Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted an auxiliary power socket to charge a mobile phone?
if so, what did you fit, where is the best place and how did you wire it in

thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Has anyone fitted an auxiliary power socket to charge a mobile phone?
if so, what did you fit, where is the best place and how did you wire it in

thanks
Triumph offer a din socket that mounts neatly under the fuel tank. I have it and use it frequently to charge my one along with other things.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I found a dual USB power socket with a SAE connector that plugs right into factory SAE charger connector behind the left side panel. They also make a single USB version with a voltage meter. Link is below to the dual version. It also has a power button. I mounted it on the left side of the handlebar. I originally had it mounted on the right but I preferred my phone mount on the right as it felt more natural when using the GPS.

Dual USB Power Socket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7PB63T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
For me, with clip-ons, there aint no real-estate on the bars to mount any accessories. I installed this gizmo in a discreet location here. 2 x USB ports and a 12V socket for trickle charging. It also has an LED voltmeter. I spliced in behind the fuse block and rated it at 7Amps.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me, with clip-ons, there aint no real-estate on the bars to mount any accessories. I installed this gizmo in a discreet location here. 2 x USB ports and a 12V socket for trickle charging. It also has an LED voltmeter. I spliced in behind the fuse block and rated it at 7Amps.

Very clean and cool position for that. Where do you you get them. Can you post an tutorial? Cya Tom

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
The auxiliary/USB unit you can purchase off Ebay. or Amazon. There are many versions on-line and mine came with a flat plate, so recommend you choose one similar. 12volts auxilliary + USB

Without going into detailed specifics, there's no real rocket science for installing. I used one of the two engine case posts to mount the unit with a suitable spacer/riser and secured the plate with flat head Allen head screw. The black blanking caps simply unscrew in your fingers.

As for wiring, ............run the black wire to the frame screw. Shorten the lead to suit, it's too long. I made up a new terminal and black heat shrinked over the wire for neatness. For the hot side and the red wire with the fuse, run that around the underside of the air-box and come in from behind the fuse block. Pop off the fuse block and locate the two heavy gauge light brown wires which are the main power battery supply wires for your bike. We need to splice in here and my choice was to use a T-tap crimp connector like this T-Crimp connectors from your local auto electrical retailer. Makes the job easier without the necessity of compromising critical harness wiring by cutting.

That's about all there is to it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I omitted to mention, we only need to 'break' into one of those brown wires, take your pick as they both feed back to the main battery fuse.

The T-Connectors are colour coded for wire gauge. Yellow (the largest) is for 10-12AWG and that's what you'll need. They're only a bout a $ each, better economy to buy a utility box of mixed for 5-10 dollars if you can't source one locally. My local electronics store has 5 packs for $4.00 and having a terminal/lug crimping tool handy would be an advantage too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I would prefer to use the factory unit
Where are the fixing points for this? and where does it connect
a photo would be great if its not too much trouble, thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
I found a duel USB power setup with a cylinder housing and a handlebar mount. I purchased an 8" USB cord that goes from my phone to the power unit. Very slick. I have apes on my Bobber, so plenty of adjustable mounting points. The phone is high where I can see it, so doubles as a GPS.

One wire on the frame, another wire to the battery. I ran the wires with all the other wires and then under the tank, and down to the battery box. My SAE connector acts as power supply for other things, such as heated gear - when not plugged into a battery tender.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely yes, that's what I use on the Bobber.

Chico
To make it clear, so can use that and plug it on my oem AUX SOCKET? Because i get my mixed answers, thats why im asking here on the bobber forum ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
To make it clear, so can use that and plug it on my oem AUX SOCKET? Because i get my mixed answers, thats why im asking here on the bobber forum ;)

If you are talking about using the AUX socket to plug in your charger to maintain your battery, It should work as long as your AUX socket isn't ignition switched, or if it has a ridiculously small fuse. That charger only puts out 750 mA (.75 Amps) and I think the smallest fuse I've come across in an aftermarket AUX socket was 2.5 Amps, so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are talking about using the AUX socket to plug in your charger to maintain your battery, It should work as long as your AUX socket isn't ignition switched, or if it has a ridiculously small fuse. That charger only puts out 750 mA (.75 Amps) and I think the smallest fuse I've come across in an aftermarket AUX socket was 2.5 Amps, so you should be good to go.
Got it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts