Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Marty ,,, that's what I would like but I can't find it on the Triumph website. I found this riser under "styling". It looks just to be a straight one inch riser. Where did you find the one inch up and over riser? That would be ideal.

one inch riser: Riser Kit, Black, Pinned
thanks for the help

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The easiest appointment I could get is July 29th. In the meantime I can get the Cobra White Walls installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loving my apes. Very comfortable riding position. You might duck the wind a bit more with the stock flat bars, but that is really only at speed. I'm 5'8" and find them to be a welcome change.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm 5' 10" - my bike came with apes installed. To me it felt like I was reaching a bit too far forward to get the grips. So, like one other poster I drilled new holes that moved the bars back a few inches and it's perfect. I added the forward controls to relax my legs, and pulled the seat back (I have a 30" inseam) and now it feels like a proper cruiser.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 5' 10" - my bike came with apes installed. To me it felt like I was reaching a bit too far forward to get the grips. So, like one other poster I drilled new holes that moved the bars back a few inches and it's perfect. I added the forward controls to relax my legs, and pulled the seat back (I have a 30" inseam) and now it feels like a proper cruiser.

View attachment 44544
I also added forward controls, feels so natural to me, My last two bikes were Harleys

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I ordered the one inch up and over from AJ Cycles. Fast response as it was shipped out on the weekend. I should have got the brass steering stem nut as it would look great with my Motone brass gas cap

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6ft I just installed my apes last night. Reading this thread is what made me get them. What a huge difference they make. The stock low bars were fun and more sporty feeling, but on longer rides killed my lower back. I set the apes where I wanted them with the stock risers and marked them, then tried the pinned risers and where the pins were located is exactly where I had set them on the stock risers, so I did not modify the pins to change the bar position. After a short test ride I will never consider going back to the stock bars. Everything about the apes are awesome, I feel a lot more comfortable in my seated position, more control due to not having so much weight on my arms. The bike feels more like apart of me when I'm riding it now. One thing I did choose to do was run the wiring thru the bars instead of strapped to the outside. Took a few more hours to install but the end result is well worth it IMO. I say if you are considering getting them, do it! Its an easy DIY job to so you can save money not having the shop do it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm 6ft I just installed my apes last night. Reading this thread is what made me get them. What a huge difference they make. The stock low bars were fun and more sporty feeling, but on longer rides killed my lower back. I set the apes where I wanted them with the stock risers and marked them, then tried the pinned risers and where the pins were located is exactly where I had set them on the stock risers, so I did not modify the pins to change the bar position. After a short test ride I will never consider going back to the stock bars. Everything about the apes are awesome, I feel a lot more comfortable in my seated position, more control due to not having so much weight on my arms. The bike feels more like apart of me when I'm riding it now. One thing I did choose to do was run the wiring thru the bars instead of strapped to the outside. Took a few more hours to install but the end result is well worth it IMO. I say if you are considering getting them, do it! Its an easy DIY job to so you can save money not having the shop do it. View attachment 44707 View attachment 44708
I took a ride yesterday on an apes equipped Bobber and found it to be the exact opposite of what you’ve stated. I don’t mean to be contrary. It’s probably because I come from a sports bike background that I much prefer the more leant forward position of the stock flat bars. It suits my style of riding. I can attack bends much better with them. I also found that apes reduced my motorway speed tolerance by about 10 - 15mph.

I can appreciate that apes look cool and are more suited to a sedate cruising riding style but flat bars let me exploit the decent handling of the Bobber better.

As the saying goes, each to their own, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I broke down and ordered the brass steering stem nut from AJ. It will look great with the red tank and I already have their brass gas cap.
My appointment to install is July 29 so still some waiting to gl

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took a ride yesterday on an apes equipped Bobber and found it to be the exact opposite of what you’ve stated. I don’t mean to be contrary. It’s probably because I come from a sports bike background that I much prefer the more leant forward position of the stock flat bars. It suits my style of riding. I can attack bends much better with them. I also found that apes reduced my motorway speed tolerance by about 10 - 15mph.

I can appreciate that apes look cool and are more suited to a sedate cruising riding style but flat bars let me exploit the decent handling of the Bobber better.

As the saying goes, each to their own, etc.
I really liked the stock bars its initially what drew me to the bobber. Very sporty stance and more aggressive riding position. Being a bigger guy I found the apes a little more comfy. And if someone is looking for an alternative set of bars over the stock due to comfort, i would recommend the mini apes 100% if they want that sporty feel and more aggressive stance then the apes would not be the choice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 6ft I just installed my apes last night. Reading this thread is what made me get them. What a huge difference they make. The stock low bars were fun and more sporty feeling, but on longer rides killed my lower back. I set the apes where I wanted them with the stock risers and marked them, then tried the pinned risers and where the pins were located is exactly where I had set them on the stock risers, so I did not modify the pins to change the bar position. After a short test ride I will never consider going back to the stock bars. Everything about the apes are awesome, I feel a lot more comfortable in my seated position, more control due to not having so much weight on my arms. The bike feels more like apart of me when I'm riding it now. One thing I did choose to do was run the wiring thru the bars instead of strapped to the outside. Took a few more hours to install but the end result is well worth it IMO. I say if you are considering getting them, do it! Its an easy DIY job to so you can save money not having the shop do it. View attachment 44707 View attachment 44708
How do you run the cable through the bars? I was going to get dealer to do mine, but I think I will try.

how do you bleed the brakes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you run the cable through the bars? I was going to get dealer to do mine, but I think I will try.

how do you bleed the brakes?
Once I had everything mocked up the way triumph intended with the wires strapped to the outside. I taped off the bars with masking tape and marked where to drill the holes. I took everything back apart and drilled 5/8" holes into the bars in 4 places, one hole next to each lever housing. And one hole on the inside of where each riser would be. Then sanded and filed the holes smooth so they wouldn't snag or cut the wires.

I then had to depin the 3 big plug connectors. 2 grey plugs and one black. The small white ones fit thru the holes. Pulled the wiring thru and repinned the plugs.

Ran the wires down thru the hole between the triple clamps and the speedometer. And plugged it all back in.

This all took about an additional 4-5 hours just taking my time and planning but the end result is well worth it IMO.

This was before cleaning up and filing the hole smooth.

Drilled holes in these locations.
This was with the clutch side wire already ran thru.

Took pictures of each plug from both sides and made notes of what order the wires go back into the plug.

Ran the wires thru the small gap between the triple clamps and the speedo.

End result.

I just wrote up how I bled the front brake without the dealertool. In the brake bleeding section.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Once I had everything mocked up the way triumph intended with the wires strapped to the outside. I taped off the bars with masking tape and marked where to drill the holes. I took everything back apart and drilled 5/8" holes into the bars in 4 places, one hole next to each lever housing. And one hole on the inside of where each riser would be. Then sanded and filed the holes smooth so they wouldn't snag or cut the wires.

I then had to depin the 3 big plug connectors. 2 grey plus and one black. The small white ones fit thru the holes. Pulled the wiring thru and repinned the plugs.

Ran the wires down thru the hole between the triple clamps and the speedometer. And plugged it all back in.

This all took about an additional 4-5 hours just taking my time and planning but the end result is well worth it IMO.

This was before cleaning up and filing the hole smooth.
View attachment 44740

Drilled holes in these locations.
This was with the brake side wire already ran thru.
View attachment 44741

Took pictures of each plug from both side and made notes of what order the wires go back into the plug.
View attachment 44742

Ran the wires thru the small gap between the triple clamps and the speedo.
View attachment 44743

End result.
View attachment 44745
View attachment 44746

I just wrote up how I bled the front brake without the dealertool. In the brake bleeding section.
Thanks this info is super helpful, massive thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Psychopasta It was very intimidating at first. But after taking pictures and realizing everything can only be plugged in one way its not bad at all. Just making sure the the wires go back in the plug the correct way and order is very important.

Depinning the connectors was easier than I thought it would be.

Found a very similar connector. Works exactly the same.
Pull the white tab out on the side using a small needle or pick.

Grab the black plastic cap with some pliers and wiggle and pull it off.

Using something small like a needle push the plastic "lever" that locks the pins into place away from the pins and from the top push them down and out the bottom.

Putting them back is even easier. Just slide the pin back up thru the plug and it will click into place. Reinstall black cap and push white lock back into place. And done.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts