Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

I've been getting out early every morning this week for a ride and before it gets a little too hot. You know the old saying "only mad dogs and Englishman"? Well this Englishman definitely likes to stay out of the midday sun here in Arizona.

Anyway, I think these nice sedate morning rides cruising around desert roads at 50/60 MPH have improved my MPG, so thought I would share.

I put Trip 1 down to zero each time I fill up and consistently (on my Speedmaster tank) get 130 miles (give or take a mile or two) before the low fuel light comes on. Today I reached 140 :grin2: so pulled over at the side of the road to take a photo or three.

Pretty good I think, I may even continue to take it easy this week and see if I can improve on that.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
I’ve been getting about 120 miles before the light on my SM tank but I’m pretty aggressive on launch. One of these days, I’ll have to take a fuel bottle and see exactly how far I can get on a full SM tank.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In the summer of last year, I managed once to get 260km (161.4 miles!) out of a full tank.
This was a mix of normal riding, around the beautiful Edersee lake district in Germany, and the ride home on the Autobahn A7 at 140 km/h.
I've not managed that again since then, but consistently get at least 200km/120 miles out of a full tank.

I rode down to Monaco from here near Hannover, via Montreux, Geneva, Grenoble, Gap, last autumn, stopping for fuel about every 180-200km, which is about the time I want to stop anyway on long tours.

I don't need a bigger tank.
Cheers!
mike

PS, the picture was taken in Apricale, Italy. Just 40 km from Monaco, beautiful ride up through the south-west end of the Alps.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
The best mileage for me was last week 60.3 US miles per US gallon. That gives me a theoretical total of 144 miles per tank with 2.4 capacity. That day I rode %80 on backroads, %20 on highway at speed of about 65 mph.

Chico

·
Registered
664 Posts
My current tankful has lasted 120 miles and shows 78 miles to go at an average of 73m's per UK G (60.8 m per US) All along non highway roads...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it easy again on my last tank of gas and bang on 140 the low fuel light came on, so very consistant. Although I'm keen to see if I can 'squeeeeeze' a few more riding miles out of her just for fun.

I like running a Speedmaster tank with that little bit of extra capacity, so yesterday the low fuel light came on at 140 and I hit 160 before the next gas station and still had (gauge reading) 20 miles to go, nice..:smile2:

Will see how I fair on this tank.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
120 Posts
A bigger tank is on my wish list. I made 208 kms with the stock tank with 20 something to go when I filled last time. Was sweating looking for a fuel station.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Beaker,

You were cutting it close there mate. I had a similar incident in the hills north of Taos New Mexico when I was still running my stock tank, that was enough to convince be the larger tank was the way to go.

I still thing both tanks really look the biz though, it's just the Speedy tank works better for me.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surprisingly todays low fuel light came on at 142. Surprising as I think I was a little more 'brisk' in my riding over the last few days.

So since I started paying attention a couple of weeks back, my low fuel light has come on at:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Belt Drive & MPG

Notes:

a) As well as posting this here in this thread, I'm also posting it in the 'Belt Drive' thread.
b) Remember I'm running a Speedmaster tank.
c) Mileage calculated from fill up to when my low fuel light comes on.
d) I was attempting to get good mileage, so all riding was steady.

With my recent fitting of a belt-drive I noted how much smoother my gearing was and also that in all gears the bike would comfortable run at lower revs. This got me thinking that perhaps better fuel consumption was possible, so I gave it a go.

Previously my best on three separate occasions (taking into account all of the points above) was 140, 140 & 142. That would make my very best was 142. Using the same criteria and with my belt drive today I was able to achieve 147..:grin2:

147 with new belt drive fitted.

Not bad:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts