1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is shot.

Looking to replace.

Tell me what to buy... :)

Is the NICHE AGM Battery any good? It states YTX12-BS..... any good? Only option on Amazon....

I noticed that the stock is a YTX9-BS....

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may be limited if Amazon is your only option, but if you prefer AGM type batteries, Motobatt seems to be a very popular choice. I replaced the factory Yuasa AGM battery with a Shorai lithium iron phosphate battery. It is smaller, SEVERAL pounds lighter, and strong as an ox! I have left it sitting for over two months and it cranked as if it had been charged only the day before, no tender. That’s got my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may be limited if Amazon is your only option, but if you prefer AGM type batteries, Motobatt seems to be a very popular choice. I replaced the factory Yuasa AGM battery with a Shorai lithium iron phosphate battery. It is smaller, SEVERAL pounds lighter, and strong as an ox! I have left it sitting for over two months and it cranked as if it had been charged only the day before, no tender. That’s got my vote.

Where can these be purchased?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought my Shorai battery at a retail chain Cycle Gear, right off the shelf. I believe you can order them online direct from Shorai, but even if you can’t, I’d be willing to bet that they have a “find my nearest retailer” feature on the site. Ordering online is much more feasible with these, due to the much lighter weight and the fact that they are packaged in a padded box from Shorai. I believe they also are not subject to as many hazmat shipping restrictions as other types of batteries.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, I just did a quick Amazon search, and it appears you can get just about any size and model they offer!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not looking for amazing, power a satellite and charge your Tesla at the same time battery, just something better than stock.

It is interesting though that the stock battery has a sticker on it that has the VIN from my bike and says, void warranty if removed....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I want to say that I used the LFX18A1-BS12 model. That is an interesting comment on the sticker; I do recall my VIN being on the OE battery, but not much beyond that. I can’t speak intelligently to what vehicle manufacturers are allowed to do with regards to warranty outside the US, but new vehicles sold in the US must abide by the rules and regulations of the Federal Magnuson Moss Act. Removing and replacing the battery with any comparable model battery would have no bearing on the warranty unless it could be proven that the replacement battery was the direct cause of a failure or damage to the vehicle. Perhaps the statement is directed towards the warranty of the battery itself?

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not worried about the warranty, I just thought it was interesting that the OE battery had the sticker w/ VIN.

I am not a warranty dude. If I had the money, I'd mod the F out of whatever I buy on day 2 of owning it. Familiar with the laws for sure.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The only downside of the Shorai batteries is that they are reluctant to start a bike when the temperature is low, like freezing cold. This isn't an issue for those in temperate climates but those of us not as fortunate have to take that into account.
A good source for all batteries is Battery Mart and they're in Winchester VA. Batterymart.com.

Chico

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would recommend you try a Lithium Battery because they are much lighter. I tried one for my previous bike, a 2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 and was very much surprised! It was able to crank over that big engine even in the winter for such a tiny and light battery. On Amazon, there is a Mighty Max YTX9-BS Lithium Battery Replacement for Triumph T2500183 for $69.95. They say you need a special Lithium charger but I had no problems with mine for over a year until I traded my bike in for the Bobber. I will definitely replace my battery with a Lithium when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
My OEM battery is still ok despite being a Feb.17 and never seeing a maintenance/trickle charger.
However, I have decided to order a lithium ion as it’s replacement for when the time comes - which I imagine will be sooner rather than later as my current battery has been through a lot of cycles.

For all the E.U. members, here is the one I bought:
https://www.motoblouz.es/bateria-skyrich-lithium-ion-ytx9-bs-57166-v.html

·
Registered
687 Posts
I swapped my battery after 6 months mainly because of the weight and space savings. I needed more space in my battery compartment for my PCV and map switch. And I’ve still got room to put in a dash cam system. I got a Shorei (also in my Ducati) and couldn’t be happier. I never worry about charging it.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I believe the SkyRich batteries come in the same dimensions as the OEM in order to make install as straight forward as possible. But I’ll confirm this once I get it.

Here are the dimensions of the SkyRich (I’m not sure what the OEM battery size is):
L (mm): 150
W (mm): 87
H (mm): 105
Weight: 1200 g

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I am the OP on this, I went with a 30 dollar battery......installed, fired up, no issues. I can't relate to a few pounds diff for a battery when I am 250lbs....maybe more....maybe a lot more! Curse you craft beer and a job behind a keyboard!

If the OEM battery died <2 years for me, 30 bones per <2 years is fine with me.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Muenster, I didn’t get the li ion for weight saving. Just to try one out as I’ve never had one before.

There is no way I would notice a weight reduction on the Bobber. Heck, I didn’t even notice it on my gixxer 1000 when I had all major parts replaced with carbon fiber.
However, i did notice it when I replaced the wheels with BST carbon; unsprung mass is very noticeable at that level...but pretty redundant to do that on a road bike (apart from show).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts