Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have switched from stock bars to the apes, does it move your hand position further forward ?
I can't tell from looking at the photos. A trip to the dealer showed they had sold the last one in stock with the Apes on it.

I love the bike and it fits me well but I am thinking of making a change.

I'm 5' 5" with the short arms that go with the height. I know the bars are pinned in place so there is no adjustment forwards or back.

Does anyone have any experience to share ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Not sure with what you mean moving hand position further forward, but I switched from stock to apes and my experience is more of a relaxed riding position, more upright, I am similar height as you, and find the apes to be very comfortable, I would not go back to stock. Just my opinion am sure others will chime in, I do know some peeps have removed the pins to bring the bars closer to the body am sure someone will talk to that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't want the reach to the bars to be increased. A more upright riding position like you described is what I want

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m just wondering = apes look pretty cool but what is it about them that makes the ride more comfortable? I’m probably wrong but don’t they put more weight on the small of your back? I’m imagining that any bumps or potholes in the road will result in increased jarring to the back (particularly during spirited riding).
Also, I can’t imagine that comfort at motorway speeds (and higher) is improved by apes.

As I say, I’m probably wrong about this and apologies if I am.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They stop me from having to lean forward. That slight lean I had with the low bars killed my back.
Wind is not a terrible issue. I so have a pirhana classic to cut it down a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fitted the Biltwell Chump bars which are very similar to the mini apes but slightly shorter. As they were generic bar it let me pick the exact angle I wanted them fitted as I had to drill the holes myself. That being said I went for a fairly vertical set up similar to how the mini apes fit because it felt the most natural. Could be an option though if you're concerned about the angle.

In terms of comfort on lower back there is 0% difference from the stock bars. My back angle is still the same as my arms slightly bend as the bars are closer rather than straight but I can still put the same weight through the bars. Personally I find it more comfortable as I'm 6" so there is more room between hands and knees.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I fitted the Biltwell Chump bars which are very similar to the mini apes but slightly shorter. As they were generic bar it let me pick the exact angle I wanted them fitted as I had to drill the holes myself. That being said I went for a fairly vertical set up similar to how the mini apes fit because it felt the most natural. Could be an option though if you're concerned about the angle.

In terms of comfort on lower back there is 0% difference from the stock bars. My back angle is still the same as my arms slightly bend as the bars are closer rather than straight but I can still put the same weight through the bars. Personally I find it more comfortable as I'm 6" so there is more room between hands and knees.
Thanks for the info. My only experience of ape hangers was a quick shot on a modified Harley with sky-high apes and forward controls. Coupled with a ridiculous air filter that caused my left knee to jut out, it was by far the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden.

The Bobber apes look more manageable - I'll maybe give them a go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will order them today... thanks for the "real world" experience. I was looking at what is available on the market as a replacement bike and there is nothing I would like rather than keeping the bobber. I usually change every two years but his one is a keeper. I think I'll spend a little money on it for a new look

Awesome bike

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am 6'1" so taller than most who have posted. I immediately added the Apes and what Triumph refers tp as forward controls, but really are just slightly forward. The increased comfort is amazing. First it takes the stress off you UPPER back. Without the apes I had pain between my shoulder blades and between. This totally eliminates that. I have done this to all of my motorcycles. It also takes the weight off of my wrists. I found no change whatsoever in handling.

·
Registered
41 Posts

The Biltwell Chumps for reference. I actually had the bike for a couple years and put on around 6000 miles before switching and overall the feel isn't that much different so the main benefit is aesthetics. Next time you're on the bike if you move your hands above the bars a few inches you get a pretty good idea of what its going to be like.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I’m 5’-8” and I have 16” apes on mine. Love them. Puts my riding position very upright and feels great on the back. When I bought the bike it had the stock bars on it. I switched out to the mini apes and still wasn’t happy. The 16” bars are perfect in my opinion. Puts your hands right about shoulder height. Maybe slightly higher.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
This is a side shot of me on my Bobber a few days after I took delivery a couple of years ago. I'm 5'8".

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those that have switched from stock bars to the apes, does it move your hand position further forward ?
I can't tell from looking at the photos. A trip to the dealer showed they had sold the last one in stock with the Apes on it.

I'm 5' 5" with the short arms that go with the height. I know the bars are pinned in place so there is no adjustment forwards or back.

thanks
This is a side shot of me on my Bobber a few days after I took delivery a couple of years ago. I'm 5'8".

View attachment 44445

·
Registered
10 Posts

thanks
I had the same reach problem, If you get the apes with standard riser it has an anti rotation stud built in you can use your stock risers or get the 1 inch up and over riser like I did and you can position the bars where ever you feel comfortable

1 - 20 of 40 Posts