Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at the new 2019 Speed Twin and absolutely love everything about it so far. Waiting on pricing, but I think this may just be the 2-seater I've been looking for.

"Powered by the liquid-cooled 1,200cc eight-valve SOHC parallel twin found in the Bonneville T120, the Speed Twin features similar tuning as the Thruxton R, producing a claimed 96 peak horsepower at 6,750 rpm—an impressive 76-percent increase over the 2018 Street Twin, and 49 percent more than the new 2019 Street Twin—and 83 pound-feet of torque at 4,950 rpm.

This revised high-performance engine features a low-inertia crank and high-compression head developed from the Thruxton R’s powerplant."

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-triumph-bonneville-speed-twin-first-look#page-4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It looks great but I would have a hard time throwing my leg over the saddle. :frown2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks-wise, it reminds me of a Honda CB1100. I’ll be keen to see how it performs particularly in the handling department.

My main bugbear with the Bobber is the ground clearance but I love the current Triumph 1200 twin. The Thruxton is a little too “scrunched” up seating position-wise for me but the Street Twin might be perfect.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Looks-wise, it reminds me of a Honda CB1100. I’ll be keen to see how it performs particularly in the handling department.

My main bugbear with the Bobber is the ground clearance but I love the current Triumph 1200 twin. The Thruxton is a little too “scrunched” up seating position-wise for me but the Street Twin might be perfect.
Don't see the resemblance.:surprise:

Chico

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slightly of your original topic but I'm also excited. The new Speed Twin will be a little to quick for me however I have seen one in Thailand and it is a beautiful bike. For me it's going to be a 2018 Tiger. I can only have 2 bikes so I think this will be the perfect compliment for my BB. I'm ready to buy but just can't decide between the XRT and the XCA.
Living in Rural Thailand there are a ton of field tracks and wooded areas to explore but nothing to demanding so the XRT would cope. However I'm trying to understand just how much if a compromise I will be making on the road handling if I went for the XCA. I'm not a fast rider so Im leaning towards the XCA as I think the compromise on road handling is smaller than the off road compromise if the XRT. Thoughts and advice welcome.

Just realized I may have high jacked the original thread. Apologies. Back to the heading. Can you tell, I'm Excited!! Jesus, do I have the bike bug!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
For sure. Interested to see it in person. It’s about 1.5-2 inches taller than the Street Twin and the foot pegs are further back (between a Street Twin and Thruxton). The new gauges and motor should be awesome adds to the Speed Twin. Also like the bar end mirrors and cosmetic changes. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
1,124 Posts
Hey Freddy, If the seat height of the XCA is good for you, I'd go for it. I don't think you lose a lot on pure road riding, and that long suspension is always welcome.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Freddy, If the seat height of the XCA is good for you, I'd go for it. I don't think you lose a lot on pure road riding, and that long suspension is always welcome.
I agree. I think on the lower seat setting I may just get away with it at 5ft 8 ( in boots) . I'm going to the dealer and will test ride both but am hoping the XCA will be the one. There is always the option to adjust the front suspension a little to bring it down whist still leaving plenty. I also prefer the styling on the XCA with the bigger beak and protection bars/steel legs etc.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The speed twin looks fantastic! Can’t wait to hear you early adopters opinions. My fz09 does the two seater duty now, but I love the look of triiumphs classics (obviously)...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I agree. I think on the lower seat setting I may just get away with it at 5ft 8 ( in boots) . I'm going to the dealer and will test ride both but am hoping the XCA will be the one. There is always the option to adjust the front suspension a little to bring it down whist still leaving plenty. I also prefer the styling on the XCA with the bigger beak and protection bars/steel legs etc.
Just so you know Freddy, if you lower the front end you also need to lower the rear end. I lowered my XRX by installing longer "dog bones" and the front gets lowered less than the rear.

Chico

·
Registered
108 Posts
Standard Bonnies, don't really do it for me. I appreciate them, but they all look kind of same-ie..I mean if it rode past me, I don't know if I could instantly tell what it was...except a bonnie that is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just so you know Freddy, if you lower the front end you also need to lower the rear end. I lowered my XRX by installing longer "dog bones" and the front gets lowered less than the rear.

Chico
Thanks Chico. I'm in Thailand and my local dealer says they make the adjustments on the XCAs for many customers as Thais generally aren't tall. I'm not sure what's involved and was going to leave it to them if required. I'm hoping I'll just be Ok. Also. I have found that Triumph have a lower comfort seat option which brings it down 20mm from the original seat lower setting. That may also be an option.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Freddy 2 cm isn't much of a change. The dogbones are also much cheaper than the seat and you can decide the amount you wish to lower the bike.

:cool: Chico

1 - 19 of 19 Posts