Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Badge delaminates with exposure to fuel!

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  oatmeal769 
#1 ·
Overfilled a bit, gas leaked out. Destroyed the shiny layer on the logo badge! Now it looks mottled and lame. Surely they'd think that some gas might spill occasionally...

Between that, the fragility of the matte paint (just looking at it will scratch it, I already have several scratches) and the leftover color difference from the removed sales decals, I'm already looking at a new paint job!

Not really happy with this part of the build quality. Does anyone know where to get a new decal/badge? How about re-painting? Will it cost an arm and leg?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow. Have you tried submitting a warranty claim?
I haven't. How is it done? Do I need to do that at a dealer? Also, what is the seat you have? More comfortable than the stock one? And, where'd you get the brake fluid British flag cover?

#3 ·
ouch.

i'm sure all of us have had the fuel overspill happen as it's easy to do with the design of the bobber tank, and also can depend on the gas station fuel pump nozzle. i've had bad luck with some stations, where it won't spill out but gasoline will start splattering/spraying out here around the filler hole.

was your tank badge chrome? looks like you have the ironstone from the photos. my tank badges were black.

definitely should check as should be covered under warranty hopefully. as would probably cost a few dollars to purchase.

i recently had to replace one of the small engine "1200" badges that fell off. cost 55$.

hope you get it all taken care of.

#15 ·

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I'm sure most of the owners on here have at one time or other squirted fuel over their tanks while filling. It happened to me about a week ago when the attendant switched the pump on before I had the nozzle in the hole and about a cup full of fuel dropped over my tank, and that was without me even touching the lever! Fortunately I was able to quickly mop it up with paper towels so no harm done.

But looking at your Decals that shouldn't happen (with just a splash of petrol) no way that's NOT normal and I'd be straight on to the dealer to pursue a warranty claim! :frown2:

As for the fragility of matte paint that's another thing, you definitely need the right products but there's load on YouTube about that. Hopefully it's not as bad as you think?

And possibly look at it as an opportunity to try something new, Triumph's 4 Bar Badges for the T120 can be made to fit and although they're expensive they look awesome and maybe with them being so wide they'd cover your damage and save you an expensive re-spray?

Good luck.

Attachments

#10 ·
The "H" fell off from my tank soon after taking delivery of my bike (i bought it used, so it was already a few months old). I took it back to the shop. Shop manager took a photo of it and filed a claim with Triumph. 2 weeks later, they replaced the whole badge.

I don't know what caused it to fall off, it just did.

#16 ·
I'll bet I do. I went to SD (400 miles from me) to buy my bobber. The two Denver dealers wouldn't come off retail more than a couple of hundred bucks even after days of haggling. Reminded me of a Harley Dealership. Pretty snooty.

#17 ·
So, I submitted a warranty claim, which Triumph denied. The reasoning was, overfilling isnt covered.

#20 ·
We'll see if the dealer can get me another for a low price. If not, I'm eyeballing your set-up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.