Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researched awhile surfing different brands, bikes, lot's of review videos... Stopped in here about a year ago and would check in every few weeks on different builds. I recognized the Bonneville name from my childhood and riding a bike that wasn't a Harley sounded good because of all the M8 sump problems I heard and read about. Love all the hate this bike got from the custom crowd but gotta say I appreciate the look more than anything I've seen being built. Planning on doing a custom 2-1 pipe sometime after I recover from the initial investment and down payment and will get some brass bits on it to get a more vintage look at some point. As of now just waiting for the 2020 Black model to get to my stealership in November.

Heard the matte paint job was harder to take care of then gloss but only by proxy, does an owner have direct input for me?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the site. I had my standard Bobber painted Khaki Matte Green before taking delivery and I found the matte finish to be easy to maintain. I bought matte motorcycle wash and detailing spray and both helped me maintain a great finish on my baby with no issues. The only concern is that IF you scratch the matte finish it won't buff out without ruining the finish. My new tank will not have a matte finish, and I'm looking forward to being able to polish it up when needed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Shiny here also. I saw a couple of matte finish bikes at the dealership shop when I was deciding. Made my decision instantly. Glossy is much easier to maintain/repair. YMMV.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a choice of gloss or matte at the dealership I bought mine from. Loved the look of the matte, but in my Ducati with matte paint, if I even looked at it wrong, it would scratch and smudge. I’m happy with the gloss.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had heard from some bird **** can even damage the finish of matte on cars but didn't have info for triumphs paint in particular. Thanks for the welcomes and the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
I had a matte finish on my previous bike (Guzzi Stelvio), it needed no care at all, I sometimes washed it as often as once every two years....:grin2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to wait for a 2020 to get in stock , took longer than I expected but road it home today. Instead of just drooling over the ones I see and speaking theoretically I have one to call my own and start modding according to plans. Saved a few bucks going the gloss route but really liked the new Ironstone as well.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts