Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The temperature is starting to drop here in Mallorca, so I decided to try out a new full face helmet and warm/insulated wax jacket.

While (still) waiting for my Hedon due mid December, I thought I would order my first ever AGV; it’s the X3000 model in grey/black. I’ve read some very good reviews with no negative comments or major flaws. I was looking for a retro style helmet with wide visor/aperture & minimum air flow that I can close off if necessary (unlike the Bell Bullitt). Also, the interior looks very well made with no weird stitching or pressure points on the forehead area (agin, like the Bullitt which I had to cut and modify the inner liner).
I also ordered a dark visor to protect my big blue eyes from when the sun decides to
come out... :grin2:

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/agv-x3000-helmet-super-agv-black-grey-yellow.html

The Scottish made Merlin Yoxall jacket looks really nice & it too got rave reviews everywhere I looked. Sizing is a bit of an issue with Merlin, so I decided to try out a size Large for my 44” chest. That’s what Urban Rider recommended despite the size chart saying I should be an XL.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/merlin-yoxall-wax-jacket-black.html

Both items should be here by the end of the week, so I’ll update once I’ve had a chance to test them out.

Until then, stay warm and ride safe...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Looking forward to that AGV review, Eisen. I’ve narrowed down my search for a retro full face to the AGV x3000 but, can’t pull the trigger until I’m back in the States. As you’ve said, the reviews have been consistently good with maybe the only downside is no cutouts for comms inside. (But my Shoei fills that void). Love the Bullitt’s but, they’re just too noisy at speed (why Bell can’t fix that is a mystery). Saw that there’s now a Gringo S, which looks great and is much improved from the basic model but, I think it still cuts too many corners. So, AGV it might be and I may have to deal with that too obvious logo on the front.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jerrman,
I totally agree that the Logo is a real eyesore!
My wife asked why they couldn’t put it somewhere less “in your face”.
But I figure that once it’s on, I won’t be able to see it anyway :nerd:

I’ll let you know about fit/finish/noise, etc once I get it. Weather is looking nice for the coming week, so I hope to be able to do a long test ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the AGV X3000 Black/Grey for about 6 months and I'm very happy with it. Its comfortable and comms are very easy to install as nearly all the liner it removable so cables are easily routed and hidden. Also there is a lip running around the bottom of the liner which is really handy for attaching clip on comm devices.

Here are a couple of pictures, in the last picture you might be able to make out one of the speakers installed in my helmet.

My only complaint with the x3000 is that it could be more quiet, but I can forgive that as otherwise I find it very comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for those pics. It’s makes me even happier that I ordered the grey as it looks classy and understated. It’s impossible to see the true color in all the ad/glossy photos online.
The liner looks super comfy.

I won’t be installing comms as I use Bluetooth in-ear headphones or earplugs to protect from noise. But it’s nice to know they it can be fitted if required.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes, agree that it’s good to that the speakers fit in there as that was one of my reservations (I must have misunderstood the Revzilla review, thinking you couldn’t fit them in). As far as being somewhat noisy, if it’s better than the Bell Bullitt, I’ll probably be ok with it. I found after awhile the Bullitt was so noisy on the highway, I was having trouble hearing directions from my Sena. Hopefully, the AGV does a better job. My Shoei does an A+ job on that score but, of course it’s not a retro design. Thanks for the pix.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My AGV arrived this morning and it looks very bit as good (if not better) in person than in the pics.
The interior is so luxurious compared to the Bell Bullitt and though I didn’t have a chance to ride, I did wear it around the house. No discernible/ugly indentations or marks nor pressure points.

The visor gives the same (or a tiny bit less) viewing aperture as the Bullitt. That is very good thing, as I love the massive and open view the Bullitt provides.

It should be noted that the helmet is TIGHT when putting it on (much like the Hedon Heroine). But once on, it feels great ! Also, the chin area is cut relatively high (purposely to copy Agostini’s style), so may not provide the overall protection some riders are looking for. Saying that, the Bullitt is also cut high but not as much as the AGV.

I have a 55/56cm head and the S is spot on. I think it’s built for intermediate oval shape heads and rounder heads might find it a bit of a squeeze. But that’s just my personal opinion and not fact.

I’ll go out for a ride tomorrow - with & without ear protection to see how noise levels are.

First impressions are excellent and I hope the X3000 continues to impress on my ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chico.
Pretty and shiny are usually not my thing, but in this case, the description fits :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Jeez, you guys with peanut heads... When I first started looking at better helmets a few years back, I can't count the number of times my head actually wouldn't go into the helmet! The only one back then that was a possibility was Shoei (RF800???) replaced by another a few years later (XR1100???) then SHoei had a blip and moved into the "can't get the helmet on my head at any price" pile, so went to Schuberth C3.... and as described here now back to Shoei with the Neotec 2

I reckon to imagine my problem, you'd have to try to put on another helmet over your favourite!

:grin2::grin2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to ride about 85KM today with my AGV.

It is a very comfortable & tight fitting helmet. It encompasses all my head/forehead and leaves no area feeling unsecure.
The visor seals SO much better than the Bullitt and the difference in noise is immediately noticable.
The rubber vent strip on my AGV visor was IN, so it could be that without it the helmet will be noisier.
But these are retro helmets, so will never be quiet as state of the art Shoei, Schuberth, etc.
Noise wise i would rate the Bullitt a 3.5 and the AGV a 5.5 out of 10. At lower speeds the AGV is even better at insulating sound and the rating rises to a 7. No such compliment for the Bullitt.

Aerodynamically speaking, the AGV again has the Bullitt beaten. At legal speed limits (+) i had minimal resistance, no head wobble/bobble and zero lift. It felt great on the motorway despite strong winds and cross winds. The AGV feels lighter and much more sport oriented yet works really well in a city environment too.
Viewing port is as expected on the AGV - nice and wide. Not as deep as the Bullitt, but just as good.

4 negative points:
1) The chin strap is very short, which may annoy some (especailly if you have cold fingers and can´t feel exactly where the stap is). I have very, very little strap left over to fold over and clip shut onto the popper.
2) With the vent strip installed on the visor, the visor can fog up and condensate easily. Depite the dark visor being ¨anti fog¨it still steamed up very quickly. Not really a problem for me as i ride the Bobber in fair weather, but as there is no pin lock available yet this may detract some of you who ride in cold/rainy conditions.
3) Changing the visors over is a PITA (easy, but time consuming)
4) As i stated before, the chin area is cut quite high. This means that the chin won´t be as protected as it would be compared to a touring full face helmet. However most retro inspired helmets have this issue.

Even after a short ride, i recommend the AGV over the Bullitt in every respect (especailly as the winter approaches, as the Bullitt´s vents can´t be closed) and i can´t wait to compare the AGV to the Heroine when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write that great review. Definitely makes me feel better about moving from the Bullitt to AGV. If you have a chance to ride without the vent, be curious about whether the sound and/or bobble gets noticeably worse. Also, whether it would fog less (but maybe they’ll make a pin lock at some point).

Thanks, again.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for taking the time to write that great review. Definitely makes me feel better about moving from the Bullitt to AGV. If you have a chance to ride without the vent, be curious about whether the sound and/or bobble gets noticeably worse. Also, whether it would fog less (but maybe they’ll make a pin lock at some point).

Thanks, again.
Hi Jerrman. Always a pleasure doing a write up for our great group.
I’ll give it a try on Sunday when I get out for a longer ride.
I imagine the venting will help the fogging issue, as the visor is so well sealed against the helmet rubber gasket/frame.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Hey Eisen, you mentioned using in-ear bluetooth pods: what do you use and how well do they stay in place as you put on and take off your helmet?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Eisen, you mentioned using in-ear bluetooth pods: what do you use and how well do they stay in place as you put on and take off your helmet?
I tried the helmet with and without.
With my in-ear headphones, I had no issue putting on or taking off the helmet.
In fact it’s easier than with the Bullitt, as the AGV pads are more flexible. The Bullitt is completely rigid all the way round.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts