Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
finally got around to doing the airbox delete.

sprint airpod filters, viba wire harness cover, k&n crankcase breather, and booster plug all from a&j cycles. thanks for all the good advice from everyone on going about this (there were a good amount of threads/posts)

as i expected though, the check engine light is now on (as a lot of others have experienced this, especially with me having the x-pipe and aftermarket exhausts). will this potentially turn off? or basically will i have to go about doing a remap? just finished it up this evening, so haven't goten a chance to ride the bike and really test it out. just started it up for a little bit and did notice a little bit more of a throaty overall sound (then again, may just be my imagination)

Attachments

·
Vendor
515 Posts

sprint airpod filters, viba wire harness cover, k&n crankcase breather, and booster plug all from a&j cycles. thanks for all the good advice from everyone on going about this (there were a good amount of threads/posts)

as i expected though, the check engine light is now on (as a lot of others have experienced this, especially with me having the x-pipe and aftermarket exhausts). will this potentially turn off? or basically will i have to go about doing a remap? just finished it up this evening, so haven't goten a chance to ride the bike and really test it out. just started it up for a little bit and did notice a little bit more of a throaty overall sound (then again, may just be my imagination)
Pretty sure the only reason customers have had the check engine light come on was if the started the bike with the air intake sensor that is in the air box disconnected.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine came on after each of those mods but went away after some riding and I don’t have the booster plug. I do have the x pipe air box delete and V&H exhausts

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mine came on after each of those mods but went away after some riding and I don’t have the booster plug. I do have the x pipe air box delete and V&H exhausts

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
good news, is that the check engine light finally turned off after a little riding as well!
whew!

i'm also a fan of the new booster plug that i also installed while doing the airbox delete. much smoother at slow speeds, and less exhaust pops. as many have done, i also located the boosterplug sensor in area under the seat and seems to work fine. may extend the wire if i get around to it and locate it up near headlamp.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pretty sure the only reason customers have had the check engine light come on was if the started the bike with the air intake sensor that is in the air box disconnected.
good advice too when doing the install. as when i was going about it, i didn't realize that the factory air sensor that's connected to the left airbox needed to be removed (brian helped greatly with walking me through my questions with that and the booster plug). the engine light still came on, but like bearju it eventually turned off after a few rides. thanks a&j for great products and service!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would do the booster plug but I already put in a PCV. Hoping over the winter to get and install the auto tune.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
261 Posts

I’m in the middle of the airbox delete. Everything is removed. Just waiting on the filters and crankcase breather to show up tomorrow. I’m ordering the booster plug today.

Question on the hook up. I know on the left side there the AIT sensor plug that plugs into the airbox. Obviously I disconnected that plug. I’m assuming that plug will plug into the booster plug? I’m a bit sketchy on the other plug that’s on the booster plug. Does that one not get used since the airbox is gone?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’m in the middle of the airbox delete. Everything is removed. Just waiting on the filters and crankcase breather to show up tomorrow. I’m ordering the booster plug today.

Question on the hook up. I know on the left side there the AIT sensor plug that plugs into the airbox. Obviously I disconnected that plug. I’m assuming that plug will plug into the booster plug? I’m a bit sketchy on the other plug that’s on the booster plug. Does that one not get used since the airbox is gone?
i was a little confused too, so no worries mate. there's a plug that plugs into the airbox that you disconnect. once the left airbox is removed and out, then locate where that plug that you disconnected was plugged in to. it will be a small sensor that is connected to the airbox via one small allen bolt. remove that bolt and then take out that little factory sensor piece. (i forgot to remove this but later realized my mistake). the booster plug has two connection wires. one will fit into that little air sensor module, and the other goes to that plug that you initially disconnected. one's male, other female so no need to worry about making the wrong connection.

i found a great challenge, as i have the viba wire harness cover, was that now with that added booster plug module it took some time getting all those wires and fuses, neatly organized to all fit under the cover.

oh and another challenge that i faced when removing all the necessary parts was as another member stated:
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/113-triumph-supersport-bobber-general-discussion/2065-air-box-elimination-correctly-sized-headlight-13.html

which was trying to get that plastic bracket off that's connected to the injectors. one tip was loosening the throttle bodies, but for me, i just took off the one bolt that i could get to, then i just cut through with a dremel the other side and pulled it off.

best wishes for your conversion! engine light will most likely come on at first, but should go away after some riding.

·
Registered
261 Posts

i was a little confused too, so no worries mate. there's a plug that plugs into the airbox that you disconnect. once the left airbox is removed and out, then locate where that plug that you disconnected was plugged in to. it will be a small sensor that is connected to the airbox via one small allen bolt. remove that bolt and then take out that little factory sensor piece. (i forgot to remove this but later realized my mistake). the booster plug has two connection wires. one will fit into that little air sensor module, and the other goes to that plug that you initially disconnected. one's male, other female so no need to worry about making the wrong connection.

i found a great challenge, as i have the viba wire harness cover, was that now with that added booster plug module it took some time getting all those wires and fuses, neatly organized to all fit under the cover.

oh and another challenge that i faced when removing all the necessary parts was as another member stated:
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/113-triumph-supersport-bobber-general-discussion/2065-air-box-elimination-correctly-sized-headlight-13.html

which was trying to get that plastic bracket off that's connected to the injectors. one tip was loosening the throttle bodies, but for me, i just took off the one bolt that i could get to, then i just cut through with a dremel the other side and pulled it off.

best wishes for your conversion! engine light will most likely come on at first, but should go away after some riding.
Thanks for the walk through. That clears up a huge question. That other connector had me stumped. Makes sense now. Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts