Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.

That clamp you speak of has caused a lot of grief for many i.e. chafing the clutch cable to the point of replacement under warranty. Many have removed it with no issues so carry on. :smile2:
PS: do not tie the clutch cable to any wiring.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I am one of those that removed it as it was roughing up the clutch cable.

I think the one on the Bobber Black doesn't present such an issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.
I will need to remember this and give them a call to ask. I'll head to the dealer late summer to get the V&H tune, and see if they can't address it then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m going to leave it off then. It didn’t seem to do anything anyway in terms of support or guiding the cable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No recall in Canada. I just remove mine. I sent to pictures to the nearest dealer (8 hours away) of my chaffed clutch cable and they ordered a new one. I will be bringing it in for it annual service they will install it then.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Clutch cable replaced 2 weeks or so ago, bracket left on by dealer - cable chafed again, annual service on 14th, 2nd new cable coming up :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts