Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone begun working on air box elimination for their Bobber? On the Down and Out customized Bobber I see they've done it. I'm hoping for a kit rather than recreating the wheel.
Opening the view through the frame is the way to go for a true Bobber look.

On a separate note, I think the headlight on my Bobber is under sized. Working with my guy Mark Plazak at South Bay Motorsports, Chula Vista, California, we discovered the T100 headlight fits the space much better. Along with a set of British Customs mounting ears, I should have the light on this weekend, photos to come.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Has anyone begun working on air box elimination for their Bobber? On the Down and Out customized Bobber I see they've done it. I'm hoping for a kit rather than recreating the wheel.
Opening the view through the frame is the way to go for a true Bobber look.

On a separate note, I think the headlight on my Bobber is under sized. Working with my guy Mark Plazak at South Bay Motorsports, Chula Vista, California, we discovered the T100 headlight fits the space much better. Along with a set of British Customs mounting ears, I should have the light on this weekend, photos to come.
Do you mean a kit like this?
https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en/triumph/news/aircleaner-high-flow-kit-for-triumph-thruxton-1200-bonneville-t120-water-repellent.html

This is one mod i WON´T be doing.
I like the stock look (ALOT) and putting those filters next to my trousers will make for some hefty dry cleaning bills :wink2:
Also, i am not sure if they will affect the position and comfort of my long legs...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the new headlight on. Used a T100 headlight, black can with a black bezel. I used the British Customs mounting ears as well. It was almost plug and play. The running light didn't match up so I had to splice old to new. The mounting ears could be about 2mm wider. Still, very happy with the result. Here is a side by side, new and old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Got the new headlight on. Used a T100 headlight, black can with a black bezel. I used the British Customs mounting ears as well. It was almost plug and play. The running light didn't match up so I had to splice old to new. The mounting ears could be about 2mm wider. Still, very happy with the result. Here is a side by side, new and old.
I think that looks great! Nicely done!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does look great! The other nice thing about using the T100 headlamp it gives way to utilizing a 51/2 inch LED after market lamp. I could not find any to upgrade as the Bobber stock light is 5 inches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great job!!!! Actually it looks better with the larger headlight. This is the way it should have been to start with. How is the lighting? I know the high beams suck as it is now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Bobber looks better with a larger headlight. Can you change the bulb in the T100 headlight unit or is it stuck with whatever bulb it comes with?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey MikeMAC,

Which T100 headlight did you use?
Was it the Triumph original or a replacement?

Thanks, Stoli.

Hey Stoli,
I sent the parts list to you in a private message. I think its a great mod and its not too difficult, good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
you knocked it out of the park with this mod! i always did think the stock headlight was a little small. now after seeing your photos and how awesome it looks (fits better with the bike), i now really notice how small the stock headlamp looks and can't stop always staring at it. this will definitely be my next mod (after i get my x-pipe). can you direct me/us to the lamp part#. was searching online for a T-100 headlamp, but didn't have much luck. when you mentoned the mounting ears could be 2mm wider, is that because there's a little gap, or the headlamp is not resting flush in between? thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you knocked it out of the park with this mod! i always did think the stock headlight was a little small. now after seeing your photos and how awesome it looks (fits better with the bike), i now really notice how small the stock headlamp looks and can't stop always staring at it. this will definitely be my next mod (after i get my x-pipe). can you direct me/us to the lamp part#. was searching online for a T-100 headlamp, but didn't have much luck. when you mentoned the mounting ears could be 2mm wider, is that because there's a little gap, or the headlamp is not resting flush in between? thanks!

Thanks so much. From the first time I saw the Bobber I loved it, except for the headlight. Thanks to Mark Plazak at South Bay Motorsports here in San Diego, I was able to make the change shortly after taking delivery of the bike. The British Customs mounting ears are very close to a perfect fit. I'm not sure if the Bobber's forks are a bit more narrow than the T-100 or if the British Customs ears are slightly narrower than the Triumph mounts. The entire set up is just a few millimeters off. However, I was able to make up the difference over the various adjustment points and its not at all noticeable.

The parts: As you likely know, you can't just buy a completed headlight from Triumph; you have to purchase the individual parts and assemble the light. I purchased the mounting ears from British Customs http://www.british-customs.com/headlight-ears-black. The rest are genuine Triumph parts from my dealer.

Here is the list of Triumph part numbers, a description of each item and quantity of each needed part:

P/N T3205156

M8 bolt

Two

P/N T2796508

Headlamp with bulb

One

P/N T2706555

Spring Clip

Three

P/N T2704021

Headlight Bezel

One

P/N T3331436

Self-tapping screw

Two

P/N T2706509-PG

Headlight Bowl, black

One

P/N T2703787

Bracket Connector

One

P/N T3330941

M5 screw

Two

P/N T3555033

Washer

Two

Good luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks so much. From the first time I saw the Bobber I loved it, except for the headlight. Thanks to Mark Plazak at South Bay Motorsports here in San Diego, I was able to make the change shortly after taking delivery of the bike. The British Customs mounting ears are very close to a perfect fit. I'm not sure if the Bobber's forks are a bit more narrow than the T-100 or if the British Customs ears are slightly narrower than the Triumph mounts. The entire set up is just a few millimeters off. However, I was able to make up the difference over the various adjustment points and its not at all noticeable.

The parts: As you likely know, you can't just buy a completed headlight from Triumph; you have to purchase the individual parts and assemble the light. I purchased the mounting ears from British Customs http://www.british-customs.com/headlight-ears-black. The rest are genuine Triumph parts from my dealer.

Here is the list of Triumph part numbers, a description of each item and quantity of each needed part:

P/N T3205156

M8 bolt

Two

P/N T2796508

Headlamp with bulb

One

P/N T2706555

Spring Clip

Three

P/N T2704021

Headlight Bezel

One