Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i had the FreeSpirits belt drive conversion installed.
My mechanic likes a good ol´ challenge and is always up for some modding. Luckily for him this mod didn't disappoint !
***This conversion SHOULD be done by a pro.

The sensation of a belt drive is very different to that of a chain on the Bobber. I feel that throttle control is now more 'electric' and power is delivered to the back wheel with less of a delay & in a mature yet potent manner. There is certainly NO indication of any power loss. If anthing, the bikes feels EASIER to accelerate with from first gear onwards. Its hard to explain, but the best way to put it is that both on and off the throttle, the bike is smoother and therefore feels faster.
There is definitely less noise and its fun to hear the gears clicking into place perfectly with every shift.

Overall, its a very special mod and i think it compliments the Bobber perfectly both in looks and functionality.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicely done! Are you able to explain why it was a difficult install?
Only that it invloves cutting.
Like i said, my mechanic is amazing and loves every kind of work on cars/bikes.
He said the kit is VERY well made and everything fits precisely. BUT it wasn´t easy.
He gave it an 8/10 on the difficulty scale, as tools and knowledge (& experience/confidence) are needed.

Sorry i can´t be more specific as i was not there while he worked on my bike. It took him a whole day from start to finish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Only that it invloves cutting.
Like i said, my mechanic is amazing and loves every kind of work on cars/bikes.
He said the kit is VERY well made and everything fits precisely. BUT it wasn´t easy.
He gave it an 8/10 on the difficulty scale, as tools and knowledge (& experience/confidence) are needed.

Sorry i can´t be more specific as i was not there while he worked on my bike. It took him a whole day from start to finish.
I wonder if cutting will be required if you had to replace the drive chain? The mod is definitely worth it though.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love to have belt drive. This is my first bike in many many years with a chain. BUT all of the disassembly would be required every time the belt is replaced and I don't know if it is worth that expense.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would love to have belt drive. This is my first bike in many many years with a chain. BUT all of the disassembly would be required every time the belt is replaced and I don't know if it is worth that expense.
How often do belts need to be replaced though?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How often do belts need to be replaced though?
Belts can last a VERY long time (between 50-100k+ miles) depending on usage.
Pulleys also have to be replaced from time to time, i think.
I suppose there is more labour involved when the time comes to replace it (when comparing to chain).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, cutting is required and reverting back to stock is NOT an option. Sorry to necro an old thread - I was interested and looked at the PDF for the instructions. If you think you'd like to revert back to stock this mod would not be recommended.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A piece has to be cut in order to install the belt, however it is bridged so that you can always go back to OEM. The only part that will not “look” stock is that specific bridging piece.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mar-Vel.
I’ve seen some stunning chain setups (colored with large sprockets, etc) on some Bobbers. But the moment I saw the belt conversion, I knew it was for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I’ve never seen a bike converted from chain to shaft (but like the idea very much !!)

The belt hasn’t needed adjusting in ages, no matter how I use the throttle and it is a pleasure not to have to clean/lubricate the f’ing thing.

Sorry if I’m making anyone jealous, but I can’t tell you how glad I was to shelve the chain lube >:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts