Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I've seen a few posts about this, just wanted to add my opinion after doing the mod myself...

I have a Bobber Black, spent too much money on mods, but couldn't resist this one.

I love the looks of the pod filters, makes the bike look more like a real bobber IMO. They also produce a phenomenal roar on intake and it wakes up the whole bike.

I got the waterproof filter 'kit' from A&J Cycles, great guys there, and I had an issue attaching the filters only because I wasn't positioning the clamp far enough back at the end of the filter (good thing I work with computers, not bikes). Other than that I had to shave off some of the support bracket for the old intake system (couldn't remove because it's holding some electrical connector so I shaved it down) and it worked great.

If I were to do it again, the only thing I would change would be to do what another member on here did and make my own cover for the electronics, as I bought the VIBA harness cover and honestly I think it's an overpriced piece of flimsy plastic material... it does the job ~okay~ but I think I could have made a better one out of leather like that other member did, but I already paid for it and needed a cover, so oh well, I'll live with it!

Other than that, it sounds amazing, looks 'mean', and puts a giant smile on my face every time I give it throttle.
So, if you like the look, I say go for it and do the mod, other than the cover, it's pretty cheap for the filters and crankcase breather, and the smiles per dollar is off the charts!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about it!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you had any issues with the check engine light coming on after the filter install? I just put them on and was greeted with that light on the cluster and im wondering if it will go away after a few miles or if something is going on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had any issues with the check engine light coming on after the filter install? I just put them on and was greeted with that light on the cluster and im wondering if it will go away after a few miles or if something is going on.
Nope haven't had any issues. Did you make sure to plug the air intake sensor back in after removing it from the left side airbox? It really shouldn't trip any codes/issues as you are replacing all connections fully anyways. I'd go back through and make sure nothing came loose if I were you before taking a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to do this eventually, it looks really clean!

How long did the install take you?
Not too long, most annoying part for me was shaving that bracket down for the filters to fit. Airbox comes out in maybe 20 minutes, tops. Everything else goes on in another 30 minutes. It's not too bad of a job

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nope haven't had any issues. Did you make sure to plug the air intake sensor back in after removing it from the left side airbox? It really shouldn't trip any codes/issues as you are replacing all connections fully anyways. I'd go back through and make sure nothing came loose if I were you before taking a trip to the dealer.
Yea I made sure to remove the sensor from the left side box and attached it to the frame. Was there only one sensor or did the right box have one as well? I do not remember seeing it when taking them off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I made sure to remove the sensor from the left side box and attached it to the frame. Was there only one sensor or did the right box have one as well? I do not remember seeing it when taking them off.
Just the left side. That's interesting, then. I removed the sensor and connector from the box and also attached to the frame.

Might be worth a trip to your local parts store to borrow an OBD-II computer to see what the code is.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks great!
i'm super excited as this is exactly what i'm getting ready to do (once i get my bike back from unfortunate warranty fork issues). i have the sprint pod filters and viba cover from A&J at the ready. a few quick questions: i didn't know how complex it is removing the airbox and couldn't find any instructions or videos showing how it's done on the bobber. is it pretty simple and straight-forward? although captain french got everything working fine (which i hope i have the same luck) but some people are experiencing some issues (check engine light, etc.). i currently have the cat-delete x-pipe, and aftermarket exhausts, so after completing this mod would i most likely be in need of the powercommander, or at least the booster plug to help prevent any issues?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You’ll probably have some check engine light issues but it’ll go away. I have new pipes, x-pipe, and no air box and the bike runs fine. A lot popping on hard deceleration which I’ll get it tuned to fix but that’s the only problem I’ve had.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
359 Posts
You’ll probably have some check engine light issues but it’ll go away. I have new pipes, x-pipe, and no air box and the bike runs fine. A lot popping on hard deceleration which I’ll get it tuned to fix but that’s the only problem I’ve had.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
thanks!

i've heard good things about the booster plug on eliminating those exhaust pops, but i'm sure a proper tune would be the best bet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great!
i'm super excited as this is exactly what i'm getting ready to do (once i get my bike back from unfortunate warranty fork issues). i have the sprint pod filters and viba cover from A&J at the ready. a few quick questions: i didn't know how complex it is removing the airbox and couldn't find any instructions or videos showing how it's done on the bobber. is it pretty simple and straight-forward? although captain french got everything working fine (which i hope i have the same luck) but some people are experiencing some issues (check engine light, etc.). i currently have the cat-delete x-pipe, and aftermarket exhausts, so after completing this mod would i most likely be in need of the powercommander, or at least the booster plug to help prevent any issues?

Removing the airbox is very easy. They want you to take the tank off because there is a small screw on either side of the top of the throttle bodies that is tough to get to without it, but I kept the tank on and just used extensions instead.

I also have an x pipe and aftermarket pipes, and a booster plug. No check engine light for me, but I think about a real time frequently, just not ready to spend the money on it as it runs great as is.

Oh another member also posted a fabulous collection of service manuals on here somewhere that I downloaded as a zip and it has instructions for everything you could ever want to do. I referenced that taking off the air box

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About to do this mod in the next few days.
good luck!

keep us posted on how it goes. (plus any tips on the install are much appreciated!)

Only tip I can think of is to clamp the new filters on in the right place, which is as far back towards the end of their flange opening as you can. Other than that, just make sure you get the cables routed neatly for the VIBA cover to fit well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts