Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been working on my bike doing lots of work on it and i had the idea of putting on a suicide shifter but was curious if anyone had already done it and had some photos. Id hate to get it done and hate the way it looks or rides.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Hi Byron,

I have no experience with these so can't offer any real advice.

However I commend you for your individual and adventurous spirit.

I think it's worth remembering that in the early days of motorcycles there were lots of systems that are not longer in use today (likely for good reason) but those riders certainly didn't seem to have too much problem riding.

So if you're keen I say go for it. Not for me but if you pull it off, I would be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheerio and good luck with whatever you decided to do.

Roy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ive been working on my bike doing lots of work on it and i had the idea of putting on a suicide shifter but was curious if anyone had already done it and had some photos. Id hate to get it done and hate the way it looks or rides.

I have a Pinterest account that sends me links to photos of bobber mods every day (real PITA mostly) but a lot of custom suicide clutch installs. Try a google image search triumph bobber suicide clutch and see what you come up with.

No interest for me, had a panhead with one. Hated it and dangerous. Didn't make me bad-ass, just stupid.

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Just a thought...fit a faux suicide shifter but leave the real shifter alone. That will give you loads of options without demonstrating the 'suicide' part.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My opinion would be why one earth would you want something so awkward? As Roy says above there is a reason some of these things have passed into history. I am all for authentic, but why not go the whole hog and fit drum brakes and remove the rear suspension while your at it?

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
In the UK I'm sure it would invalidate vehicle type approval?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I’ve recently watched a couple of videos with these shifters. They look interesting but make no sense whatsoever. I mean, what’s the point? Can somebody explain?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a thought...fit a faux suicide shifter but leave the real shifter alone. That will give you loads of options without demonstrating the 'suicide' part.
thanks for the idea! I had decided not to pursue the idea because of the issue of the clutch and a few other reasons but i may look into making one just for the aesthetic now! Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fabricated a foot clutch with a jockey shift on my shovel head . the "cool factor " was off the chart.. however riding it in today's traffic with cellphones etc..,
It takes a lot to get used to .. and it makes it hard to ride another bike bacuse you have gotten into a shift "routine"..
By all means go for it.. just keep in mind, your bike will now become "work" to ride..not as enjoyable as you now know..

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was thinking to put a kick-start in for aesthetics only, leaf springs front end, and also a suicide shifter, but thought, why did I buy a new bobber and want it too be old again. so will wait for the right old bike to come along and build it to an original standard, but until then ride my modern girl.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Just buy a genuine vintage bike with girder front forks, rigid rear end, hand gear change, a lever for a throttle, wing-and-a-prayer brakes, manual oil pump, manual advance and retard and a grand total of around three and a half horse power in the engine. Flat out I reckon it is doing around 30 to 35 mph but that is only a guess as it doesn't have a speedometer. Add to that the necessity for hand signals and you start to get a sense of how incredibly demanding such a machine is to ride. I bought mine for the challenge of learning to ride it, which I very much enjoy, however I take it out only on quiet rural roads with very little traffic and go only relatively short distances on it.

Anyone who even contemplates introducing any of such vintage devices onto a modern bike should be very aware of the potential distraction they may cause and the subsequent impact this may have on your ability to ride the bike safely in today's modern traffic. Changing gear by hand means you have to take your hand off the handlebars, instantly compromising your ability to steer and control the vehicle. I cannot understand why on earth anyone would want to do that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
At first blush, a suicide shift kind of fits the look of the Bobber, but impractical for all reasons cited.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There was a Bobber I saw with a suicide shifter that kept the foot shifter too - so you could use it when you want and just have it there for the cool factor 😎 I’ll try and find the pics

·
Read Only
153 Posts
You mean this one?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I think they look amazingly cool but you might have egg on your face at the first sweeping bend. Picking parts of your bike out of the hedge is not such a good look. I'll stick with the standard setup I think. 😉

1 - 17 of 17 Posts