Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost ran into a juvenile deer this morning. He jumped out of a hedgerow almost in front of me. :surprise: I had zero time to react but - lucky for me - the deer pivoted and ran along beside me for a few yards before darting back into the woods. :|

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’ve only had near misses with deer, but a friend of mine told me to steer toward their rear end (posterior) if you have to pass a deer in the road because they most likely will head in the direction they are facing. Does anyone have experience doing this? Asking for a friend. ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Normally you just have no time to do anything, even you don't have time to get scared, it's just a luck what saves you.
Like a week ago, cruising 110km/h a mid day(thats time you never expect it in our era) a deer jumped 10-15m in front, you pass(thin air between deer ass and you) it faster than you can say "s h i t".

My suggestions is, if you time to do anything, then only brake as much you can, don't steer. If all goes wrong, strait hit with it will cause you less damage, steering can end you up on forest.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I hit a bat once. Thought it was a giant moth that smacked me in the chest. Looking down, I saw this dead bat lying in my lap.

Crazy!

·
Super Moderator
778 Posts
We don't get many deer in this area of the UK, mainly muntjack (about the size of a large dog), but a few years back I was riding up in Suffolk towards the coast in an area of extensive heathland, and caught a deer running along parallel to me in the corner of my eye, and hewas doing a good 30+mph... I nailed it past... Have been first on scene once (in a car) wehre a car had hit a deer, and that was a mess..

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Yikes. Not looking forward to experiencing that. I see the vids on youtube of deer being hit.

Norther Va is littered with deer. I see them every day, all year, in my own lawn.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I went out to get the paper this morning two deer were standing beside my driveway. :surprise: Maybe they were here to see me about their buddy that I almost ran into yesterday. :frown2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dropped a bike once because of a deer. Very low speed as I was about to stop but still. When they jump in front of you you have no time to react at all. Even more at night! Glad you got lucky!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yikes. Not looking forward to experiencing that. I see the vids on youtube of deer being hit.

Norther Va is littered with deer. I see them every day, all year, in my own lawn.

Tell me about it. Last November I hit a 6 pointer just inside Winchester city limits on Rte 7 with my Toyota - $3,000+ in damages. Then this past June I hit one just north of Winchester on Rte 522 with my Tiger.
At least that one only cost me $450 to replace the left pannier that it dented all to crap.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I recall when I was around 17 or so, I was coming home and tanking it around one of my favorite corners, doing about 70. I hit a pheasant head on. I was furious as it bent my headlight bracket, so got my revenge by turning around picket it up and took it home to cook...yummy:grin2:

I remember ducking in a panic as I thought it was going to hit me in the face, so I guess it could have been worse.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do not target fixate on the one you see, scan for the ones you can't see. They are a social animal. If time permits and it is crossing in front of you point the bike at the deer and make it move don't try to guess where it will move, just scan and brake. If it is running with you scan and brake. I see deer daily, moose at night that a different game you can't see them right in front of you their fur absorb the light from your headlight. Look for a BLACK hole in the darkness and slow down. Don't out ride your headlight

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Tell me about it. Last November I hit a 6 pointer just inside Winchester city limits on Rte 7 with my Toyota - $3,000+ in damages. Then this past June I hit one just north of Winchester on Rte 522 with my Tiger.
At least that one only cost me $450 to replace the left pannier that it dented all to crap.
Yeeesh. Scary on the Tiger!

I'm familiar with all those areas. Was just up in Martinsburg WV over the weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts