Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps,

Okay so with the modding bug in full swing I’m considering having the Motone decay fitted but first a couple of questions...

Is it really worth it in terms of sound and performance? I currently have the V&H’s silencers and I am for the most part very happy with them.

Secondly... what should I expect to pay to have the decat fitted?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I also have the V&H EU spec on my BB and a Motone X-Pipe on the way. If you can hold off for 10 days or so I'll t elk you if I think it was worth it. I'm in Thailand so about costs to fit are incredibly cheap. However I have a very experienced bike mechanic on stand-by to fit it for me so can tell you how long it takes him. From that I guess you will be able to work out a cost for yourself in the UK.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have the V&H EU spec on my BB and a Motone X-Pipe on the way. If you can hold off for 10 days or so I'll t elk you if I think it was worth it. I'm in Thailand so about costs to fit are incredibly cheap. However I have a very experienced bike mechanic on stand-by to fit it for me so can tell you how long it takes him. From that I guess you will be able to work out a cost for yourself in the UK.
Cheers Freddy that’s very kind of you :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have the BC shotgun straight thru's fitted and have retained the Cat, i was intending on getting rid of it as well, but over the past year an a half i think it's just on the good side of being not quite obnoxiously loud, with the x-pipe in place it might be just too much (death threats from the neighbours as i fire it up to get it out of the back garden at 0530, then again when i'm going to leave lol)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi Mike, there's loads of videos online, it's a fiddly job but not a hard one! But I'm with Ethariel if you don't want your Bobber super loud then just go with the pipes it's a much easier swap and you get to save the planet too :grin2:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't think for 1 second that my V&H pipes and decat is excessively loud. In fact, very tame, when not on the throttle. Tame enough to ride through the neighborhood without feeling guilty. With aggressive throttle, then yes the sound opens up, but NOTHING like my Harley 48 with V&H which was loud at idle and throttle.

BTW, I followed TEC's video and was able to complete the job myself in about 2 hours. I would think an experienced bike mechanic can do it in less than 1.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I don't think for 1 second that my V&H pipes and decat is excessively loud. In fact, very tame, when not on the throttle. Tame enough to ride through the neighborhood without feeling guilty. With aggressive throttle, then yes the sound opens up, but NOTHING like my Harley 48 with V&H which was loud at idle and throttle.

BTW, I followed TEC's video and was able to complete the job myself in about 2 hours. I would think an experienced bike mechanic can do it in less than 1.5 hours.
I agree completely. It's the same way with my Gassers exhaust and x-pipe fitted. Low rumble, but nothing to rile up the neighbors, then crack the throttle on a main road and watch the heads snap around...lol

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes...

Motorcycle emissions are not checked on a U.K. MOT.0:)
Oh really? I’ve never had anything but new bikes and have never had them for more than three years, i.e. at the point of them needing an MOT. I just assumed a motorbike would need an emissions test the same as a car?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes...

Motorcycle emissions are not checked on a U.K. MOT.0:)
Emissions are not currently checked yes, but seeing how the gubbermint are now tightening up on cars where the emissions equipment has been removed (cats and dpf filters for example) I can see this being an issue in the future. If you take a cat off I wouldn't throw it away.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No emissions test but if no BS Stamp on the pipes it can be a fail (depends on how tight the testers are), good news is it's a 10min job to switch the std cans back on

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mike J Como. As promised.

The Motone X-pipe was fitted yesterday. I did the 12 minute Tune immediately afterwards.
So, coupled with the U.K. Spec V&H I like the sound. It's not really loud but I didn't want that as I find it fatiguing after a while.
It's a lot deeper sound, more of a growl but no raspiness. Sounds like a bike should. Performance wise I'd say that the throttle is more responsive but I didn't notice increased power. However, im not a fast rider and just like cruising around. Overall it just sounds nicer and more beefy throughout the rev range with a subtle but deep rumble on idle.
Would I do it again, definitely although I would do it in the other order just to see what the X-Pipes sounds like with the stock pipes as despite the many videos about I think it's difficult to get an accurate sound perception that way. Possible saving on the pipes if you go that way and I may have been happy with that. New bike and I just got carried away.
The Motone X-Pipe seems to be of excellent quality, fitted easily and perfectly once the access was gained. If you go with one and watch the Motone / Stuart Fillingham video be aware that you don't need to move the tank back as the top frame rail bolt is exposed on the bobber and his video is on the T100 or T120. Other than that though it is accurate.
I would imagine the TEC and the Free Spirits X-Pipe are of similar quality although I think the Free Spirits is ridiculously priced and find it hard to work out what more it provides for the additional £80-100. I went with the Motone because I've had other items from them and also liked the idea of the 2 half shell welds. Also the TEC was out of stock anyway but is available again now. TEC is approx £20 cheaper than the Motone.
If purchasing just make sure the pipe has all the correct mounting points as per the CAT and avoid the cheaper options that just float on the pipes. Many Thais use them because they are a lot cheaper but Triumph Thailandh are really against the fitting of X-Pipes because they got loads of warranty claims for cracked/damaged manifolds due to the vibration/movement.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike J Como. As promised.

The Motone X-pipe was fitted yesterday. I did the 12 minute Tune immediately afterwards.
So, coupled with the U.K. Spec V&H I like the sound. It's not really loud but I didn't want that as I find it fatiguing after a while.
It's a lot deeper sound, more of a growl but no raspiness. Sounds like a bike should. Performance wise I'd say that the throttle is more responsive but I didn't notice increased power. However, im not a fast rider and just like cruising around. Overall it just sounds nicer and more beefy throughout the rev range with a subtle but deep rumble on idle.
Would I do it again, definitely although I would do it in the other order just to see what the X-Pipes sounds like with the stock pipes as despite the many videos about I think it's difficult to get an accurate sound perception that way. Possible saving on the pipes if you go that way and I may have been happy with that. New bike and I just got carried away.
The Motone X-Pipe seems to be of excellent quality, fitted easily and perfectly once the access was gained. If you go with one and watch the Motone / Stuart Fillingham video be aware that you don't need to move the tank back as the top frame rail bolt is exposed on the bobber and his video is on the T100 or T120. Other than that though it is accurate.
I would imagine the TEC and the Free Spirits X-Pipe are of similar quality although I think the Free Spirits is ridiculously priced and find it hard to work out what more it provides for the additional £80-100. I went with the Motone because I've had other items from them and also liked the idea of the 2 half shell welds. Also the TEC was out of stock anyway but is available again now. TEC is approx £20 cheaper than the Motone.
If purchasing just make sure the pipe has all the correct mounting points as per the CAT and avoid the cheaper options that just float on the pipes. Many Thais use them because they are a lot cheaper but Triumph Thailandh are really against the fitting of X-Pipes because they got loads of warranty claims for cracked/damaged manifolds due to the vibration/movement.
Thanks for sharing your findings Freddy... I was holding off till hearing how you got on because we of course have the same V&H pipes.

So if I understand correctly... there is a noticeable and positive increase to both the volume and sound quality without losing the refined aspect and you would recommend the final outcome?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Noticeable but not large increase in volume. Significant improvement in the sound quality. The sound is deeper and just sounds stronger. Very hard to describe as people perceive sound in different ways. Best I can say is that the sound of the bike now matches it's look. Low, deep and purposeful. I went to a local bar after fitting for lunch and a juice. Full of Ex-Pats. Many came out front to see what the bike was that arrived so I'd say that's a good sign. I backed up to the open bar front so I guess the exhaust sound was bouncing through into the room. The road is much lower than the bar floor so they couldn't see the bike only hear it. I've been there before on the bike and those at the front admired it but those in the back didn't acknowledge the sound.

I went out again today and opened it up a bit doing lots of down shifting. It sounds really good.
I in no way feel I've wasted my money and would absolutely do it again.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Noticeable but not large increase in volume. Significant improvement in the sound quality. The sound is deeper and just sounds stronger. Very hard to describe as people perceive sound in different ways. Best I can say is that the sound of the bike now matches it's look. Low, deep and purposeful. I went to a local bar after fitting for lunch and a juice. Full of Ex-Pats. Many came out front to see what the bike was that arrived so I'd say that's a good sign. I backed up to the open bar front so I guess the exhaust sound was bouncing through into the room. The road is much lower than the bar floor so they couldn't see the bike only hear it. I've been there before on the bike and those at the front admired it but those in the back didn't acknowledge the sound.

I went out again today and opened it up a bit doing lots of down shifting. It sounds really good.
I in no way feel I've wasted my money and would absolutely do it again.

That’s great thanks Freddy... looks like Motone will be getting more of my money soon ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts