was this the culprit?

I'm still happy with the bike... I'll just be concerned for awhile after I shut it off while I'm out.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Did you test the actual battery? Could it a lemon battery? Also, make sure that if dielectric grease is being used it is not where the connections are actually touching. That can stop the electrical connection from occuring.

If everything checks out there, would trace the power cables and check connections. Make sure harnesses are fully connected, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I realise it's an intermittent fault, which can be difficult to trace, but it's a new bike so I'd be straight to the dealer with it.

BTW, I've had the battery out and no cardboard bits in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts