Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Okay so I'm really no expert on this but when I purchased mine the sales chap (who races Triumphs) suggested I replace the cat. This I did but not sure how much weight I dropped from this process but having lifted the cat it's rather hefty so I think that would be a good start.

Perhaps someone more authoritative than I can say how much weight this sheds from the bike?

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am quite sure you didn't replace the cat, you removed it and I am guessing you saved 6 or 8 lbs in the process! The bad news is that since it's the lowest point on the bike you can't feel it!>:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Curtail beer, Ice cream, and bread.....???? substitute vodka....
:laugh:

Or substitute Scotch. :smile2:

In my younger days I rode bicycles. I spent big bucks buying the lightest shifters and the lightest pedals and the lightest seats. And then one day someone told me to get rid of a few pounds myself. It worked and was a lot cheaper than buying expensive parts.

As for the Bobber . . . it is already stripped down. A lighter exhaust might help.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good luck finding a light set of straight through unless you go to a custom pipe shop. Place in Thailand does it but they want the bike there so not an option for me. I tried customizing a pair of mass moto pipes meant for Bonnie t120’s but it would take major customization so unfortunately I wasted a lot of money. I’d venture to say I’ve lost close to that on my Bobber though. The catalytic converter alone I bet is a good 10lbs. That thing is unnecessarily heavy.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think 30 Lbs off the actual bike might be hard to do. But Cat Delete, Air Box Delete, Smaller, or No Rear/Front Fenders, Small LED lights, Straight Pipes (if you can live with the noise) all would help. Fill the tires with Helium? Make sure you take a good dump before you go riding? Not sure on the OPs weight sitaution, but I am in the camp of loosing body weight is the best way, and lots of upside on the health front for many of us. Plus I do not think reducing the mass by a few percentage points makes that much difference for street/road riding. However, a true Bobber is a striped to the bones bike, IMHO. I will be doing a Cat Delete, an Air Box Delete and reducing the size of the lights by going to high intensity LEDs. Once done I will add up the mass/weight numbers and post them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate the suggestions. Even the suggestion that I lose weight! (A suggestion my wife makes not infrequently...)

Acc to British Customs, their decat x-pipes only cut 3.8 lbs. Perhaps others could do another pound or so, but I don't think you're going to get too much. The main way would seem to be lighter pipes, but as some have said, there are not too many options out there. BC has some new sleeper pipes for the Bobber, but they do not list how much weight it saves, which probably means not much.

Anti-gravity battery might save several pounds..?

It just seems to me that 500+ lbs is high for a "bobber." But I guess that's the price to pay for all the modern extras (ABS, traction control, radiator, etc).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just for the record:
1. I have no idea if 'majstevetrevor' even needs to shed any weight......
2. I do know that addition has only 1 "T"
and
3. I have also recently lost 30 pounds(refraining from beer, ice cream and bread) and, yes.....vodka to replace the beer ...

regards
koz

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good luck finding a light set of straight through unless you go to a custom pipe shop. Place in Thailand does it but they want the bike there so not an option for me. I tried customizing a pair of mass moto pipes meant for Bonnie t120’s but it would take major customization so unfortunately I wasted a lot of money. I’d venture to say I’ve lost close to that on my Bobber though. The catalytic converter alone I bet is a good 10lbs. That thing is unnecessarily heavy.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
BC Shotguns are super lite and readily available, those and a cat delete will probably get you close to 20 lbs!

A Lithium battery would be the third big saver, after that I think you would be down to saving ounces unless you start eliminating things like fenders which I am not suggesting! >:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
As Tri mentioned, Verex in Tasmania so a full replacement exhaust system to start with then depending on just how much money you have to waste, you could go for Magnesium/Titanium wheels and engine cases along with losing the mudguards (best open an account with the dry cleaner) along with spokes, full titanium bolt kit to replace all the fasteners, lose the shock and go full hardtail, magnesium seat pan, aluminium sprockets (gonna be a real wear issue there), other than going on a crash diet, those are about the only choices I can think of.

Then again what's the weight of a rear sprung hub and drum brake to replace rear brake system and the shock?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts