Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you all carry security wise?

I don’t plan to leave my bike anywhere for any long period of time but will definitely be using an alarmed disc lock. I’m not sure how possible it is to actually carry a chain but if leaving my bike somewhere outside I’d certainly prefer to chain it up.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Carrying anything on the Bobber is tough, and as Triumph’s own swing arm bag is only designed for 1kg that doesn’t help much either. One option (as some members have done) is to fit a rack to the rear mudguard, which looks good although I don’t know how you feel about carrying extra weight on your swing arm! Another is Bike Brothers bag, which is mounted to the frame and by the looks of it should be strong enough to carry a chain or a U-lock. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
The triumph has a chipped key engine immobilizer that runs thru the bikes ECM the only was to thwart that is to replace the ECM and have another key coded, with the fork locks i think your as safe as your going to get, just remember if a thief wants the bike he will get it

·
Registered
579 Posts
Depending on how much you like your kidneys (in the event of a spill) just loop the chain over a shoulder bandoleer style.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The triumph has a chipped key engine immobilizer that runs thru the bikes ECM the only was to thwart that is to replace the ECM and have another key coded, with the fork locks i think your as safe as your going to get, just remember if a thief wants the bike he will get it
I appreciate they won’t start it, but the fork locks are typically very easily overcome...don’t know if the Bobbers is any better?

The most common means of stealing a bike is to simply lift it into the back of a van. If it’s at leat chained to something then it means an angle grinder is needed to cut through the chain. Of course if they are really determined then they will still take the bike but the hope is... they steal the bike next to mine with just the fork lock on :wink2:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike you might want to check out Pragmasis Security . The dogs twitcher of solid chains and locks ect . I have one at work locked up in the car park , No one even with 6 foot bolt croppers is going to get through the chain.
I’ve ordered the Almax with an accompanying Squire lock which is also impossible the bolt cut by hand. From the research I did they are the top two options out there... although Alex at Almax did a good job of convincing me that his chain is just that little bit better lol

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you're not set on chaining it to something but, want an additional deterrent to the fork locks, try a disc lock. Locks onto the front disc and you can't move the bike at all. As it's usually orange or yellow, it might act as strong visual reminder to move on. Will easily fit in the swing arm bag if you have one. One caveat is to also buy the inexpensive reminder cord (also in orange) which goes from the lock to the end of your handlebar. It's not a deterrent for anyone else just you, not to attempt riding off without unlocking the disc lock :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're not set on chaining it to something but, want an additional deterrent to the fork locks, try a disc lock. Locks onto the front disc and you can't move the bike at all. As it's usually orange or yellow, it might act as strong visual reminder to move on. Will easily fit in the swing arm bag if you have one. One caveat is to also buy the inexpensive reminder cord (also in orange) which goes from the lock to the end of your handlebar. It's not a deterrent for anyone else just you, not to attempt riding off without unlocking the disc lock :)
You must have read my mind... already on order:grin2:

ABUS Detecto 10707551*Brake Disc Lock x Plus 8008 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HGKG9QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QaxWAbAPKTFRD

·
Registered
579 Posts
Instead of a disk lock (thieving little scrotes are not unknown to just smash the disk) have you thought of a

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Throtlock-Motorbike-Handlebar-Brake/dp/B00KGUJ0LE

or a similar make, ok you can still cut the brake line but makes it a wee bit harder to drive it away holding on to another bike for power

Oh and you will never ever accidentally ride away with the lock still on!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Instead of a disk lock (thieving little scrotes are not unknown to just smash the disk) have you thought of a

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Throtlock-Motorbike-Handlebar-Brake/dp/B00KGUJ0LE

or a similar make, ok you can still cut the brake line but makes it a wee bit harder to drive it away holding on to another bike for power

Oh and you will never ever accidentally ride away with the lock still on!
I have looked into these but was a little put off by some of the reviews. The concept is great and their small enough to carry easily. It just seems the build quality isn’t really there?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You must have read my mind... already on order:grin2:

ABUS Detecto 10707551*Brake Disc Lock x Plus 8008 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HGKG9QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QaxWAbAPKTFRD
Good move although that's a pretty pricey one because of the alarm (I didn't want an alarmed version so mine is way less expensive). I assume you read the reviews and get that you need to be careful that the alarm doesn't go off unexpectedly. That's a potential downside of the alarmed version although some swear by them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good move although that's a pretty pricey one because of the alarm (I didn't want an alarmed version so mine is way less expensive). I assume you read the reviews and get that you need to be careful that the alarm doesn't go off unexpectedly. That's a potential downside of the alarmed version although some swear by them.
From the reading I’ve done the issue with them going off/ false triggers, are caused by not keeping them clean.

Fingers crossed it’ll be ok ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From the reading I’ve done the issue with them going off/ false triggers, are caused by not keeping them clean.

Fingers crossed it’ll be ok ;)
Probably will be. I understand it's good to put it on quickly, then don't fool with it or shake it or the bike. Less chance of any false alarms that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
975 Posts
****.....you guys live in rough neighborhoods.
Actually not so. I never lock my bikes nor have I heard of anyone else having theirs stolen.
Just to be clear, I don't really carry my Glock, It is not comfortable to ride or drive while packing. It is a misconception by people who don't live in the US. Most of us don't carry our guns, we just like to own them.

Chico

·
Registered
13 Posts
All you can do is slow the thieves down.
I use an alarmed front brake disk lock and a rear brake disk lock, the sort that spins around if they put a grinder on it.
Both of those fit nicely in the side rear bag Ive got
I also put the front handle bar lock on.

I do also have a heavy duty chain but tend not to use it due to the weight.

Iam guessing that four possibly three burley men could lift the whole bike up and put it in a truck anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts