Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, maybe we can put some names to faces at some point in the new year.

Anyhow, I'm going to be changing my Triumph ape hangers for the stock drag bars, mainly due to handling, I fancy the change. I can't help but prefer being on top of handlebars than below, hard to explain, I just feel more comfortable. I miss the positioning of my T100 a little. No doubt, the apes look awesome, and totally suit the Bobber, but in the words of Bob Dylan, times they are a changin'.

I will be selling the apes with the high bar cable kit, so if anyone in the UK is interested, let me know, I can put them to the side for you. I'd like £200 (including P&P). Most likely available over the next few weeks, say end of Jan the very latest :smile2:

Black, like new, ridden for a few months, never seen rain. Pics below are of my Bobber.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have alternative bars that are between drag and mini apes? I'm tempted to get Motone risers for stock bars, but would like to try something different. Maybe Biltwell Keystone or Frisco?

Any suggestions and experiences with different handlebars including pics, would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Matt,
I've got the Motone risers with the stock bars and they make a good difference without needing the high bar cable kit. See attached photos. I'm happy with this but have been thinking about getting hold of a set of ape hangers and modifying them into something original (I would still need the high bar kit) to complement the short rear mudguard conversion I've just done while the bike is garaged for the winter. Motone risers only fitted for a few months this summer. If you want to go with the Motones let me know and maybe we could agree a part ex deal for my risers against your bars and high bar cable kit?

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,
I've got the Motone risers with the stock bars and they make a good difference without needing the high bar cable kit. See attached photos. I'm happy with this but have been thinking about getting hold of a set of ape hangers and modifying them into something original (I would still need the high bar kit) to complement the short rear mudguard conversion I've just done while the bike is garaged for the winter. Motone risers only fitted for a few months this summer. If you want to go with the Motones let me know and maybe we could agree a part ex deal for my risers against your bars and high bar cable kit?

Cheers
Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for this. You know I may take you up on this offer, I'm swapping the bars over on Monday, I'll see how I get on without risers, but I'll let you know mid week, is that ok? How are the Motone risers condition wise and do you have the black clamp to go with them? Also, how much would you be willing to offer alongside the risers?

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Mark, thanks for this. You know I may take you up on this offer, I'm swapping the bars over on Monday, I'll see how I get on without risers, but I'll let you know mid week, is that ok? How are the Motone risers condition wise and do you have the black clamp to go with them? Also, how much would you be willing to offer alongside the risers?

Cheers,

Matt
Hi Matt,
No rush, bike will be garaged until March/April time. Risers are like new, still on the bike but I have the original packaging box. The risers have individual clamps, which are black same as the risers. What about my Motones plus £100

Mark

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkArbroath said:
Hi Matt,
No rush, bike will be garaged until March/April time. Risers are like new, still on the bike but I have the original packaging box. The risers have individual clamps, which are black same as the risers. What about my Motones plus £100

Mark
Sounds good Mark, I'm happy with that. I'll get in touch in the week.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For Sale - Ape Hangers Now Available

Hi all,

I've changed my bars, so the Triumph Ape Hangers & High Bar Cable Kit are now available.

1 x Clutch Cable
1 x Brake Hose
3 x Electrical Harness Extensions
1 x Triumph High Handlebars
2 x Rubber Cable Tidy's

I don't have the firmer bushings I'm afraid, but I'm positive these can be sourced from Triumph for a few quid. Can still be fitted with standard bushings, but there will be a little play in the bars.

Asking for £175 including P&P, which is a fair price. Any questions, ping me a PM or reply in this thread.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
@unparalleledtwin - just a thought, but you may want to source the firmer risers to go along with the Motones. There has been mixed reviews on whether the Motones allow play in the bars. Some don't have an issue, some do. I had a very large amount of play in mine so subsequently returned them (before learning that firmer bushings were available).

I wonder if from the factory if Triumph used different bushing stiffness-es randomly or something. I wonder this because as I said, some reported 0 back and forth play and didn't change the bushings (I was/am jealous).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@unparalleledtwin - just a thought, but you may want to source the firmer risers to go along with the Motones. There has been mixed reviews on whether the Motones allow play in the bars. Some don't have an issue, some do. I had a very large amount of play in mine so subsequently returned them (before learning that firmer bushings were available).

I wonder if from the factory if Triumph used different bushing stiffness-es randomly or something. I wonder this because as I said, some reported 0 back and forth play and didn't change the bushings (I was/am jealous).
Cheers for this bud, appreciate you giving me the heads up. I had read this when looking into the Motone risers. However, I don't believe I'll be getting them now, as I'm really satisfied with the stock drag bars. If I ever do long distance trips, I may invest, but we'll see.

·
Registered
59 Posts

MuensterDeath, I never had any issues with play in the bars at any time when I have had the Motones fitted. Wonder if the issue could be to do with which washers you fitted, whether you kept the original small washers on top of the bushings, or even the torque setting? The profile on the bottom of the Motones is flat whereas the original risers are profiled to use the small washer.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
MuensterDeath, I never had any issues with play in the bars at any time when I have had the Motones fitted. Wonder if the issue could be to do with which washers you fitted, whether you kept the original small washers on top of the bushings, or even the torque setting? The profile on the bottom of the Motones is flat whereas the original risers are profiled to use the small washer.
I tried all variations of hardware I had bro. Nothing worked. It was down to the bushing stiffness. (in my opinion).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, maybe we can put some names to faces at some point in the new year.

Anyhow, I'm going to be changing my Triumph ape hangers for the stock drag bars, mainly due to handling, I fancy the change. I can't help but prefer being on top of handlebars than below, hard to explain, I just feel more comfortable. I miss the positioning of my T100 a little. No doubt, the apes look awesome, and totally suit the Bobber, but in the words of Bob Dylan, times they are a changin'.

I will be selling the apes with the high bar cable kit, so if anyone in the UK is interested, let me know, I can put them to the side for you. I'd like £200 (including P&P). Most likely available over the next few weeks, say end of Jan the very latest :smile2:

Black, like new, ridden for a few months, never seen rain. Pics below are of my Bobber.

Cheers,

Matt

I really enjoy those wraps on your grip. Would you mind divulging where you picked those up? For Science, of course!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Amazon carries them. I have the same ones.

What is the name? I've wanted to get something similar for a while, but most are line with double sided tape and here in the South the heat can get so extreme that you can move your Triumph logo with a finger. Having something wrapped on the most important portion of stability with double sided tape makes me a tad-bit nervous.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amazon carries them. I have the same ones.

What is the name? I've wanted to get something similar for a while, but most are line with double sided tape and here in the South the heat can get so extreme that you can move your Triumph logo with a finger. Having something wrapped on the most important portion of stability with double sided tape makes me a tad-bit nervous.
I purchased the leather grip wrap from Trip Machine Company, great value for money and appears to be hard wearing. It does have double sided 3M tape as an adhesive, so whether this will be affected in the heat I'm not too sure. I believe a member on here confirmed that with heated grips, it doesn't affect the leather.

I purchased clear Mammoth tape to finish off mine, as it's a much stronger adhesive. You shouldn't have any problems, I feel it'll last many years. Ping Trip Machine Company an email, they'll sort you out.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts