Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I've always had problems with my lower back and unfortunately, it seems like Triumph's seat is making them worst. After a few hours of riding, my back feels really sore and usually I just need to change my riding position, but with original Bobber seat it is impossible. So, I guess I have to shorten my riding time or do something with my seat...
Does anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have you thought about changing to a different seat?

I have the original seat still and you are right, it doesn't offer much scope for moving about on it. The other Triumph seats look like they aren't quite as restrictive as the standard one and don't seem to have that rear lip that envelops your behind.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I put on the statement seat.
It took a few hundred KM to bed in & get used to, but i won´t go back to the OEM seat now i´m used to it.
The main issue i was having with the stock seat was pain in my tailbone/coccyx. Sliding (the less cupped shaped) statement seat to the furthest back it´ll adjust to has stopped the discomfort i was getting.

Have you thought about modifying the bars in order to relieve pressure on you lower back? Maybe up&back risers or high bars to change your overall position?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Riding my Bobber is tolerable; however, I'm definitely stiff in my lower back after riding for some time. Comparing the Bobber to that of the HD Ultra-Low, where the suspension is easier, I acknowledge the Bobber has its limitations on riding time/range. And at 66 years, I ain't gettin' any younger.

To me, the stock seat is just fine. I'm wondering now whether to plunge for that fancy mono-shock for $750 that Triumph sells.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Riding my Bobber is tolerable; however, I'm definitely stiff in my lower back after riding for some time. Comparing the Bobber to that of the HD Ultra-Low, where the suspension is easier, I acknowledge the Bobber has its limitations on riding time/range. And at 66 years, I ain't gettin' any younger.

To me, the stock seat is just fine. I'm wondering now whether to plunge for that fancy mono-shock for $750 that Triumph sells.
Save $250 and go for the Matris which also has adjustable spring preload!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm in the opposite boat, i have some severe back issues and the sit upright and take all the weight on my back of the tiger made riding more than 20 miles a pain and 50 impossible, on the bobber i can lean forward a bit onto the bars and take all the weight off my back, tho i'm 6'4

Reactions: DevilDog

·
Registered
83 Posts
i too have a bad lower back, so i took my bobber to my physical therapist, and asked him what he thought...

he said that my riding position on the bobber is far better than my riding position on my Rocket3 and also on my buddy's HD Softail Slim, stating that the bobber's seat set-up tilts my hips forward which takes the load off my lower back.

so just as a point of reference, i'm 6' tall with a 36" inseam. i've taken the seat and slid it all the way back. i've also stuck a couple of washers (to act like a shim) between the seat tongue and the frame, which changed the seat angle a little. to accommodate my long legs, i plan to stick a 1" or maybe 2" block of solid polyurethane between the seat and the tongue to raise the seat height.

my take is, a "body" that has back issues are specific to an individual and need to be addressed on an individual basis. ride you bike to a physical therapist, or chrio, or your favorite doc, and let him look at your set-up and guide to what would work best for your body's back issue

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I occasionally have lower back issues, along with knee and ankle problems too (all the result of motorcycle accidents in my youth). For me the solution was higher bars, footboards, Wilbers shock and my sprung seat. Now I'm all set at my Bobber is about as comfortable as I think it's going to get.

Cheerio and good luck,

Roy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts