Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Lads & Lasses,

Well I just road my Triumph back from my mechanic after having the belt drive conversion done. Just a few miles, so can't really give an authoritative review but thus far I'm loving it. I love the way it looks, I love how clean it is and although I have not as yet noticed any difference in performance, it is sooooo much smoother.

Now I have jobs to do as in re fit the sprung seat, sort out black bolts, fit the guard etc.

But wanted to just throw up a quick thread to let you all know Charlotte is back home and looking good...:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
You are such a bad influence! It looks so clean! Now I’ve got to try it on one of my bikes. I think I’ll order the kit tonight.
I’m curious how many hours was the install?
Can’t wait to hear your updates as you put it through the test?

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Looks fantastic mate. Tell me more about this smoothness of which you speak...:grin2:

Also, what has it done for the gearing ratio?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love the look of chain, but the convenience of a belt has made me very very tempted to do this mod too, just for the pure practicality (read laziness) let alone the other advantages of smooth and quiet. Thanks for sharing the pics; I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how "at home" it looks. Any issues with the bracket that needed to be cut in the install?

I'm looking forward to more of your ride reports over time.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

I'm excited about this upgrade and think the bike is really getting close now to my perfect ride.

My mechanic did a few other little projects for me, but I would guess it would take two to four hours to complete depending on competence and if you had done it before etc.

As to the smooth ride; I noticed right away that the 'snatchiness' (is that a word :surprise:) in low gears and as you change up, was immediately gone. I was really hoping for this, so a great improvement.

I don't use the power too much and just mostly putter around, so having this belt smooth out gear changes and running at lower revs is going to add some real comfort (if that's the right word) to my riding experience.

As to gearing, as I understand it there isn't much difference. My mechanic felt it was just a little quicker and I know others who have done this have said the same but I will need a little more time to see if that's my experience.

Well, lots of puttering ahead today as I'm refitting my sprung seat, looking at the chain (now belt.:wink2: ) guard, panniers & brackets, repositioned the exhausts etc. So will report back soon.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does the belt have a tensioner (cant see one) or is tension still controlled by moving the wheel back?

How does the final drive ratio compare to stock?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am seriously tempted by this. I like the convenience of a chain, but flinging grease everywhere is tedious and the last thing you want with whitewalls. I take it this is the Free Spirits kit Roy?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's correct mate.

Got it from Brian at A&J a few months back. The project came together just like he said it would.

I was running my chain/sprocket dry just cause I was annoyed at all the grease splatter. Now this set up not only look clean, it is clean and runs smooth too. If you can spring for the cost thus far I see no down side only positive.

The Harley chaps at the shop (when I was picking it up last night) were really taken with it. They had never heard of a belt drive Triumph before....:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update folks.

Been working on my bike all day, various projects which I will share later.

However one update to the belt drive, you can't get your stock chain guard on. It does come with adaptors to re-position is but it appears you can only fit the guard when the wheel is out..:surprise:

I had deliberatly taken my guard off and told my mechanic that I would refit it, hoping to save him a little time but it now appears that this can only be done with the wheel out.

No big issue for me as you can't really see it with panniers on anyway but worth mentioning.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Belt-Drive Update

Well I've been running this for the last couple of days and been out on a few test rides.

I've done some town riding, been up in the mountains for few miles and also been on the freeway this morning.

The upshot is I LOVE this mod...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

In regards performance, I can honestly say that 'I' have not noticed any difference. I know some have said it feels a little quicker but the bike seems to run just the same to me.

The big change is in the transference of power to the back wheel and much smoother that is. Up through the gears it really is very smooth indeed and has almost completely removed any jerkiness. I also noticed that when running at a steady pace and when one is making those gentle speed adjustments, like rolling off the throttle and then back on, it really smooths out this whole process beautifully.

Aside from that, it looks clean and is clean. Overall a really superb modification and one I would highly recommend.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s got my curiosity up..
I love the look of the white walls .. especially on a All Black bike... it kinda look like a Tuxedo...
As for slinging grease from a chain.. not sure why it is an issue with new bikes.. doesn’t this have a “O Ring” chain? Lube should be minimal.. basically a dry lube strictly for the chain/gear contact.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.... I usually am..

·
Super Moderator
779 Posts
It’s got my curiosity up..
I love the look of the white walls .. especially on a All Black bike... it kinda look like a Tuxedo...
As for slinging grease from a chain.. not sure why it is an issue with new bikes.. doesn’t this have a “O Ring” chain? Lube should be minimal.. basically a dry lube strictly for the chain/gear contact.
Please correct me if I’m wrong.... I usually am..
The interior bearings of an O/X ring chain may be lubed, but surely the main requirement for lube is between the chain and the sprocket? I saw a 125 (UK learner bike) the other day with a spotty yoof on board. It had a bright rust chain, with one link in the bottom run at right angles to the rest... Accident waiting to happen...

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just back from a small run to the store.

A couple of time I ran with the revs a little lower than ideal (too lazy to change down) but noticed there was almost no 'slap/chatter', the bike ran really smooth even at those lower revs. Very nice indeed.

The more I'm riding with this belt-drive the more I'm liking it.

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 56 Posts