Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m one that enjoys tinkering so here I am with another custom seat.

My 1st custom seat was pretty good with a reshaping of the stock foam and addition of memory foam drastically improving comfort around town and transitions in the canyons. Plus a black diamond reskin gave it a snazzy look. I also polished the seat pan to give the seat a little more pop. It also had the added benefit of reflecting my under seat directionals. Visibility is significantly increased at night. I think of this as my “Friday night out” seat.

My 2nd attempt was geared more towards orthopedic comfort on long days in the saddle. I measured the distance between my seat bones, added some more memory foam, and sanded out a groove to reduce perineal pressure. Finally it was reskinned distressed brown for a more casual look. Installed on a black seat pan with a brass plaque, it gives off a vintage vibe. This is my “Sunday morning” seat.

I’m going for a long ride tomorrow to see if seat #2 meets the design goal. What I love about the Bobber is that I can change seats in 5 minutes depending on my mood or ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The brown one looks like a great idea. That style of seat is becoming more popular for long distance bicycle riders. Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did you have the same shop in Canoga Park do the work? I’ve been wanting to go visit that shop, but definitely want to check out your seat in person.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, JP. The front of his shop is a lawnmower repair business and his seat workshop is in the back. I tell him exactly how I want it and it comes out a few days later exactly as I pictured it in my mind. Fair price too.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to report the seat works very well! Attached pics from before my ride. Looks pretty good on the bike. It’s still not a tourer but sitting here (at Neptune’s Nest) for lunch, I’m not sore at all after 100mi with another 100mi to go. Got a lot of compliments from the Harley crowd. I’m going to modify seat #1 with low density foam down the middle to try relieving perineal pressure without having to sand out a groove.

It’s a beautiful sunny day in Malibu and 77°F along PCH. Only negative of the day... CEL came on and CC is disabled (wouldn’t usually miss it but it would have been useful today). It’s probably due to removing the O2 sensors this morning before taking off. I installed O2 eliminator plugs to try and trick the ECU but apparently they didn’t work. I’ll have to check the CEL when I get home. Otherwise the bike is pulling hard and running great.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did 200 miles today with a short 30min lunch break and a fuel stop. My butt feels fine. No perineal pain whatsoever. I would heartily recommend this seat design but keep in mind that we come in different shapes and sizes. My 175lb 5’ 8” frame had no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts