• Other brand/custom/generic

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have V&H but want more grunt and low note. I found a TEC X-pipe on eBay for a good price. The reviews here on BobberForum seem positive. A couple of questions I've seen varying opinions on. I'm looking for a consensus of views.

Does our engine need some back-pressure to work correctly - i.e., does it need a cat or more restrictive pipes than V&H?

Does the engine need to be re-tuned after, and does the USA Dealer have the right map for it plus aftermarket pipes?

Pretty sure it violates the warranty, but putting the stock cat back on would be simple. If this happened, could they tell?

The TEC looks like it's of excellent construction, and the video was very informative. Comments / opinions on TEC vs. the others?

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I did the TEC x and Gasser slipons. I did not get a new tune, but did do the 12 minute tune. Bike feels better than stock.

It will only void the warranty if the dealer/Triumph can say that whatever problem you may have could be caused by it. IE - if your wiring goes bad, it's unrelated to the Xpipe, so they would have to fix the wiring under warranty.

Eisen had the VH pipes with Xpipe, and I think he had stated that the VHs came alive with sound after Xpipe install.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have V&H but want more grunt and low note. I found a TEC X-pipe on eBay for a good price. The reviews here on BobberForum seem positive. A couple of questions I've seen varying opinions on. I'm looking for a consensus of views.

Does our engine need some back-pressure to work correctly - i.e., does it need a cat or more restrictive pipes than V&H?

Does the engine need to be re-tuned after, and does the USA Dealer have the right map for it plus aftermarket pipes?

Pretty sure it violates the warranty, but putting the stock cat back on would be simple. If this happened, could they tell?

The TEC looks like it's of excellent construction, and the video was very informative. Comments / opinions on TEC vs. the others?
1. The X-Pipe V&H Exhaust combination is a popular choice, not only for the Bobber but for the T120 and Thruxton too. I can't speak from personal experience but I've never heard of any problems from anyone doing this mod, all they ever talk about is how great it sounds!

3. Yes they could tell, but they'd have to show the fault you had was related to the fitting of an X-Pipe. If your claim was engine related then maybe they might try to wriggle out of it but there have been lots of people who have done this without issue so you should be safe but it's your bike it's your choice!

4. TEC are known for making solid no frills stuff at a great price, how they compare to others on the market I don't know? The only thing I'd say is avoid the X-Pipes that are floating/unsupported.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I’m not sure that any x-pipe or slip-on is better than any other. A lot of personal opinion in that decision. For me, my TEC x-pipe and Trident pipes work well. I just got a PCV but haven’t had a chance to install it and schedule a dyno run yet. I’m also undecided on the air box delete mod for now.

Mike

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m not sure that any x-pipe or slip-on is better than any other. A lot of personal opinion in that decision. For me, my TEC x-pipe and Trident pipes work well. I just got a PCV but haven’t had a chance to install it and schedule a dyno run yet. I’m also undecided on the air box delete mod for now.Mike
Some x pipes are definitely better than others, flow/size of the bends, plus merge collector type scavenging, all of which improve low/mid range grunt.

I use a meerkat on my speed twin, dyno showed 96rwhp & 83 ftlb 127mph front wheel comes up quite often with no other mods.

The meerkat pipe is freestanding, I have shown it no mercy & is rock solid.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I used the Motone, 'cos that's what A&J supply. I would have thought the differences between X-pipes is very small compared to any X-pipe versus the cat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did the TEC x and Gasser slipons. I did not get a new tune, but did do the 12 minute tune. Bike feels better than stock.

It will only void the warranty if the dealer/Triumph can say that whatever problem you may have could be caused by it. IE - if your wiring goes bad, it's unrelated to the Xpipe, so they would have to fix the wiring under warranty.

Eisen had the VH pipes with Xpipe, and I think he had stated that the VHs came alive with sound after Xpipe install.

Hi. What’s a 12 min tune? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
"What's a 12 min tune?" Are you kidding me?

It's MAGIC. That's what it is.

It makes your bike's ECU adapt perfectly to any modification imaginable, maximizes horsepower, optimizes torque, doubles tire traction, makes your wiener bigger and prevents unwanted pregnancies.

Everybody knows that. Jeez.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"What's a 12 min tune?" makes your wiener bigger -GPz/Gary
:laugh::grin2:
Top of the list for my next mod! Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished. Installed the Tec Bike Parts version. Aside from a little bit of bending on the bracket which holds the heat shield, the fitment is pretty spot-on for an aftermarket part. The quality of the build is exceptional, and astounding, considering the price.
The job isn't too difficult, especially with the video. Follow it step by step, things go back together much more easily if their procedure is followed. Pay close attention to torque values, and don't guess. The exhaust header flanges are deceptively low-torque, The frame cradle also has significantly different torque values on the engine mount, vs the frame.
I did it outside in drizzle/rain, on a motorcycle jack. This made it a lot more difficult on me than it needed to be, but it still only took about 2.5 hours and only a few cuss words.
First impressions on sound. At idle, the volume isn't much greater, but the sound is different. The depth of the sound is still there with just a bit more 'blappy-ness' than with just the V&H and cat installed. I wouldn't say you sacrifice that deep warm sound, but a little 'whap' and volume are added to it. But, it's subtle, and my initial impression is that it's worth it.
It's definitely louder when you get on the gas, though, very significantly. It sounds much more alive and 'grumbly.' Decelerating in gear is nice, I like those pops and backfires which are more apparent now. Road testing is where it comes alive with much more throat and aggressiveness. I like it, and I think as I get used to it, I'll love it. I didn't dislike the sound before, though. I just wanted it a bit louder.

Performance wise, I'd say the throttle is a bit more responsive. I don't think there's any extra 'power' though. This would be consistent with what I've experienced with my 4-wheel vehicles where I've done a cat-delete also. The throttle was much more immediate there as well and coupled with extra volume, it can be easily mistaken for extra power.

For about $175 there's little downside. If you're someone even thinking about a cat-delete, I'd recommend doing it. It's easily reversible, but I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you do the 12-minute tune? It’s a must.
Yes, although I started and stopped it before a couple of times to check for leaks. It took much longer than 12 minutes. Finally, I moved the idle from 1K to about 1500 or 2000. Then the fan finally came on.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes, although I started and stopped it before a couple of times to check for leaks. It took much longer than 12 minutes. Finally, I moved the idle from 1K to about 1500 or 2000. Then the fan finally came on.
That's not how it's done. You mustn't touch the throttle from start to finish.

Chico

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm told. But I'm dubious on the need for it anyway.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts