Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A saw. A spanner. A screwdriver. Each tool limited to a specific task - we don't try to cut wood with the screwdriver because we accept that it wasn't designed to do that. It's got me thinking though, why do we try to get our Bobbers to go faster, travel further, carry more, stop quicker, lean better, illuminate brighter, sound louder, ride smoother, more comfortable and so on? Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
A saw. A spanner. A screwdriver. Each tool limited to a specific task - we don't try to cut wood with the screwdriver because we accept that it wasn't designed to do that. It's got me thinking though, why do we try to get our Bobbers to go faster, travel further, carry more, stop quicker, lean better, illuminate brighter, sound louder, ride smoother, more comfortable and so on? Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!

You make a good point.

The only thing I'm looking to do with my Bobber 'is get it home'..!

Nine days since I ordered it and I'm chomping at the bit.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Definitely not expecting too much. But there is certainly a great deal of satisfaction in making the bike “mine”. Which for me & my Bobber means smoother, more comfortable, as little chrome as possible and to be seen better (led light).
For others, it may mean making it into a tourer or daily commute bike - and that is great too as they can make the bike theirs. I say go for it!

My bike still remains humble & true to the original (Triumph) Bobber look, but little touches like upgrades brakes, suspension and seat make it so much more pleasurable for me to ride.

In my opinion, almost every production bike built has been to a built to a budget (and emissions/sound regulations) and is therefore by default made to be changed, modified & upgraded to please its owner. Bike life would be so boring and dull otherwise.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!
I had BMW R1200SG. I had a giant BMW tool kit with all kinds of tools, a tire pump, a tire repair kit, a roadside flair kit, and a first aid kit. I never used any of that stuff. :|

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I first saw the Bobber, I was actually expecting less! The fact that the bike handles as well as it does (within the limits of the footpegs), is comfortable (to me anyway) and goes like a train defies all my preconceptions.

Triumph pretty much nailed the Bobber straight off so I didn't alter mine much at all - just a short rear mudguard, side mounted number plate, small mirror and a set of Vance and Hines (all from the Triumph catalogue). To me it looks perfect now. The stock engine performance matches the style of the bike perfectly so I'm not bothering trying to mess around with that.

All I want to do now is ride it as much as I can!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
When I first saw the Bobber, I was actually expecting less! The fact that the bike handles as well as it does (within the limits of the footpegs), is comfortable (to me anyway) and goes like a train defies all my preconceptions.
Agreed! For me I think it handles better than expected and is def comfortable. I ordered mine without having seen or sat on one back in Dec 2016. Read the reviews, and where I could, found the height/weight of the reviewers etc for size fitment, and pulled the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Agreed! For me I think it handles better than expected and is def comfortable. I ordered mine without having seen or sat on one back in Dec 2016. Read the reviews, and where I could, found the height/weight of the reviewers etc for size fitment, and pulled the trigger.
I found exactly the same thing with the Speedmaster... I had to find something with a > 90 degree knee flexion for real comfort, and to find that in a lovely handling package was unbelievable. I was expecting to have to put up with truck like handling and falling in on corners, instead I have a bike that's great around the twisties (well, so far anyway!) and can cruise way above legal without any issue...

·
Registered
509 Posts
When they build a bike that I'm happy with straight from the factory , I'll let you know. So you can buy one also. :) Until then , I'll be slowing working away to make it what I want from it. After owning 40+ bikes , I have a feeling that bike doesn't exist. :wink2:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When they build a bike that I'm happy with straight from the factory , I'll let you know. So you can buy one also. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Until then , I'll be slowing working away to make it what I want from it. After owning 40+ bikes , I have a feeling that bike doesn't exist.
I'm sure you're right ? and of course I'm also guilty of looking to make improvements having changed the exhaust , added a rack, recovered my seat and so forth. The question I originally posed though was an objective one which asks should we try and improve our bikes or accept them for what they are - put it another way, if I were looking to buy a Vincent Black Shadow, I'd probably look for a factory original and would nostalgically put any quirks or short comings down to character.

Anyway, it was just a thought but one which I found interesting - in 50 years time though my bike will be regarded as a molested example and the purists will run a mile! ??

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
In 50 years, I won’t give a f*** 0:)

But I understand exactly where you’re coming from and for that reason (and others), I keep all the original parts.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When they build a bike that I'm happy with straight from the factory , I'll let you know. So you can buy one also. :) Until then , I'll be slowing working away to make it what I want from it. After owning 40+ bikes , I have a feeling that bike doesn't exist. :wink2:
Normally I am exactly like you (except that I've only owned 20+ bikes :|) but I can't find anything that I want to do to my bobber. :frown2: In a way I am frustrated but I love this bike just like it is.

• Fox rear shock? Got that.
  • Tank pads? Nope. I tried them and took them off.
  • Side bag? I have the bag but it is not really me.
  • Pipes? The bike sounds just fine.
  • Wind screen? Don't need one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Normally I am exactly like you (except that I've only owned 20+ bikes :|) but I can't find anything that I want to do to my bobber. :frown2: In a way I am frustrated but I love this bike just like it is.

• Fox rear shock? Got that.
  • Tank pads? Nope. I tried them and took them off.
  • Side bag? I have the bag but it is not really me.
  • Pipes? The bike sounds just fine.
  • Wind screen? Don't need one.
Let's hope not , that means you've spent a lot of money. :D I set my bikes up to allow me to go out of town , but pull them back down when I'm local. The bags (which I've grown accustomed to already....please help...) can be off and on the shelf in 20 minutes. I do have the Fox shock , and I too really like the sound of the stock exhaust , even though an x-pipe might be in my future. I wouldn't might slightly more rumble. I'm against a screen , but typically have something for longer rides (Days , not hours) just to provide a little break from the wind.

Remember too , I'm making some of these changes based on getting it more suited to my height. I actually really like the taller bars , but if I was 5'8" , absolutely not. Right now I'm enjoying the ride , one 5.00 fill up at a time. :wink2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's kind of nice not to 'have' to customize due to the looks, sound, and performance. With the exception of putting a Thunderbird horn on, swing arm bag and gas cap, it's been stock for a year. While I like it the way it is, I feel weird not doing things to it, as all the other bikes definitely 'needed' something. New pipes sound good, but not essential.

Odd feeling, but comforting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts