Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read that the 1st and 2nd baffles can be cut out using a drill and circular cutter. Anyone know of any vids that show the process?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
There are a few members who have done this.
Try the search function for now, but I’m sure a few members will chime in soon with some input.
Personally, I have left the OEM’s stock. So I can’t comment on gutting them.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I would honestly imagine it to sound unrefined and pretty wet farty?
Now THERES an image (and sound) i didn´t need at 8 in the morning - especially with my boiled egg breakfast >:)

From the vids i´ve heard of the de-baffled OEM exhausts, they sounded pretty good. But not sure about back pressure and potential hp loss. Maybe none but can´t say first hand.
I do know that with the baffles IN my Zards, the seat of my pants test tells me that the bike pulls better.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Now THERES an image (and sound) i didn´t need at 8 in the morning - especially with my boiled egg breakfast >:)

From the vids i´ve heard of the de-baffled OEM exhausts, they sounded pretty good. But not sure about back pressure and potential hp loss. Maybe none but can´t say first hand.
I do know that with the baffles IN my Zards, the seat of my pants test tells me that the bike pulls better.
My apologies... I didn’t mean to be so eggspletive! :grin2:

That’s a fair point you raise... the lack of back pressure and improper harmonics could well effect flow to a point of being sacrificial to hp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is that the ECU has enough leeway in it to cope with the loss of back pressure. I've also heard one with the baffles removed and it actually sounds pretty good :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah trying to find some photos or a video of the inside as well, I'm thinking of using a hole saw to cut out from the exhaust exit end. If the baffles are only welded to the end of the can then the hole saw can cut out around them. I can pull them out whole, mod them, and then weld the end cap back in place leaving a nearly unblemished pipe. Just need to know the welds/anchor points for the interior baffles.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cut this out with holesaw then used diegrinder to finish opening it out.

The next baffle I just twisted a bit for more flow.

Does not sound 'farty' & still goes ok.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thats pretty much what I did. Bike ran ok with just a little more burbling on rolloff. It was maybe 1 or 2 notches louder then stock but still a quality sound. Definitely not loud even with x-pipe. I tallied the whole thing up as a failure and threw on some BC Shotguns when they first became available!.,they are still there almost 2 years later. With the variety of Bobber pipes available now I would not recommend it. I did it when there were zero options! Unless you want a little louder for free or love the stock look, I can't recommend it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cut this out with holesaw then used diegrinder to finish opening it out.

The next baffle I just twisted a bit for more flow.

Does not sound 'farty' & still goes ok.
Thanks for the inside shots , appreciate it . So the baffles aren't fixed Thats good I'll go down the pipe with a piece of wood and a hammer after I cut through the end of the can. Im considering trying to build a 2-1 with the stock can as a donor part and the header system from a Tec- Raider to complete the setup..

Basically my plan is to use the wide diameter modded stock pipe to help support the extra flow by cutting off the L bend that comes from the cat, open the baffles up, then either weld it directly to the Y pipe from the Tec-Raider exhaust or weld in a reducer to fit them together. I've only seen one bobber with a 2-1 system before and it was a crossover system that had LOTS of pipe bending and welding that I'd rather not pay for or try to replicate. With this its only two welds and a header system already made to fit the Liquid cooled 1200 head.

Anybody on here make a 2-1 system and have some input for the conversation, any comments even scrutiny also welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
I've only seen one 2-in-1 exhaust on here and it was likely the one you've seen with a lot of bends. To me, the beauty of the Bobber is in its symmetry. By eliminating one side of the exhaust, the bike looks a little lopsided (worse than some Bobber owners think the side mounted license plate looks).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts