Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just chatted with BC, these are the two types of exhaust they came up with... sleepers and straight pipes. now the guy said the sleepers do have a baffle in them and it cant be removed. The straight pipes are - loud - so in an x-pipe option he said they would be very loud cause there are no baffles... no sound yet. so we'll see once they can get some sound out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
So just chatted with BC, these are the two types of exhaust they came up with... sleepers and straight pipes. now the guy said the sleepers do have a baffle in them and it cant be removed. The straight pipes are - loud - so in an x-pipe option he said they would be very loud cause there are no baffles... no sound yet. so we'll see once they can get some sound out there.
Thanks for the pics! I was curious to see how they looked. I'm sure the straight pipes will be very loud.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Todd, thanks very much for the post buddy but you just cost me $390.00. I ordered the shotguns kind of against BC's advice because I already have their X-pipe. They recommended the Sleepers because they have baffling as you already stated. I ordered them expedited because I'm on the other side of the country and not big on patience. I delt with Matt and he seems like a great guy. Of course I will get back here with a report as soon as they arrive! >:)

·
Registered
792 Posts
So Todd where exactly are you located, you can probably here them in person when I get them. Where did you buy your bike?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bought it at Marks- so yep, you'll be the guinea pig on this BC exhaust. :) im gonna wait to see how they sound when you post a video. : I just got the high bar kit, so doing that this week.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ok, So I got my BC Shotguns today, 1 1/2 days from California to CT., not bad, I did say I like these guys. BC warned us these would be loud with the X-pipe and they are LOUD! Using the Walk scale of a Harley with straight pipes being a 10 and a stock Bobber being a 5, X-Pipe 6 and X-pipe with gutted pipes a 7 these are a 9.5 or 10. They are Harley loud, obnoxiously F------ loud! I love it! >:)

With the X-pipe and gutted stockers my bike used to burble and pop when you let off or down shift. Now they BURBLE and BACKFIRE!

The look is very old school, like old backyard builds. Younger people so far don't seem to like the look, you have to appreciate old school!

I tried to get a Vid but I couldn't produce anything like what they really sound like, then the sky got black and we are having severe thunderstorms, maybe I have angered the Heavens!

My bike draws crowds and inevitably someone says "fire it up dude".
I used to be embarrassed, not anymore! >:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, So I got my BC Shotguns today, 1 1/2 days from California to CT., not bad, I did say I like these guys. BC warned us these would be loud with the X-pipe and they are LOUD! Using the Walk scale of a Harley with straight pipes being a 10 and a stock Bobber being a 5, X-Pipe 6 and X-pipe with gutted pipes a 7 these are a 9.5 or 10. They are Harley loud, obnoxiously F------ loud! I love it! >:)

With the X-pipe and gutted stockers my bike used to burble and pop when you let off or down shift. Now they BURBLE and BACKFIRE!

The look is very old school, like old backyard builds. Younger people so far don't seem to like the look, you have to appreciate old school!

I tried to get a Vid but I couldn't produce anything like what they really sound like, then the sky got black and we are having severe thunderstorms, maybe I have angered the Heavens!

My bike draws crowds and inevitably someone says "fire it up dude".
I used to be embarrassed, not anymore! >:)

Pics please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is this a good thing??

Isn't this a sign that the engine is not running at full efficiency? Yes, the sound is great, but....

As I understand it: "Burbleing and backfiring can be either rich or lean [air-to-fuel ratio]. Generally, when just the exhaust system is changed, for less back pressure, it creates a leaner condition, heating the internal parts of the exhaust system hotter than normal while accellerating. Anything that is combustable, entering the exhaust system during closed throttle decelleration, will ignite, that includes oil from the pvc system, and leaky valve seals, under the high vacuum conditions of closed throttle decelleration. The factory takes all of this into consideration, and balances tuning, via intake restriction, exhaust restriction, and computer tuning to eliminate this."

·
Registered
792 Posts
In theory this is a sign of a too lean condition which all modern ( Euro 3
Euro 4 ) bikes have. This burbling and popping was present in the stock system as reported by sometimes worried members here! It is just more pronounced as you get less muffling! Modern fuel injected bikes will always be on the lean side of perfect. If you get a tuner such as a Power Commander or their competition you can fatten it up some. The bike under throttle runs just as good as it did before, at least from a seat of the pants dyno!

The exhaust is always hot enough to ignite any unburnt fuel whether from a too rich or lean condition. Next time you are riding and see a pack of Harleys ride with them for a while, you will hear the exact condition I describe. Thousands of bikes do this, I only suggest Harleys because they are most likely to have modded exhausts!

·
Registered
792 Posts
!
Can we get a video- doesnt matter if its crappy... :)
I haven't been able to produce anything that sounds any where near the actual bike. Within 10 feet I get distortion like the Norton Dominator vids. Farther away and you might just as well watch any other vid. I am still trying, I'm just not into having something misleading with my name on it.
Have you heard a Harley with straightpipes, they are as common as dirt and will give you a much better idea then my phone will!

We are not far apart, we could meet and you could hear it for yourself. Its not for everybody!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks for the info BobbyP!
There is a guy over on the Rat site that did extensive testing on this. First he did a few dyno pulls and recorded all the AFR's with a stock bike. They were of course on the lean side of perfect specially near idle. He then repeated the tests with an X-Pipe installed and found no significant changes in the AFR's, just a slight 2-3hp increase!. Finally he repeated the tests again with X-Pipe and a free flow exhaust, again same AFR,s!

He spent a lot of money and time so I didn't have to! His conclusion (and mine) was that the latest Triumph ECU had enough adjustment or latitude with its closed loop system to adjust for the X-Pipe and a free flow exhaust. Keep in mind that the BC Shotguns maybe freer flowing then what he had, but I have taken header temp readings with an IR sensor and find no significant changes! Also my header pipes have shown no more dis-coloration despite some hard riding in 90 degree weather!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke with the BC guys, they were saying it just sounded so loud, that even their engineer was saying it was just too loud without the cat. I'm going wiht the sleepers. They said there is an internal baffle welded inside, but that with the de-cat, it sounded loud, and wonderful compared to the V&H. Some nice gentleman in Canada bought a set- so they may have a sound wave up at some point in the next couple of weeks. I wanted loud, like my scrambler with arrow , but they said the straight pipe is even louder than that... which would be too loud for me. I'll post a video once i get them installed. one thing- i did get the high bar kit, they are freaking awesome! one very cool thing with them, they include a special rubber barrier between the bar risers and the top, this enables a small amount of flex in the bars. I can only image that is to avoid any movement during a hard stop or take off. very brilliant of the those triumph engineers.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ok.... So for all of you who requested a video even if it was crappy here you go. These things shake my bedroom windows 50 feet away..... at idle! The microphone is being overloaded and distorted badly on the revs! Notice the lack of mechanical engine noise that is present on every other Bobber video.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts