Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just taken the plunge and treated myself to a Beeline Moto sat nav and although I haven't travelled too far yet my initial thoughts are it's great! It's only provides basic turn by turn navigation so you still have to read the road and the signs, and it won't tell you where the next gas station is or what the speed limit is on any given road but I think that's part of it's old school charm. It's small, neat, and understated with over 30hrs of battery life, and I think it goes really well with the bobber's aesthetic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm with you on the aesthetics of it - it's not clunky like a phone mounted to the bar.

Reactions: Bobber-Bomb

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you on the aesthetics of it - it's not clunky like a phone mounted to the bar.
With the minimal info it offers it's also not as distracting as a phone plus mounted on the handled bars I find I can just glance down at it as I would my instruments and then get my eyes back on the road.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I bought the metal bar clamp for my Beeline. It seems like a more secure mount.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've done a few more runs with the Beeline now, so I thought it would be good to do an updated review.

Pros:
  • Small, light, in-obtrusive.
  • Not distracting as it only provides turn by turn information that can be picked up at a glance.
  • 30hrs battery life, no need for external power.
  • Easy to read backlit screen.
  • Easy to swap between bikes.
  • Easy to remove when not needed.
  • Easy route planning with the App.
  • If you go off route it re-routes really quickly.
Cons:
  • The Beeline route planning App is not as good as Google Maps.
  • It doesn't give optional routes.
  • It doesn't estimate how long your journey will take.
  • It doesn't take account of traffic or road closures.
  • No option for voice commands.
  • If you want to change or modify your route while riding you need to stop, take your gloves off, and take your phone out of your pocket.
  • You can import routes from Google Maps but you have to first convert them to a GPX file, which is a bit of a faff and then you still don't get realtime traffic updates.
  • You have to be really careful where you put your Way Points as if you don't pass directly through them the Beeline will constantly try to send you back.
  • The GPS often lacks pin point accuracy (although this might be an iPhone thing).
  • It's not unusual for the distance count down for a turn to be 30metres out. This is not normally a problem as the turn you want is usually obvious but sometimes particularly in a town or city it's not!
  • It's a shame they don't use all the screen. Only centre of the screen lights up which makes some of the graphics like the number of the exit you need from a traffic island quite small. If the screen was edge to edge they could probably double this graphic.
In conclusion as a basic fuss free navigational aid it works well. Yes on occasions it can get confused and not give clear guidance on where to turn but that's the same with any sat nav.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you have to have it on a route to save the route or can you have it on, do what ever you want and it records the route? (Like Strava -Example).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sounds a good piece of kit. Can you plan a non direct route on it. (scenic etc) or does it just take you the quickest way. Might be just what the doctor ordered 😋

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. It would be nice if it could.
Yes the Beeline App like the unit itself is very basic:

• No ETA
  • No route options
  • No traffic
  • No street names
  • No route logging
Compared to the turn by turn Bluetooth navigation offered by the latest OEM Triumph and BMW connect Apps (for use with their TFT screens) it looks very dated.

A Beeline wouldn’t be my choice for touring Europe or but for occasional use on the bobber it’s great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts