Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd appreciate a bit of help from anyone who has installed the barrel grips themselves.
My dealer, who I trust 100%, told me to be very careful as the throttle by wire insides are fragile and can be damaged easily.
I'm okay doing this myself, built and bobbed a few bikes in my time; just thought I'd ask here so I know what to expect when taking the switch housing apart.

(Ever dismantled a 50's Triumph sprung hub housing..?:surprise::surprise::surprise::grin2:)

Thanks in advance for any assistance :smile2:

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks anyway for replying
Cheers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you have an air compressor you can start the grip on the handle bar and using a blow gun blow the compressed air into the grip this will strech the grip and make it very easy to slip on and not damage the TBW, here are a couple vids to explain how to do it, hope this helps

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have an air compressor you can start the grip on the handle bar and using a blow gun blow the compressed air into the grip this will strech the grip and make it very easy to slip on and not damage the TBW, here are a couple vids to explain how to do it, hope this helps
Thanks a lot mate, managed to do the installation myself this morning.:smile2:

So, for those who are looking to do this and are not sure what to expect;

After removing the mirror, dismantling the right side housing and the brake lever clamp, you will see the TBW unit into which the throttle grip engages.
The unit is secured inside the front half of the housing by 2 tiny little chrome plated Torx screws.
It's not necessary to remove these, just slacken them off enough until you can gently remove the throttle grip. Note where the tab on the grip engages into the TBW unit.

Putting it all back together is just reverse procedure.

Thanks for all your replies!
Cheers!

mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
do I need to buy the triumph barrel grips? or can I use any aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
23 Posts
@Tron311 you can use after market grips but if the are not open ended you'll have to cut and modify them to used stock mirrors. Also keep in mind the stock bars are metric just under 1 inch so the left grip might not be as tight as a fit. The throttle side has raised plastic ribs so in the aftermarket grips you can slightly see them and thumb guard side is raised I just cut the original grip to cover the plastic. I didn't use the stock bars or mirrors though.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for the input, I just got a good deal on some Triumph brown barrel grips so I'm going to go with those for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts