Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looing into doing a air box delete on my 2018 Bobber Black. I removed the fender and added new taillights a few weeks back and had a **** of time with the wiring since nothing was plug n play. With what I know about removing the air boxes I should not have many issues with wires except the use box needing to get zipped somewhere.

Any tips or things I should be looking out for?

Is it worth getting a Viba Harness to hide it??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Removing the stock airboxes will be time consuming, but there are plenty of walkthrough videos on Youtube for it. It seems pretty straight forward, I would recommend doing one side at a time for disassembly.

Most people will speak strongly against the viba wiring harness cover. When I bought my bobber, it came with one. I had to take it off to readjust it and was able to get it to fit a little better, but I will say it does feel cheaply made and aligning the downward bolt on the side opposite the fuse block cover proved to be a tremendous pain in the ass. There are a lot of other options out there, including making one yourself, that could provide a better fit for a much lower cost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the feedback, I defiantly will be doing it as one of my winter projects when I can't ride so if it takes a day or two it will be worth it. I may skip the Viba Harness to start and see what I can come up with once I have everything tied down.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the Viba cover is fine, and the neatest solution albeit a bit pricey.
Don't expect that the cover is going to compress all the junk underneath and keep it in place. For the cover to sit correctly without bending, flexing, etc it shouldn't be in contact with anything underneath, just "floating" on the frame - achieving that is the hard bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried the Viba cover and ended up making my own. Willing to sell you the Viba for $100 if you are interested in that option. Be sure to relocate the air temp sensor from the left airbox. I made a bracket out of aluminum and mounted it between the throttle bodies for protection and to ensure it got an accurate reading on the incoming air. Don't forget this piece or you will get all kinds of errors from the ECU. Couple of pics attached show the cover I ended up making
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh yeah, don't forget the breathers. A&J cycles has some good options for those
The work you did looks great! Like the idea I was originally thinking having one of those leather covers but I like the way you can customize the look with the etching or decals.

I was looking at A&J as well since they seemed to have everything I needed and have more the BC does for mods.

Thanks for reminding me about the air temp sensor since I would had to be running "check engine" all the time. I assume that it is just a unplug it and then plug it back in with a zip tie up by the breather? Or in your experience does it need to be somewhere where it gets more airflow?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Flow isn't as important as getting a temperature reading as close to the point of intake as possible. A ziptie will work but the sensor housing is plastic so just be aware of vibration and potential damage from knocking around. The covers I made are just 1/8" thk aluminum plate cut to size and painted then ziptied in place. Over the winter I plan on making more permanent mounting brackets for them. I've seen all kinds of different covers people have made, everything from leather to painted wood so use your imagination and have fun with it

·
Registered
95 Posts
Flow isn't as important as getting a temperature reading as close to the point of intake as possible. A ziptie will work but the sensor housing is plastic so just be aware of vibration and potential damage from knocking around. The covers I made are just 1/8" thk aluminum plate cut to size and painted then ziptied in place. Over the winter I plan on making more permanent mounting brackets for them. I've seen all kinds of different covers people have made, everything from leather to painted wood so use your imagination and have fun with it
I have a question, do you have a picture of the bracket and the location you mounted the air temp sensor?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here are the pics as promised, just a little late
I apologize for the quality but it was a juggling act holding the phone and light so you could see what's going on. Pretty self explanatory but let me know if you have questions
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Motor vehicle Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Hood Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here are the pics as promised, just a little late
I apologize for the quality but it was a juggling act holding the phone and light so you could see what's going on. Pretty self explanatory but let me know if you have questions View attachment 56712 View attachment 56712 View attachment 56713 View attachment 56714 View attachment 56715
Ok, I figured that you could use the existing mounting screws to hold the bracket. I just wasn’t sure about the placement of air temp probe. I watched a video from A&J cycles and they just put the probe under the cover that come with kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sure there are a hundred ways to skin this cat and got the same advice from A&J to stuff it into the wiring compartment. But I had some material and time so decided to try and mount it as close as possible to the original location. I'm sure which ever way you decide to go will work for your bike.
Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts