Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I've had 2 Triumphs in the past, but they've had the little plug coming out of the battery, which made putting my Battery Tender Jr on for the winter very easy. Since the Bobber's battery is in the battery box, will I need to remove the battery completely? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hey gang,
I've had 2 Triumphs in the past, but they've had the little plug coming out of the battery, which made putting my Battery Tender Jr on for the winter very easy. Since the Bobber's battery is in the battery box, will I need to remove the battery completely? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Hi John, you don't have to remove the battery completely, the positive terminal is easily assessable behind the battery box cover, the negative terminal is difficult to get to but it’s earthed to the frame close to the battery box, which makes another easy assess point. :nerd:

I’ve fitted a Trumph Optimate connector cable and tied the connector underneath the ignition switch, and although it’s a tight it does fit.

Another option is to go for Triumph’s auxiliary power socket, which (with an adapter) can also be used as a charging port, it plugs straight into the harness and there’s a mounting point on the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Fit the hella accessory socket and plug the tender into that

·
Registered
66 Posts
Simple solution was to remove a small section of the battery tender ring terminal so it could be slide under the positive battery bolt. I just loosened it a bit and I used the frame ground pictured above. It was way to annoying to try to get the battery out

Gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have the CTEK US 0.8 and the pigtail is hidden below the air intake panel on the left and behind the battery case for easy access, works great!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe mine was “special” I do not know, but my bike came with the charging pigtail. It is on the left side right behins the mid intake cover. I have always used Deltran battery tenders on both my cars and bikes. It is essential for me as I am a snow bird and gone six months at a time to one of two homes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my triumph R3 came with a pigtail, my Bobber did not. i noticed most of his showroom floor bikes had one, so i mentioned it to my dealer and he said my Bobber was so new into his store that he had not yet had a chance to install one so he took the bike in the back, and installed one for the CTEK no charge. so i think it's a dealer's choice sort of thing.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Maybe mine was “special” I do not know, but my bike came with the charging pigtail. It is on the left side right behins the mid intake cover. I have always used Deltran battery tenders on both my cars and bikes. It is essential for me as I am a snow bird and gone six months at a time to one of two homes.
Now a days many dealers install one as part of PDI. My Norton and Bobber both came with one and and I know the are not factory installed!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Bobber came with a charging pigtail as well. I have used the Deltran charger for years on other motorcycles and it works great!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine came with an SAE pigtail installed and zip-tied to the rear frame. It takes my Battery Tender and YAUSA charger just fine. I've had both for about 10 years, and they work great - no complaints.

I'm not a big fan of the Battery Tender Jr. I find they are good for long term storage, but not good for bringing up a low battery due to the low amps.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've installed the Triumph Aux Power socket, part # A9820031. Very handy and convenient. Also good for any powered electronics or heated clothing.

Chico

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My dealer installs the pigtails on all newly purchased motorcycles. Have used both the Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr. for both bikes and they’ve worked great.

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
Switch went on my CTEK couldn't then switch between modes. Had a Optimate for many years still going strong.
Don't think there's much doubt that CTEK make the best chargers, I have a big one on the boat... I've upgraded my old Optimate for the new one, but for bike batteries, I think they're perfect. Speedmaster is plugged in at the moment, but I only turn it on for about a day or two a month, until the light goes steady green

Reactions: chezqui
1 - 19 of 19 Posts