Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To help with oiling the chain and to keep the bike upright over winter I decided to fit the factory paddock stand bobbins to my bobber. They do look great but their low position under the bobber’s rear axle means when you put the paddock stand in it’s not in that much of a mechanically advantageous position and so takes some real muscle to get the rear end off the ground. Maybe the arm on my paddock stand’s too short I don’t know but I’ve never had to put so much effort in the get a bikes rear wheel off the ground. The other thing I don’t like is the stands that work with bobbins are all fitted with metal hooks that scratch the black bobbins. Has anyone else had experience of this? What do you think do I need to eat more spinach, do I need a new paddock stand, or should I ditch the factory bobbins for something like TECS solution (made for the Street Twin but also fits the Bobber) which should give me more leverage?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
To help with oiling the chain and to keep the bike upright over winter I decided to fit the factory paddock stand bobbins to my bobber. They do look great but their low position under the bobber’s rear axle means when you put the paddock stand in it’s not in that much of a mechanically advantageous position and so takes some real muscle to get the rear end off the ground. Maybe the arm on my paddock stand’s too short I don’t know but I’ve never had to put so much effort in the get a bikes rear wheel off the ground. The other thing I don’t like is the stands that work with bobbins are all fitted with metal hooks that scratch the black bobbins. Has anyone else had experience of this? What do you think do I need to eat more spinach, do I need a new paddock stand, or should I ditch the factory bobbins for something like TECS solution (made for the Street Twin but also fits the Bobber) which should give me more leverage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFO4pCX1hU4
I have the Triumph Bobbins and use a Pit Bull stand with an extended handle. It does scratch the bobbins a tad, but doesn't bother me. Can't see them unless really looking.

Using just the stand to lift is a bit wobbly getting started as they are def low. Another member suggested putting a bit of 2x4 under the kick stand to stand it up a little more before using the paddock stand, which helps tremendously.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I too have the Triumph bobbins and a ´short arm´, racing style paddock stand.
It is a PITA to put it on, as there is almost no leverage at all!
So i prefer not to do it by myself, just in case.

I have not tried it with 2x4 under the stand, but sounds like a great idea & i will give it try once Bobber goes into hibernation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have them installed in aluminum from a sport touring bike and use a pitbull stand. Works great

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I think it’s the combination of the bobbins position and the short racing paddock stand that I’m using that’s making life difficult. I’m going to give Tech’s bobbins ago that fit through the rear axle, which should give me more leverage. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to buy a new stand.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitted the Tech bobbins today, they look great and work a treat. Now even with my small stand it’s an easy one man operation to get the back wheel off the ground. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tech bobbing look OK, but you can't take the back wheel out with them.
Good point...maybe I should have gone for a new paddock stand with a longer arm after all? But it’s a bit late now and I do find the Tech ones so much easier to use, and when I need to fit a new tyre I can always swap them over with the OEM bobbins, which I still have. :|

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've also got an Oxford Premium Paddock Stand, but I find it impossible to raise the bike on my own. I need someone to push the bike from the front while I put all my weight on the stand from the rear. It's all I can do to lift the bike at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F4HFT46/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried the wood under the side stand, and while it makes it easier to get it on the stand at all, the initial lift is almost impossible. And I have plenty of mass behind me too...

Now, as for the bobbins, I did see an add for Oxford Spinners today. You can get them in black and they spin on bearings, so much less likely to be scratched.
Might be worth a shot.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/oxford...KleybemwJJX5Iz4Ra2gaAlmpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
31 Posts
Now, as for the bobbins, I did see an add for Oxford Spinners today. You can get them in black and they spin on bearings, so much less likely to be scratched.
Might be worth a shot.
Hi, I have the Oxford spinners from eBay store as best price I could find, fit well, not used them yet as the UK Royal Mail 'lost' my paddock stand... probably a good deal for one on eBay...

In regards to lifting the bike, although I have not tried it yet I plan on modifying an axe handle to fit the handle of the paddock stand to give the extra leverage, will let you know if it works or if I end up with a bike on top of me... any one else tried this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had the same problem as you guys , I had the wife hold the bike upright while I struggled to get the thing up on the stand...So I bought a motorcycle scissor jack you can lift the front of the bike up with It too , one of the best tools I ever bought .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
877 Posts
Speedmaster owners beware!!!! I bought a Motea lift, and had to send it back, it wouldn't fit under the frame rail at all! The lowered height needs to be <4" and this was 4.5"

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts